Why do you write poetry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To put your thoughts on paper.

To express your feelings.

To share with others.

I have been writing poetry since I was about 8 years old. Back then it was for fun and I got a kick out of being told by my Fourth Grade teacher that I had written a wonderful poem titled "Pink" haha

As I got older I just wrote to keep me sane. I write to get down all my thoughts and I feel that I express myself better in writing than I do in conversation.
For me its a complete release as Im the type of person who holds their feelings inside. I bottle everything up and hold a lot back because I don't want to burden others with my problems.
Therefore writing is my saviour.

Poetry, because I love creating something that has come frm my thoughts but can be read in a way that perhaps hides what truly is being said, or can be taken in different ways.
I write mainly for myself and only really share my writing in places like this and with a very select few people whom Im close to.
I guess now I find it harder to write here as you guys have gotten to know me better and so its hard to share things that are more personal.

On another note, I love reading poetry, I love the way it flows and its one genre that i think is majorly underrated and should have more response from readers.
The internet is helping.
I just love reaidng a poem and finding that it reaches deep down in my soul and grabs hold of me, and every so often you will read poetry that makes you stop and realise someone else felt the same way you do and at times that can be frightening and so liberating.
I have found that here with the wonderful poets this place has offered. Many of whom have come and gone now unfortunately.

Poetry is something special.
It also stops me from going crazy. Well, crazier than I already am.

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 05-19-2002).]

I write poetry because great poetry written by others inspires me (and depresses me at the same time, because I know I can't write something as good as that). I prefer poetry over prose in that poetry allows you to express things that prose can't. Sometimes you can get closer to the meaning of things by leaving behind the rules that govern prose and using words with the liberty that poetry allows. (that was a bad sentence)

I also write poetry because it tells me a lot about myself. I write poems and I find out things about myself that I never knew. I know what my preoccupations and fascinations are by the themes that come up again and again. Occasionally other people read my poems and reveal to me that the poetry is saying things about me that I would never have noticed.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 05-19-2002).]

Writing anything is pure torture imo, it really is. I'm deeply ambivalent about it all.

Oh to be a dyslexic rock n roll singer.

------------------
It's not the twilight zone

when I was little I would have said for fun. then I would have said as a release. I'm writing less and less though because it seems like a painful way of hanging on to stuff I should really get over. The internet in general (well communicating on it) has a similar effect for me as well for some reason). for me it's just really a part of mental balance; I don't want to stop writing and forget about things, but I don't want to dwell on them thru things like writing and forget to live thru them. I'm sure that made perfect sense (yes I am slightly crazy)!

I write poetry to help with my anger, stress, sadness and confusion. I have never shared ne of my poetry with ne 1 because I am to shy to. I wouldn't want ne 1 to laugh at me.:(

I write poetry to capture memories and feelings I guess..but sometimes it's too personal to share,it's a great way of channeling emotion though i guess and sometimes making others understand how you feel.

All of the above.

it just blurps out sometimes, I rarely edit. It's a far mor direct link to my subconcious than I usually have... sometimes I don't like what comes out but it's all me. I think.

I haven't even written much lately... job, stuff... I'm probably overdue for an explosion of bad angsty poems. You have been warned :)

I also tend to bottle things up... I also haven't shown ANYONE IRL what I write, with a few small exceptions, and those were just funny ones that didn't really mean anything.
Well, recently. It's been a long time since my year 10 writers workshop class. That was cool.

What I hate is sitting there with a page before me, a pen in my hand, and a soul full of STUFF and nothing comes out. That is depressing. And I'm afraid that if I tried to write something now, that's what would happen.

Oh well, I have a bit of a backlog from the last year or so.

(PS - god that sounded pretentious! Sorry!)

I'm not sure what I write could be called poetry at least not in a metre/rhyme sense, like someone else said its more beacuse you have to because its an exorcism for the soul, or screaming onto "paper" or letting out something that needs to go. Sometimes therapy sometimes pleasure sometimes both.

Oh look this is my first official post!

I write poetry because if I keep my emotions inside it's bad trouble...it's like therapy and calming of the soul to have words just pour out of you.

it's been such a long time since I've been around these parts. Funny, so much has changed, and yet, so much hasn't. I don't know if those I knew still spend their days dreaming here. I came across this old post of mine, and I had to laugh, because I can't write anymore. I don't know how. I have the worst case of writer's block. I've been trying to write for the last four years, but it's like there is a brick wall in my head, and all I get are bits and pieces...

popkidu2 said:
i I've been trying to write for the last four years, but it's like there is a brick wall in my head, and all I get are bits and pieces...

try writing about that very thing...write our your frustrations of not being able to write...sounds odd but perhaps it'll open up your mind.

i have done that. when i used to write, it would just flow, but now when i write, all i see are lame cliche's and the same old thoughts over and over. i want to write something new, but i don't know how to do it.

hmm...I understand what you're going through, it happens to me with my art sometimes. I would just refabricate old drawings in some form or another and often be uninspired. What I tried to do to remedy this is to go out of my element and try something different, see something different. It feels kind of wierd and even scary but it tends to open me up to new things that gets me doodling. When I see(do) the same things over and over my creativity does not expand. Keep at it, something new will come to you. :)

i write poetry/song's to get em out my head. they just stay there repeating over and over in my head unless i write them down and finish them

I think I'm in pretty much the same position as you, popkidu2. Until about a month ago, I hadn't written anything except bad fanfiction for an email RP game for years and years. My life is stagnant, so my creativity just kinda drained away. I've been making an effort to wake it up again, but I'm just so bloody lazy and apathetic.
Bleh.

I miss my imagination. :(

pod11 said:
i write poetry/song's to get em out my head. they just stay there repeating over and over in my head unless i write them down and finish them

That's so true! I'll be in one of my classes at school and a random thought or feeling will pop into my head and if I don't write it down, I'll go crazy! And then it's like, I can't leave that little phrase alone, so then I keep adding till I'm done. I never used to be like that, until a guy who had a crush on me in junior high wrote a poem about me and won at the state competition! Hahahaha...

It's strange, when I think about this topic, the line, "You glorify the past when the future dries up" comes to mind. Every lyric I write sounds like cliche'. Yet, here is a different take: I recently put a whole bunch of my pictures in frames, and the photo's that once looked stagnent, suddenly took on a whole new life.

I guess it's about placement and perspective. Maybe I need to find that with my writing.

Alisaura, it's good to see you around. A name I know :)

Back
Top Bottom