Whats the special announcement tomorrow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need more strategic scheduling in your putdowns, Vlad, so no moggios for you either.

The great Moggio would be shaking his head in disgust at our lack of technical ability in our posting. :tsk:

When I sat down to listen to this - and speaking as someone who likes a lot of the 90s and 00s remixes, I have to say that Tiesto's Pride is truly awful - one comment came back into my mind. Can anyone remember an interview where Bono mentioned playing some of the 'club' tunes to Michael Stipe and Stipe being very non-committal in his answer? I can't seem to find it, but remember thinking at the time that if Bono was relaying a story in which a friend couldn't even find something good to say about the material, it was a very very bad sign. If the Tiesto mix is anything to go by (and I admit that it's not much to go by, and also that the equally awful 'North Star' was produced by RedOne), the 'oonts' material must have been awful. Speaking as someone who cringed the whole way through the 'Crazy Tonight' remix on the last tour, I'd be happy enough never to hear anything that sounds like this again. For the first time ever, I just have the overwhelming feeling that they're waaaayyy too old for this. It would be no surprise if Larry 'No BS' Mullen had vetoed all of this.

When I sat down to listen to this - and speaking as someone who likes a lot of the 90s and 00s remixes, I have to say that Tiesto's Pride is truly awful - one comment came back into my mind. Can anyone remember an interview where Bono mentioned playing some of the 'club' tunes to Michael Stipe and Stipe being very non-committal in his answer? I can't seem to find it, but remember thinking at the time that if Bono was relaying a story in which a friend couldn't even find something good to say about the material, it was a very very bad sign. If the Tiesto mix is anything to go by (and I admit that it's not much to go by, and also that the equally awful 'North Star' was produced by RedOne), the 'oonts' material must have been awful. Speaking as someone who cringed the whole way through the 'Crazy Tonight' remix on the last tour, I'd be happy enough never to hear anything that sounds like this again. For the first time ever, I just have the overwhelming feeling that they're waaaayyy too old for this. It would be no surprise if Larry 'No BS' Mullen had vetoed all of this.

have to agree - it's a horrible remix... and i love some dance music and various remixes... but this is tuneless and soulless, just noise... although B-man's vocals are nice, apart from the dubious heavy breathing :lol:

I had very low expectations, which this remix somehow failed to meet. Yikes!

Its not that bad. Its just a remix. Good to hear some different vocals. Like the original better, but glad to hear something new. relax.

Its not that bad. Its just a remix. Good to hear some different vocals. Like the original better, but glad to hear something new. relax.

This is a forum that lives for the negative.

They feed off it.

It's who they are.

Let them have their day(s).

I think most are upset here with U2.com rather than over the remix. Most probably wouldn't have cared less it hadn't been announced by the website as something "special" and "exciting", which this thing ain't.

I think most are upset here with U2.com rather than over the remix. Most probably wouldn't have cared less it hadn't been announced by the website as something "special" and "exciting", which this thing ain't.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...

This place lives to be upset.

This is a forum that lives for the negative.

They feed off it.

It's who they are.

Let them have their day(s).

Which is in complete contrast to the positive tones you portray in your post?

Like many other have said - the main beef is with U2.com billing this remix as exciting / interesting / new / everything else and trading off the fans dire want for new music. If they hadn't beaten it up like it was much more than a remix of a 28 year old song, I don't think people would care.

Which is in complete contrast to the positive tones you portray in your post?

Like many other have said - the main beef is with U2.com billing this remix as exciting / interesting / new / everything else and trading off the fans dire want for new music. If they hadn't beaten it up like it was much more than a remix of a 28 year old song, I don't think people would care.

Again, fool me once...

Again, fool me once...

So it is our fault that U2.com over-hyped this release? Just because of the bad track record doesn't mean people should expect to be deceived like this does it?

I mean, U2.com HAVE picked up their game lately, and I don't think anyone complaining genuinely thought it would be something good - more like they had very slim hopes they might actually deliver.

Just because it is expected doesn't mean it is acceptable.

Your argument is redundant.

So it is our fault that U2.com over-hyped this release?

How did they over-hype this release? I see that phrase being thrown around here, the over-hyping, but I didn't see it. U2.com sent out an announcement that there would be something exclusive for U2.com subscribers and they sent it out two days in advance. That's not over-hyping to me. It's not even trying to create a hype. It's just one message. :shrug:

So it is our fault that U2.com over-hyped this release? Just because of the bad track record doesn't mean people should expect to be deceived like this does it?

I mean, U2.com HAVE picked up their game lately, and I don't think anyone complaining genuinely thought it would be something good - more like they had very slim hopes they might actually deliver.

Just because it is expected doesn't mean it is acceptable.

Your argument is redundant.

Well, to be fair, it's you guys' fault for believing this would be any different from the past gazillion times this happened.

I seriously couldn't believe that there were THIS many pages in this thread when I got here. I wasn't online for two days, but I read about it on facebook. Like the majority of people there, we were like "meh, prolly the remix, /care".

How can people actually seriously consider U2.com would be hyping something new, when the band hasn't even been in the studio in ages? When there's nothing new on the horizon...And when we just had U2.com reporting on that same remix being released soon?

Sorry, but some people here are way too gullible. And that is your 'fault' if you want to call it that.

to be fair, there were special threads posted about the event on u2.com, which is unusual no? not forgetting the whole specific time zone thing... it wasn't just a simple email update...

Oh and for those getting their knickers in a twist.... here's some pills to cool off :wink:

2qxxfzs.jpg

to be fair, there were special threads posted about the event on u2.com, which is unusual no? not forgetting the whole specific time zone thing... it wasn't just a simple email update...

No, that is not unusual. That is what always happens.
There were also 2 threads created here on Interference. That's also not unusual. :)

Several sources suggest that the band IS in the studio and have been there for a while. Or at least, they have been popping in and out from time to time. I thought everyone picked up on that already.

Anyway, the problem isn't the over-hyping. I think we all, U2.com included, are desperate to hear something new at this point, and for all that U2.com (and most of us here) care, this is something new - at least, when we first heard about it, before they announced the broadcast. The problem instead is the fact that U2.com would brand something that is not secret by the time of the broadcast to be super-secret and exclusive. That's what we're disappointed about; we thought something "new" would actually mean something new to us.

I can't believe anyone here seriously thought it would NOT be the Pride remix. Come on, news about this remix surfaced some days ago and they said it would be released late November, suddenly U2.com makes an audio announcement and everyone is getting their hopes up in a ridiculous way. They're trying to promote this remix, it's a Bono project, it's obviously an important issue for him, it's for charity and World AIDS day, so yes, they need to gain some attention.
:up:

We are waiting ages for something to happen now and.... there should be a new album in 2009, then 2010, then 2011, then 2012, now 2013. Danger Mouse has been booked for two years now, which is very unusual. The band was working on three albums. We know there must happen something in the near future. To be honest I was expecting an audio snippet of a new song followed by an album announcement for early 2013.
Back in 2010 there were polls when an album would have been released. Most fans expected an album by the end of 2010. Only a few, the most negative, but realistic fans thought it would be a 2013 release. I was in the first group. I thougt the band wanted to break a tradition by release an album within a year or two. It turned out to be another four year wait. Given this..... I think the reaction of the fans to the announcement, including me, is not strange at all. U2 has become a moneymaking machine for the recordcompany, where spontanity and creativity is a dirty word.:doh:

So now this thread has had curiosity, excitement, disappointment, annoyance, mild anger, total overreaction and smugness.

I suspect its run its full Interference course now.

Like many other have said - the main beef is with U2.com billing this remix as exciting / interesting / new / everything else and trading off the fans dire want for new music.

Too bad they didn't use these adjectives you mention. It was described as "rare and unusual content". And yes - I'm afraid it is your fault for expecting new music out of that description.

Back
Top Bottom