What's Worse at a U2 show? Clappers, Screamers, Drunks or Smokers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thee Kavorka

The Fly
So, i can't believe people are actually complaing about the few pot smokers at a U2 show... unless their smoking schwagg (now that stinks).

I personally have more of a problem with screamers and gomper clappers. Apparently Bono does also, as he "shhuss'd" some clappers at one of the shows. Seriously, I don't think there is anything worse then someone clapping, singing, or screaming when it's in appropriate. I didn't pay to hear you sing, scream, or be the lone clapper (off time). Yes, there are times when I understand it's a sing a long (still sucks), and obviously, clapping, cheering, and screaming (not in my frickin' ear) are acceptable before and after songs. But for the love of god, YOU ARE NOT A PERFORMER... that's why you are with the general public.

most annoying list thus far:

1. screamers
2. gomper clappers
3. drunks
4. cig smokers (usually ranked #1, good job U2 fans.)
5. short people behind me saying, "i can't see." (besides Bill Walton at S.D., I'm gonna be the tallest guy. get in early and get over it. I'm not moving to the back of the floor.)

What's a gomper clapper?

Sounds like a nasty VD that I dont want

and whats schwagg?

Oh and to answer the question....

The winner for most annoying is:

5. short people...usually girls who seem to think that if they whine that i'm gonna let them past me. I'm only 5'8 but I'm not going to shrink in the next 2 hours so deal with it.

one4u2 said:
Please, at a New York U2 show the ceiling could cave in and I wouldn't even notice :whistle:

well, hey man, share those hand shake druks, and maybe i won't notice the guy whistling like he's at an italian football match.

SFGAL said:
What's a gomper clapper?

Sounds like a nasty VD that I dont want

and whats schwagg?

Oh and to answer the question....

The winner for most annoying is:

5. short people...usually girls who seem to think that if they whine that i'm gonna let them past me. I'm only 5'8 but I'm not going to shrink in the next 2 hours so deal with it.

A gomper clapper is the lone clapper who's off beat, or clapping during a quiet Bono solo, or just a dumb arse.

schwagg...LOL... it's crappy weed likely from mexico that smells like ammonia because they literally pissed on it before sending it to the states. seriously. not to mention seeds and stems.

..gomper clapper and schwagg...two things I've learned on interference today.....this place is not only entertaining but educational as well....... :giggle:

That said, I think it's a toss up between the screamer and the "gomper clappers" that annoy me....oh and the short people that want in front of me because they can't see.....

Thee Kavorka said:
So, i can't believe people are actually complaing about the few pot smokers at a U2 show... unless their smoking schwagg (now that stinks).

I personally have more of a problem with screamers and gomper clappers. Apparently Bono does also, as he "shhuss'd" some clappers at one of the shows. Seriously, I don't think there is anything worse then someone clapping, singing, or screaming when it's in appropriate. I didn't pay to hear you sing, scream, or be the lone clapper (off time). Yes, there are times when I understand it's a sing a long (still sucks), and obviously, clapping, cheering, and screaming (not in my frickin' ear) are acceptable before and after songs. But for the love of god, YOU ARE NOT A PERFORMER... that's why you are with the general public.

most annoying list thus far:

1. screamers
2. gomper clappers
3. drunks
4. cig smokers (usually ranked #1, good job U2 fans.)
5. short people behind me saying, "i can't see." (besides Bill Walton at S.D., I'm gonna be the tallest guy. get in early and get over it. I'm not moving to the back of the floor.)

Bill Walton arrived into the Ellipse when "Everyone" was played on the PA. Bill was in the back of the Ellipse .

Re: Re: What's Worse at a U2 show? Clappers, Screamers, Drunks or Smokers?

Super_Fan said:

Bill Walton arrived into the Ellipse when "Everyone" was played on the PA. Bill was in the back of the Ellipse .

Bill rocks. I've seen him at several dead shows, and other shows from DC to Vegas.

I love his straight foward banter. I can hear him saying about this tour in an preplexed manner, "Whatever happened to changing the set list?"

I love being loud and I love when a building is so loud that I can't hear myself think...especially when THE WHOLE PLACE IS SCREAMING THE SONGS! Montreal shows are deafening like that. What actually bothers me is when people look at ME like I'm doing something wrong or they start yapping at me to be quiet. Each has happened to me once. I just ignore looks but talking to me for being too loud or raucous at a show...that'll get my attention. "There's a good restaurant around the corner." I may disagree, but I respect the choices of people around me and I expect them to do the same.

Bottom line: Most annoying people are those who look at you as if you're (or accuse you of) being too loud or raucous at a show, when there are plenty of good restaurants around the corner.
:down: :down: :down:

Jon

Last edited:
the ones who sing really, really loud, don't know the words, they're drunk and offkey, and you can't hear Bono, just them. And the ones with the cups of beer, spilling it all over everybody, in the middle of a row of people, who go in and out continuously because their beer is the #1 thing to them, not the show. And going along with that, the drunk drivers that leave after a show and endanger everybody else, on the fwy they were in 2 lanes going weaving all over. Cell phones directly to 911, yea!

Last edited:
The people who insist on standing near the front with drinks afte the show has started which basically restricts the movement of eveyone else around them. Then drunks, but the two are often intertwined (that's not a word but i can't remembe the word I was looking for).
But yeah, can you not save your pot smoking, or any smoking for either before or after the show. If you smoke before the show once you're in the venue, I can live with that because I can look away but if you're sharing a small space with many people then it's courteous not to smoke. The thing with your pot is that the smoke is thicker than tobacco. Trust me, I live with 5 people, 4 of whom smoke weed also.

By the way, I love short people. Assuming I'm a few rows back, as usual, I always let a short person (I'm only 5'8 myself) stand in front of me because it gives you a gap in which no tall people can stand. As long as you stay behind them, you get a better view of the stage than if a tall peson is in front of you. Does that make sense?

The group of people I have the BIGGEST problem with are the ones that sit on their butts like they were taking notes at a freaking business seminar. That just makes U2 look like 'senior citizen rock'. These are the people to whom U2's music means nothing. You don't have to act like a wild banshee, but show some emotion, like you're GLAD TO BE THERE.

Behind that group of people, I would rank all of the substance abusers. Unlike some other bands, U2's music is actually enhanced by listening to it with a clear and sober mind.

Last edited:
Drunks are the worst. Some drunk spilled an entire beer on my leather bag and never bothered to acknowledge it let alone apologize for what he did.

I agree with 2Hearts. Mind altering drugs are soo out of fashion. Alcohol though is the absolute worst. It makes people crazy! Annoyingly crazy and they just don't get it!

:madspit:

Dont leave out the folks who have to have a conversation with their friends during the show - about absolutely nothing - when I hear some talking loud during the a more mellow, quiet song like Running to Stand Still - it drives me freaking crazy.

Desert Dog, amen. Why pay $100-$160 admission, if you just want to talk to your friends?

If you're quite b/c you're totally enveloped in the music, that's great, I just don't get the bored look that some people have.

3x I can remember drunks that threw up at U2 shows I've been at, and the last one was at Elevation, and he was at least 40, and he and the other yahoos he was with said they were "loan brokers." Talk about ruining the show for everybody...it is just so mindless there's no adjectives enough to spew (pun intended) about pigs that throw up at a U2 show. I hope I never, ever see one in the GA's, or ever again, anywhere.

And yea the conversations just suck, especially the bird brains that make cell phone calls. One moron did one while Bono was singing Yaweh, "well we're gonna be leaving now, the show's over, we should get out to the car by, blah blah blah." U2 should sell foam rubber bats that say u2 on them so we can bonk these twerps over the head.

Last edited:
I think the most annoying people at any show (well, I've never been to a U2 show) are the ones who are trying to get all attention focused on them. They can be the screamers, the singers, the pogoers, the talkers -- but what they have in common is an inordinate need to be noticed. I don't mind people having a good time, but I really don't like the people who push their "good time" on everyone in the vicinity. Fortunately, a good hard arch stomp often shifts the offending parties to a different area and out of my way. :)

I'm more of the absorb the music and moment type myself, but don't think I'm not as into it as anyone else. I just choose to show it in a different way.

This shit is really all about personal pet peeves. It's funny to see people think that their concerns are the only ones with any merit. And it doesn't matter how many people agree or disagree, it's still a matter of trying to impose your beliefs on others.

To me, I go and have fun, regardless of what's going on around me. Personally, I'd rather have the whole floor full of people smoking cigarettes, pot, cigars, or friggin crack for all I care, before some tall jerkoff blocking my view.

It's the same selfish viewpoint. Everyone should be able to see what they paid for. Just like you may not want to hear the guy next to you singing, or listen to people clap inappropriately, I think people over 6'3" should realize that the average person will not be able to enjoy a show standing behind them. They should voluntarily move to where they are not an obstruction.

Do I think that's reasonable? No. But it is just as reasonable as expecting people to refrain from the other behavior being complained about. Have fun because you are there. Don't worry if I want a cigarette, or the guy on your other side is stone drunk and talking on his cell phone. Concerts are friggin loud and venues are big--you don't have to go far to get away from whatever is buggin' you.

I agree with

Klink:
I love being loud and I love when a building is so loud that I can't hear myself think...especially when THE WHOLE PLACE IS SCREAMING THE SONGS! Montreal shows are deafening like that. What actually bothers me is when people look at ME like I'm doing something wrong or they start yapping at me to be quiet. Each has happened to me once. I just ignore looks but talking to me for being too loud or raucous at a show...that'll get my attention. "There's a good restaurant around the corner." I may disagree, but I respect the choices of people around me and I expect them to do the same.

Bottom line: Most annoying people are those who look at you as if you're (or accuse you of) being too loud or raucous at a show, when there are plenty of good restaurants around the corner.
and
2Hearts:
The group of people I have the BIGGEST problem with are the ones that sit on their butts like they were taking notes at a freaking business seminar. That just makes U2 look like 'senior citizen rock'. These are the people to whom U2's music means nothing. You don't have to act like a wild banshee, but show some emotion, like you're GLAD TO BE THERE.

Thee Kavorka is halfway right. There are people that just don't belong into a concert behaving the way they do. Some have really annoying habits, but most have the most annoying habit of all: Thinking it's just about standing there and "absorbing" it. And even worse is when they open their mouth to fans who are really moving and getting into it. Absorbing it is fine, but you gotta learn to do it on the fly, as you take action. It's about action. U2 are gonna be lame on stage unless the crowd gives them the energy. In turn, you're gonna see U2 get more into it, and thus the whole concert will be better. It's not about listening to Bono's voice, because it sounds helium-induced on those huge speakers, anyway. Don't ask what U2 can do for you, ask what you can do for U2.

Screamers can be a pain in the ass, but smokers I really can't stand. They don't give a hoot and five cents if their smoke stinks up your clothing, or if they're harming others with second-hand smoke.

NUTS. :angry: :mad: :censored:

RadRacer said:
I agree with

and

Thee Kavorka is halfway right. There are people that just don't belong into a concert behaving the way they do. Some have really annoying habits, but most have the most annoying habit of all: Thinking it's just about standing there and "absorbing" it. And even worse is when they open their mouth to fans who are really moving and getting into it. Absorbing it is fine, but you gotta learn to do it on the fly, as you take action. It's about action. U2 are gonna be lame on stage unless the crowd gives them the energy. In turn, you're gonna see U2 get more into it, and thus the whole concert will be better. It's not about listening to Bono's voice, because it sounds helium-induced on those huge speakers, anyway. Don't ask what U2 can do for you, ask what you can do for U2.

At 160 bucks a ticket, don't I have a right to ask something of U2.

And, LOL at the 'mind altering drugs are out of fashion' comment

The absolute worst is people singing right near you out of key...or clapping. Smoke what ever you want, but if you do it near me, I'm asking for a toke.

2Hearts said:

Behind that group of people, I would rank all of the substance abusers. Unlike some other bands, U2's music is actually enhanced by listening to it with a clear and sober mind.

See...this is what I'm worrying about on May 10th! I have box seating and I got them from my dad...who works at highend bank in Oak Brook Illinois (named Oak Brook Bank)

I'm just worried that the the people at the box with me will do this said thing!

Okay, the WORST people at a U2 show are the "cutters". You pay good money (either face value or alot more) for GA tickets, and you wait all day to get a decent spot on the floor. Then, in the middle of the show, here comes some drunken piece of shit and his girlfriend, and they think they're just gonna stand in front of me??? I DONT FUCKING THINK SO, BUDDY! If they want to show up to the concert at 8:30pm, that's their business. But don't even DREAM of pushing your way to the front of the GA crowd without expecting a full-on BRAWL!

The other day in Phoenix, some asshole used his girlfriend as a means to squeeze their way up close. Then they tried to squeeze in front of me! Well, I pushed them both out the way and reclaimed my spot, and the big drunken gorilla didn't like it, so he decided to make empty threats like "you dont know who you're dealing with" and "you're so lucky im drunk right now". Psssssssshhhhhhh! After I had a good laugh in his face, he took his girlfriend to the back of the floor where they belong, and all the guys around us said they were waiting for him to get physical and they would have all jumped in! That's what I like to see! U2 fans sticking up for eachother!

Honestly, its just COMMON COURTESY! You do *NOT* move ahead of someone if you weren't there to begin with...PERIOD! I wouldn't even dream of ruining someone's experience by pushing in front of them. People just have no decency anymore.

Oh, my other "favorite" U2 show pet peeve:

Those three sisters and their mom in Phoenix! You know who you are! You were against the rail on the floor, taking up WAY too much room, and then one of you was sick and not even paying attention to the show. Word of advice: don't take up more room than you need, and if you're not feeling well, LEAVE!

Clappers ... Screamers ... definitely needed at U2 concerts ...
no problem here !!

Drunks ... although I never could understand why someone would
"feel the need" to get drunk at a U2 concert , in order to enjoy themselves. But as long as they don't bother me or puke ... I don't care about drunks, either.

As for Cigarette Smokers ... I'd say that this is what "draws the line" in my book. Since I've quit smoking for over 2 years now, I would NOT want to have to smell that smoke. Cigarette Smokers
can go outside of the venue into the designated areas to smoke.

And as for the potheads ... well again, I'd have to emphasize how I can't understand why someone would "feel the need" to get high at a U2 concert , in order to enjoy themselves. But again I wouldn't want to smell that smoke either.

So bottom line ... what's worse is the smokers !! :madspit:

word to Thee Kavorka!

for me, screamers rank #1 WORST audience members ever, of all time. they not only ruin it for a lot of people trying to hear Bono and the band, but also ruin it for tapers. tied for a close second are

- the talkers - why pay such ridiculous ticket prices to talk about how your day went and other crappy pap?

- the sing-along jags. come on, we all know 97.52% of you sing-along people have a horrible speaking voice to begin with, and it only gets worse when you think you're "on key" with Bono.

the gomper clappers suck, almost as bad as the clap itself (both the action of clapping and the STD). but #1 and #2-A and #2-B above are definitely the worst.

i could care less if people want to toke it up at a show. i don't, but whatever. at least they don't interfere with my seeing or hearing the performers.

oh, another group that sucks at shows: the people who actually crawl over the back of your seat, and basically standing-spoon you because they're idiots who want to be 6 inches closer. ask Edgar - he knows about this.

if i'm at a show and politely ask someone to STFU because they're blowing my ear drums out, why is that so "out of line?" yet people making arses of themselves at a show, ruining it for everyone within a 15 foot radius with the talking/singing/clapping/spilling beer, are "in line" with their behaviour.

bring on the flames!

Back
Top Bottom