Whats the special announcement tomorrow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They just made (some, not me) fans wait hours with the promise of a special announcement and it turned out to be a remix of 28-year-old song by one of the world's most popular DJ. How is that not completely embarrassing? It's an insult.

I don't care, because I'm pretty much past the point of caring. Starting to think we'll be lucky to get an album next year!

U2.com made people wait not U2 the band,

The way they promoted it like it's going to be a really big deal and telling people to get on early was a little deceptive. It seems more like an April Fool's joke than a Thanksgiving surprise.

Michael Moore and Oliver Stone are already facing off over the rights to turn this cataclysmic debacle into a movie ripe with paranoia and conspiracy! Moore states "Again the powers that be get on their boots to stomp the little guy with cold cynical eurodance" while Stone sneers "U2.com has turned the echo effect into the Gekko effect. It´s gotta be the CIA man". In the meantime Tiesto has hidden himself on an unknown Island stating that "it was all Bonos idea".

Yeah, when you hand off ownership of something with your name attached to it, it's going to end up being a reflection of you, fairly or not.

That being said, I'm sure not writing off the band over it.

U2.com made people wait not U2 the band,

That's such a lame excuse even by your standards. The band has to bear responsibility for the policies of its OFFICIAL website, run by the people who were appointed either by the management or the band themselves (*cough* Sebastian Clayton *cough*) .

Not that I give a shit - I think it was painfully obvious as soon as I've read those rumours circulating about a remix, along with a picture of Bono with Tiesto that that's gonna be it. People who actually considered this is going to be a new single based on an announcement that something rare and unusual is about to surface, and knowing U2's history - it really is your own fault.

Is it too early in the season to say "Bah humbug!"...? When you're three months out after a new album has been released, or perhaps you're in the middle of a tour, this might be able to pass for an announcement someone might care about. But when it's been 3 1/2 years since you last released an album, it doesn't matter whose special project it is--a remix of a single song is in no way a special announcement.

I'm afraid it was never gonna be a new single,we always get the build to there records in q magazine and rolling stone. It's been quite for months now.

That's such a lame excuse even by your standards. The band has to bear responsibility for the policies of its OFFICIAL website, run by the people who were appointed either by the management or the band themselves (*cough* Sebastian Clayton *cough*) .

Not that I give a shit - I think it was painfully obvious as soon as I've read those rumours circulating about a remix, along with a picture of Bono with Tiesto that that's gonna be it. People who actually considered this is going to be a new single based on an announcement that something rare and unusual is about to surface, and knowing U2's history - it really is your own fault.

Rightly or wrongly do you really belive ANY member of the band has anything to do with the running of the fan club? should they? yes but they dont, so to blame the actual band for today isnt totally right, to blame the people who run the fan club and website yes certainly, they have made great steps the last couple of years but then pull a stunt like this.

And i seen plenty of praise for the people who run the site with regard to U22 and From the ground up etc but nothing to the band, but now this happens its all very well to turn around and say "U2 are embarrassing" seems a bit much.

This is a band more than three decades into their career. Instead of being like Neil Young or other groups who make music without worrying about the charts, they hold off on releasing anything and instead drop remixes of old songs by trance DJs. I think you can see why people get jaded.

This is a band more than three decades into their career. Instead of being like Neil Young or other groups who make music without worrying about the charts, they hold off on releasing anything and instead drop remixes of old songs by trance DJs. I think you can see why people get jaded.

I think in this instance you should check the cause of the album by tiesto, and the fact that it is RED of course it is going to be something bono would want to do, this isnt just another dodgy remix,

Rightly or wrongly do you really belive ANY member of the band has anything to do with the running of the fan club? should they? yes but they dont, so to blame the actual band for today isnt totally right, to blame the people who run the fan club and website yes certainly, they have made great steps the last couple of years but then pull a stunt like this.

And i seen plenty of praise for the people who run the site with regard to U22 and From the ground up etc but nothing to the band, but now this happens its all very well to turn around and say "U2 are embarrassing" seems a bit much.

Too bad I never said, implied, or "really" believed that U2 has anything to do with the running of the fan club. But the band is culpable and responsible when U2.com makes something that provokes a poor response from the fanbase, since the website is their official representative on the net. You can take a far more extreme case as a clear example - U2.com made a very bad mistake in the case of the ticket presale fiasco 7 years ago, which the band did react to in the from of an open letter and a public apology. Because even though they weren't directly involved with the presale, it was their responsibility to clear up that mess.

I haven't blamed U2 in this case - I blame the gullible fans. One of the first posts in this thread alone has some people concluding reasonably that this will very likely be a random remix. I suggest to everyone who again got their hopes up for no reason - try refreshing post #6 in this thread ten times a day.

Ha. I changed course in my expectations halfway through the morning, buying into the perfectly reasonable argument that "they wouldn't set up a big streaming event for just a remix, would they? surely they'd just post it and tell us about it?"

Silly me!

djerdap said:
Too bad I never said, implied, or "really" believed that U2 has anything to do with the running of the fan club. But the band is culpable and responsible when U2.com makes something that provokes a poor response from the fanbase, since the website is their official representative on the net. You can take a far more extreme case as a clear example - U2.com made a very bad mistake in the case of the ticket presale fiasco 7 years ago, which the band did react to in the from of an open letter and a public apology. Because even though they weren't directly involved with the presale, it was their responsibility to clear up that mess.

I haven't blamed U2 in this case - I blame the gullible fans. One of the first posts in this thread alone has some people concluding reasonably that this will very likely be a random remix. I suggest to everyone who again got their hopes up for no reason - try refreshing post #6 in this thread ten times a day.

Trust me I am as gutted as anyone but it is what it is, the band never said they where going to premier a new song, that's life i guess

May I suggest to just go and listen to some other music by other bands so you won't be "gutted" because of impossibly silly things like this?

Next time it'll be a three-and-a-half-hour remix from a song called In A Little While.

The problem is they set up expectations above and beyond what was delivered. Perhaps the people running the website are out of touch with the desires of the fanbase, or someone over there really thought the single was hot shit and deserved the hype. I doubt they realized there would be such a bad reaction.

Either way, I'm off from work, football is on and there's turkey on the table so I'm happy.

Being a dj I still quite like the remix so I think this is going to become a guilty pleasure

omg this has got to be u2 dot com's best moment ever :lmao:

am really glad i went to the cinema and watched Skyfall instead!

god i'm sorry you guys - especially for you thanksgiving peeps who hung around specially - it must feel like a bit of a sick joke really :hug:

bunch of wankers aren't they really - i mean, really, streaming some remix just doesn't merit such a hoo haa :down:

oh well, maybe they were sort of testing the water, for a "proper" announcement some time, who knows what their reasoning was... just incredibly weird though...

KUEFC09U2 said:
Being a dj I still quite like the remix so I think this is going to become a guilty pleasure

I love electro, dance, trance, etc. I've seen Tiesto live and he was pretty awesome from memory. This Pride remix is absolute fucking garbage.

KUEFC09U2 said:
Funny thing was it isn't even a stream

Lol :rolleyes:

May I suggest to just go and listen to some other music by other bands so you won't be "gutted" because of impossibly silly things like this?

Nah, but I have got the first series of the fantastic original 1960's TV drama The Prisoner. Can I watch that instead? I won't feel 'gutted' then.

Apparently there's gonna be a storm brewing, in a literal sense :shifty:. This is the reason's why I haven't able to go outside for the past two days. Oh well, at least I've got you guys for company again now. There's probably gonna be major disruption to the train lines and all traffic, so that means I may not be able to go out tomorrow. I tell you one thing though, I am most definitely going to the shop to purchase that DVD boxset of Doctor Who I've been eyeing up for the past few weeks.

See, since I've been away I've moved on from U2. I still love their music of cause, it's just that there other media that has caught my attention recently. Classic TV shows. Good ones mind. That's a lot of rubbish on the box.

I am feeling ever so claustrophobic at the mo and I've got bags of energy I can't settle into bed until past 6am in the morning.

People losing their shit over this is probably the best bit about this thread.

Even the sort who say they couldn't care less are whining incessantly. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom