Why No Crumbs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
As I sit here listening to Crumbs From Your Table I'm asking everyone out there who is a serious fan... Why haven't they played Crumbs yet??? In fact don't you think it should be a live staple - especially with the African angle that seems to be a part of the live show. I think it's a serious missed opportunity on U2's part not including this song - it would be fantastic live and considering the subject matter I just cannot for the life of me understand why it's not being played. Any thoughts???

I agree with everything you said. I love Crumbs. It's now become my favorite album track. I like it far better that COBL and Miracle Drug and All Becauce of You. Before this tour started I was positive that Crumbs would be a show highlight and I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't played it yet.

I'm with you. Prior to the tour it was one of the songs I was most looking forward to hearing. I was hoping it would show up by the time they got to Vancouver, but no such luck. Maybe by the time they hit Portland I'll get my chance to hear it. But I really can't understand why it's not there.

Why no Crumbs? Because they haven't started eating yet.

</LAME>

I too am surprised it's not there. Hopefully soon ...

Its to hard to play...Bono would have to play guitar...just watch the dvd..they play it, and its not that good. Im not saying they wont drop it in eventually...I love the toon..

Maybe they're saving it for the second leg. It would be nice to have some setlist surprises then, just when we think we've heard it all.

Why no Crumbs?

U2 need to play One, and Pride, and NYD, and SBS, and Bullet, and Elevation for the "casual" fan, who might not have ever heard Crumbs.

jexp said:
Its to hard to play...Bono would have to play guitar...just watch the dvd..they play it, and its not that good. Im not saying they wont drop it in eventually...I love the toon..
U2 cover bands are playing it so if it isn't too hard for them to play then it shouldn't be too hard for the real U2.

My theory was that the Pope died right near when the tour commenced, and Bono has said it is critical of the Catholic church. Perhaps, the band felt it would be indelicate of them to play the tune? Maybe after some time has passed. Surely they have to break out this terrific new song sometime. Right?

eh what do I know:huh:

xana dew said:
My theory was that the Pope died right near when the tour commenced, and Bono has said it is critical of the Catholic church. Perhaps, the band felt it would be indelicate of them to play the tune?

Indelicate is not a word in their vocabulary. Listen to the whole anti-war set in the show.

xana dew said:
My theory was that the Pope died right near when the tour commenced, and Bono has said it is critical of the Catholic church. Perhaps, the band felt it would be indelicate of them to play the tune? Maybe after some time has passed. Surely they have to break out this terrific new song sometime. Right?

eh what do I know:huh:
It's not like the song is blatantly attacking the church or the Pope. The references are subtle. When I first heard Crumbs I thought it was about America's lack of support for African aid. I never made a Catholic church connection until I read about it. Besides, the Pope didn't take a real turn for the worse until after the tour rehearsals were nearly completed and there was never any report that they even rehearsed Crumbs.

Last edited:
I've said all along, and still say... This track will blow everyone away when played live. It has been my favorite since I first heard it - then received the DVD.
Larry says on the DVD - he doesn't know where it came from and needs to check into that. Or something like that.
I think it's one of the songs that Bono describes as a gift.
:heart:

I think Crumbs From Your Table will prove to be a gift also, if only to me.

This is not a compairson to One it's just an observation about Crumbs being a phenomental song.:wink:

Last edited:
Bono told fans today that he met at the United Center that Crumbs would appear on the US third leg.

No idea why they are waiting, if he meant it will appear in the US on the third leg (and Europe in a few weeks), if they haven't rehearsed it at all..nothing. Bono talking like Bono...but that is what he said.

It one of the top songs and they could structure it is an amazing way for a live gig - it's gotta be played!!!

"...from the brightest star...comes a blackest hole..."

cmb737 said:
Bono told fans today that he met at the United Center that Crumbs would appear on the US third leg.

Interesting. Did he mention other songs?

Crumbs was my favorite from the beginning. I hope it they play it; it would be great to hear 20-30,000 strong singing "cool down mama, cooling in off"...:applaud:

It has a great beat, maybe even good enough to get on urban radio stations; wonder whether or not our guys have the balls to...:hmm:

probably just wanting to keep variety a possibility when they come back for the future legs, like Bono said. makes sense, especially since set lists changes are always happening at leg changes.

For as great as these shows have been, I think the band is really dropping the ball in terms of some songs that they haven't made a part of the set, and "Crumbs" is a perfect example.

what is this "dvd" of which you kind people speak earlier in this thread. are you referring to the dvd that came with the HTDAAB special edition? does anyone have this to email other kind people (cough) in this thread. you know, ones at jonathan flax at comcast dot net... :wink:

typhoon said:

And "Walk On"...
But they're not playing 'Walk On' or 'Electrical Storm' this tour so what difference does it make if 'Crumbs' may sound a bit like them to some people? I don't happen to think it sounds like either of those songs but clearly some people here do.

MumblingBono said:
They could sub it in for that dreadful yawnfest Miracle Drug.

Totally disagree here, MD rocked at Den 2 and the crowd loved it.

3rd leg is good news.

Very much agree; Crumbs will show up in time; maybe sooner than 3rd leg.

The song is too good to be totally left out of the tour.

Call me stupid but I thought the song was about America's and the Evangelical church's ( the "signs and wonders" reference) lack of aid and compassion for Africa?????

agree with everything you said. I love Crumbs. It's now become my favorite album track. I like it far better that COBL and Miracle Drug and All Becauce of You. Before this tour started I was positive that Crumbs would be a show highlight and I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't played it yet.

Crumbs is def. one of the better songs on the album, but better than COBL??

Back
Top Bottom