When Bono forgets partial words to a song live...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Do you think he then puts 100% of himself into the song and makes it more passionate? I've noticed this watching some of the Elevation / Vertigo even 360 shows where he forgets the words to some songs then comes back either belting a chorus, or extends the song as in a way to make up for the mistake he made...

As if in Bono's mind "Oh crap, I forgot the words... oh well, I'll just perform the hell out of the remainder of this song!" :wink:

You could say it is quite "Bad" when he forgets words?

It's really "Bad" though when he doesn't even try to remember the words. He just says the same ones over and over again.

The funnier matter is his utter incompetence in getting the lyrics to other people's songs correct. I guess there's something brave about talking up other great artists and then butchering their lyrics night after night, but I'm sure it has rubbed some people the wrong way -- although Dylan apparently was quite amused in '84 when Bono had no idea of the lyrics to "Blowin' in the Wind" and must made up his own. However, this was no one-time thing. In the late 80s, Bono invented the line about "the horsemen" in "All Along the Watchtower". Likewise, "Maggie's Farm" often got reduced to one (nevertheless incorrect) verse, as that was all Bono could apparently remember of it. Over the years, his inability to remember the lyrics to songs he supposedly loves has become endearing... but it's still kind of weird.

Have anyone noticed that in Glastonbury they had screens with the lyrics going on?

What I found strange is that also Larry had one. I know he sings some choruses, especially in the No Line On The Horizon songs, but why should he need a screen with ALL the lyrics?
Weird thing.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Larry has been seen on occasion with the lyrics in front of him dating back pretty far?

I'd imagine it's so he knows where he is in the song.

Have anyone noticed that in Glastonbury they had screens with the lyrics going on?

What I found strange is that also Larry had one.
It's got to be for those "Oh-oh-oh"'s in "Miracle Drug" -- Larry likely needed them transcribed.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Larry has been seen on occasion with the lyrics in front of him dating back pretty far?

I'd imagine it's so he knows where he is in the song.

Both Larry and Bono having teleprompters was the case throughout the entire 360 Tour. And Bono has had one since forever (not sure when/why Larry gained one, or if Edge has one).

the teleprompter comes in hand when he's trying to remember the next verse in his head, and he's probably thinking to himself "did i really write the lyrics freedom has the scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" and when he sees it on the screen, its confirmed.

the teleprompter comes in hand when he's trying to remember the next verse in his head, and he's probably thinking to himself "did i really write the lyrics freedom has the scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" and when he sees it on the screen, its confirmed.

Brilliant

The funnier matter is his utter incompetence in getting the lyrics to other people's songs correct. I guess there's something brave about talking up other great artists and then butchering their lyrics night after night, but I'm sure it has rubbed some people the wrong way -- although Dylan apparently was quite amused in '84 when Bono had no idea of the lyrics to "Blowin' in the Wind" and must made up his own. However, this was no one-time thing. In the late 80s, Bono invented the line about "the horsemen" in "All Along the Watchtower". Likewise, "Maggie's Farm" often got reduced to one (nevertheless incorrect) verse, as that was all Bono could apparently remember of it. Over the years, his inability to remember the lyrics to songs he supposedly loves has become endearing... but it's still kind of weird.

She really doon't liikee iiiiiiiit

:crack: Still annoys me. Every time.

Can you change the names of 15 U2 song titles to reflect Bono's poor memory? It'll be really, really funny.

I know it's only four, but how's this?:

- When I Remember No Names (Streets)
- I Still Can't Remember What I'm Looking For (ISHFWILF)
- Edge, Rescue Me (Love Rescue Me)
- The Forgettable Fire (The Unforgettable fire)

Having been in bands myself, it's easier for the drummer to lose his places in the song than any other members. Also, drummers usually have little to no involvement in the lyric writing, making them not as familiar with the song. The drummer in our band never did learn all the names to all our songs, and certainly not the lyrics. I imagine they all have teleprompters somewhere. Except maybe Edge, who is flawless. (minus frequently messing up the UTEOTW solo)

Sometimes You Can't Make It Without A Teleprompter... Or At All
I Know I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Remember The Lyrics Tonight
No Memory On The Horizon
Even Better Than The Real Lyrics
Where The Lyrics Have No Existence
Where The Jokes Generate No Laughs

When I Look at the Teleprompter
Gone (Is Bono's memory)
Teleprompter (Light My Way)
All I Want Is You to Remember the Words

Any more puns, and I might Xanax and Whine!

Desire (Coherence)
Until The End Of... Something Or Another
The First Time (I Sang The Song Was Just Like This Attempt; My Recollection Of It Has Yet To Improve In Any Way Whatsoever)
Mysterious Lyrics
Discothèque (In Bono's Brain)
When I Look At The Teleprompter (It Doesn't Actually Help)
Elvis Ate My Lyric Sheet

Pride (It Says On the Teleprompter)
The Unforgettable Lyrics
Tryin' to Throw Your Mind Around the Lyrics
Stay (In My Mind, Lyrics!)
If God Will Send My Lyrics
Staring at the Teleprompter
Mofo (I Forgot the Lyrics Mix)
Bad (Memory)

I must not be very good at these because for some reason they're not very funny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom