Why do a lot of Dublin accents sound like American accents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lmao: @ the Belfast accents

I swear my accent is okay and I do not sound like conor from Neighbours.

But my mums friend needed elecution (is that how thats spelt?) lessons when they moved to the middle east because she had a ballymena accent and she says I say hair and air funny

I say - my hare - apparently its my hayer and its not err its A-err

Also I say h differently to them. thats a religion thing tho really. Protestants say it one way catholics say it another way usually.

Sometimes I say -em like -em there apples :eek:

I also say haayer for heather and my sister always shouts at me

When Im thinking about what im saying i always say my -ing's and I get called a snob

Nathan has heard me speak MVD he will tell you what I sound like - he said my accent was nice well he said sexy but hes a tart he would say that to anyone :laugh:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

lmao you are kidding me. it is a religion thing? goodness.

Usually yeah because the way protestants say it is the way english ppl say it but I know a catholic who says it like all my protestant friends do

I get teased tho by my friends about it.

I also say lorry weirdly too like I come from the country - thats my antrim roots coming out - I say lurry but its supposed to be said like laurie.

Eevryone always says whats a lorry laura?! And they have a little chant everytime I say it and sing a mc flurry slurry lurry :der: I get a country accent when im drunk. whats the deal with that??

My accent is sexier :angry: :sexywink:

His friend and him both said Laura like "LOR-RA" it sounded weird on the phone anyway.

Did a lot of ppl say Ta to you instead of thank you MVD when you were here or Cheers??

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i am sure your accent is lovely. but you are not a male, if you get my drift. :sexywink:

I like French men speaking broken english :drool: :drool: :drool: I want to marry a french man or a spanish one :drool: My babies will be getting french names. Not that i particularly want any but Id call them Marc or Aimee.

My sister loves name that can be shortened - some of them are really rare - god help her poor children.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I heard more Cheers than Ta.

I always say cheers I said it 3 times to the man in Easons today then I said Thank You for good measure when I was leaving. We like to repeat ourselevs my granny says bye about 100 times before she hangs up the phone and my dads the same- If anyone jsut said Bye on the phone and hung up I would find it rude like on tv some ppl hang up without even saying bye on the phone!!!! :|

My Dad: Im going now

Me: Ok bye, love you, bye

Dad: bye, love you too, bye, bye, bye, bye

Me: bye, see you later bye

Dad: bye, bye bye

Thats really what phone calls are like here :der:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
one of my best friends from childhood is named Aimee. :) she is not french though.

i love the french and spanish accents as well. all of my children will have spanish names.

Id give my children Irish names if I dont live here.

Spanish names :heart: my friend has a brother called Joan its catalan though for the spanish Juan. I find it really weird cus Joan here is a womans name.

I like French names better tho than Spanish names.

It must be a Smith family thing just.

:shrug: :der: :laugh:

I always say bye more than once to my friends too I always think its really rude to jsut say bye then hang up.

Lara Mullen said:

Id give my children Irish names if I dont live here.

Spanish names :heart: my friend has a brother called Joan its catalan though for the spanish Juan. I find it really weird cus Joan here is a womans name.

I like French names better tho than Spanish names.

;) well seeing that my heritgage is Spanish/Mexican and my name is really Spanish and all of my family names are all Spanish, i want to keep up the tradition and have Spanish names for my children.

when i have my daughter, she will be named Isabella. :)

ok i know this has nothing to do with Dublin Accents sounding like American accents. lol

Guys!!!! all americans say Guys well the ones we have met

"Oh you guys over here have a great chocolate selection"

Everyone is a guy.

:laugh:

I say "guys" still. :reject:

At least I stopped saying "y'all" two years ago.

I'm still afraid to pronounce a lot of place names here because I'll say them wrong. Like NottingHAM and BirmingHAM and Edenberg. ;)

In Kentucky, Versailles is Vursales and Louisville is Looavul. :laugh:

I'd say Louey-ville :confused:

Chicago is one I cant say do I say it like Chi-car-go or Chi-ka-go or what??

I say nottingum I dont pronounce the HAM and birmingum - naughty me :angel:

Lara Mullen said:

I say nottingum I dont pronounce the HAM and birmingum - naughty me :angel:

That's the way I do it now. Except sometimes I slip and say BirmingHAM because that's how it's pronounced in Alabama. Then everyone laughs at me. I also say "toob" instead of "tube." The -ceisters and -shires still get me sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom