Where the Streets Have No Name(live)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickphisto

The Fly
i am having a hard time deciding which live version of streets to use for something i am doing for a friend of mine. which version does everyone think is the best?

i am leaning torward boston 2001 i love the psalms begining.

suggestions?

Last edited:
Every live version of it are great , they are just slightly different

Vertigo opening night , I find it amazing with the First Journey of equal. speech

Streets from the outside broadcast spec is pretty awesome

The popmart versions don't stand behind .........

It's pretty tough this one

So people think the Boston streets version is the best, because he inserts a "psalm" into the song?

Bono puts his heart and soul in the popmart version.

Neenie said:
So people think the Boston streets version is the best, because he inserts a "psalm" into the song?

Bono puts his heart and soul in the popmart version.

Nooooo, people this it's the best because it's the best performance of the song. Popmart was a little weak in comparison.

Best version of what? :eyebrow:

It seems you are talking about best version between official live DVD's only :hmm:

I've never really liked when fans (not only U2 ones but from all other bands) express for a particular official live DVD "BEST CONCERT EVER !!", "GREATEST PERFORMANCE EVER MADE", "THE BEST CONCERT OF ALL TIMES", etc, etc without having watched any concert other than the official ones :shame: That's pretty easy and comfortable to say, and it belongs to casual fans, not the ones who watch and listen to bootlegs.

Any performance of Where The Streets Have No Name with Bono talking, screaming and making noise just because at the begining of the song (Elevation - Vertigo) simply can't be the best :slant:

The best visual effect is when the stage goes all in a deep red (Under A Blood Red Sky ...), with just the beautiful sound of the keyboards and some Larry cymbals, and suddenly Edge comes with his sublime guitar riff :heart: . Then the full band play tight and elegant and then the flash lights blind the audience. That's the perfect moment, experience heaven for a couple of minutes. Bono's speech, screams, or whatever he comes to mind at that moment are always completely useless, silly and disposable. He just ruins that uplifting moment !.

So the best versions of Where The Streets Have No Name you'll find during 1987 - 1993 :heart: The Popmart versions aren't as good as the previous ones because of the annoying sound sequence before Edge Guitar. That's just criminal! they killed the keyboards by replacing them with an unforgivable synth!

:heart:

How ironic that you bash people for choosing something from an official release, and then choose something from Rattle and Hum (not Under a Blood Red Sky, but I'm sure you, an uber fan, knew that).

Rattle and Hum, if you recall, is an official release.

hehe what about techno PopMart WTSHNN? :wink:
im a fan of any WTSHNN live. so i guess it depends what exactly the version is for..and what you're trying to get out of it?
but if you just simply want to choose your favourite WTSHNN version and you're leaning towards the Boston version, it is a pretty damn good version to go with.

Agreed w/ponkine re: Pop Streets...that synth in the beginning is a real buzzkill :( Of the official versions R&H is the best...for non-official my fav is without question 1990-12-30 Dublin (and I've heard my fair share of live WTSHNN, trust me). If you haven't heard the Dublin version, check it out, it's not hard to find...boot is called "At the Eleventh Hour", one of the best bootlegs ever IMO.

Streets Sydney or Streets Point Depot - the two best. (and I've heard other ZooTV bootlegs, ponkine, and Sydney is still the best I've heard)

I like the Boston one, but it gets really annoying because of the whole "Schtreets" thing. Don't know what that was all about, but it ruins that version for me. So I'm gonna go with Slane.

Ha! Yeah, Bono sounding like a bad Sean Connery impersonator kills that one for me, too.

He did that during Sunday Bloody Sunday in Live Aid, too, way back in '85. He announces the song as "Shunday Bloody Shunday!"

Uh ... okay, Sean.

Lancemc said:

Nooooo, people this it's the best because it's the best performance of the song. Popmart was a little weak in comparison.

With that combo with Please ???? No way ......

Popmart streets is as good as other , besides that part of "It's high high" I find it even better , with Edge using some nices distorted sustains

Meghan said:
I like the Boston one, but it gets really annoying because of the whole "Schtreets" thing. Don't know what that was all about, but it ruins that version for me. So I'm gonna go with Slane.

What the hell are you talking about? :scratch: Wow, that's nit-picking at it's finest.

IMO the Sydney version of Streets is the best out of the lot.
The whole harmonica / ambience segue in from Running is still the highlight of the whole concert for me.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

What the hell are you talking about? :scratch: Wow, that's nit-picking at it's finest.

Bono pronounceds 'Streets' as 'Shtreets' through most of that version of the song. It's really noticable, really bizarre and annoying, and I don't think it's nit-picking.

corianderstem said:

Bono pronounceds 'Streets' as 'Shtreets' through most of that version of the song. It's really noticable, really bizarre and annoying, and I don't think it's nit-picking.

I know, I just can't believe someone actually finds that annoying. Oh well, to each his own.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I know, I just can't believe someone actually finds that annoying. Oh well, to each his own.

LOL. It's still a great version of the song, but it bugs me a little. I still listen to it frequently, but kind of roll my eyes when I hear Bono do it. :wink:

Best live version of Streets is whatever concert I'm at & it's happening right in front of me. :drool:

neutral said:
Right now I really like the 12-26-89 Streets w/ the tribute to Sam Beckett as the intro. :drool:

(and not just because of the intro :wink: )

That is an amazing performance. It really shows a lot of Bono's vocal range - I love the falsetto at the end too.

But the Wordsworth snippet in the intro is the best part. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom