What is the stupidest decision U2 has ever made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mercy, the original studio version which leaked, is better than most of HTDAAB, the album where it belonged.

'ATM machine' is not such a crime, ffs. Ever heard of poetic license? Some amount of bending of grammar is allowed in music. This is not prose.

I gather that Mercy did not so much leak, as that Bono pushed a burned CD into the hands of some fan or other (possibly Fisher), with a sort of sly/sheepish 'don't give up on us, y'all'.

I dug up the first Mercy thread where everyone here was going bananas and begging U2SJ for the file. Quite the entertaining read! Turns out that a friend gave her the CD with Mercy on it, not Bono. Don't know how that friend got it.

We'd know if it was Peterrrrrr because the first post would have been BONO HITS A HIGH C ON THIS NEW SONG I HAVE

Mercy, the original studio version which leaked, is better than most of HTDAAB, the album where it belonged.

'ATM machine' is not such a crime, ffs. Ever heard of poetic license? Some amount of bending of grammar is allowed in music. This is not prose.

Yes I did overlook this. Leaving Mercy off to begin with was a horrible decision. Every time I listen to the original I'm caught somewhere between love and heartbreak; love because it's such an amazing song (shut up djerdap) and heartbreak because they fucked up their handling of it so royally.

Remember when Bono was taken aback when they played it at shows and people were singing along? Like how thick are you man?

I definitely think that Mercy would have helped Bomb. If I include Mercy on Bomb, it probably overtakes SoI for the esteemed position of third-best U2 album since 2000. Knock out Crumbs and/or One Step Closer and/or ABOY if worried about the album being too long.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What help did it need? It was a number one album across the world, won countless awards, did well with the critics, sold millions of copies, and had a very well received and sold out tour? Not to mention the album and this era of U2 was at the forefront of the digital music/ iThing revolution.

Outside of revisionist interference history, the Vertigo/Bomb era was a massive success.

What help did it need? It was a number one album across the world, won countless awards, did well with the critics, sold millions of copies, and had a very well received and sold out tour? Not to mention the album and this era of U2 was at the forefront of the digital music/ iThing revolution.

Outside of revisionist interference history, the Vertigo/Bomb era was a massive success.

Any average person liked it, so it probably wasn't that good.
You need to find something only real (music/U2) fans can appreciate instead.

---

Once said that, I also believe that Mercy is better than anything on Bomb... but I also believe it's better than anything on almost any album, so that doesn't count.

For me, it belongs to the same family of the controversial Elvis Presley And America and even of Bad, songs that keep on building up on something but without a clear chorus or structure that lets you feel like that was it, so in the end you're exhausted but feeling like there's something missing and so wanting to join the ride again (and again and again and again...).
That's how it works for me. That's the best U2 for me.

Boom! :up:

It needed help being a better album in my books. That's all I was talking about.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB are so unfairly maligned in this forum. This whole 'U2 sold out', or 'U2 played it safe' argument is completely subjective. Those who LOVE the 90's will always feel U2 got scared and went back to it's 'basic sound'. Being a fan since the early 80's I can appreciate all aspects of U2's career and sound, and this gibberish that the 2000's were U2 running scared is absolutely bollocks...:madspit:

ATYCLB and HTDAAB are so unfairly maligned in this forum. This whole 'U2 sold out', or 'U2 played it safe' argument is completely subjective. Those who LOVE the 90's will always feel U2 got scared and went back to it's 'basic sound'. Being a fan since the early 80's I can appreciate all aspects of U2's career and sound, and this gibberish that the 2000's were U2 running scared is absolutely bollocks...:madspit:

This!!!

I don't really mind U2 going back to their "basic sound", even if my preference is for something a little more adventurous. But I rather like ATYCLB, because I find all of the songs save Grace at least decent. On the other hand, Bomb (in my opinion, of course) has a handful of great songs, a bunch of uninspiring, mediocre songs (on the Miracle Drug level), and a couple of utterly dreadful songs (ABOY and Crumbs). That makes it one of my least favorite U2 albums.

So I would like any Bomb haters to take a trip in the interference time machine back to 2004/2005... when the album had almost universal praise and adoration here, amongst the U2 fan community. Some of you may be surprised by your own comments and how much YOU adored the album.

So don't give me this bullshit that the album was only popular because the common folk liked it, but we U2 purists strived for something more.

So I would like any Bomb haters to take a trip in the interference time machine back to 2004/2005... when the album had almost universal praise and adoration here, amongst the U2 fan community. Some of you may be surprised by your own comments and how much YOU adored the album.

So don't give me this bullshit that the album was only popular because the common folk liked it, but we U2 purists strived for something more.

"Common Folk"...:doh:

I'm w/you Headache...too many people rewrite history in this forum. I'm not accusing anyone who's posted in this thread, but geez...how many times do we hear this:

"This is U2's best album since....(add U2 album title)...:huh:

Then 2 years later the same poster writes:

"I'd have to rank their last album in my bottom half, it was watered down and very pop conscious. I wish they'd record an album like Pop...(ad naseum...:p )

Ok, this is where I have to step in. I've been a fan since 83 (yikes), and to me there is no question that from UF to POP was their creative, lyrical, musical, and pretty much everything else zenith.
I love any stage this band goes into and will follow them on the journey. I'm a big fan of SOI. But I think that the maligning of ATYCLB and Bomb are fairly well-deserved.

ATYCLB is a half decent album. Kite, WILATW, BD, and Elevation is a great live tune. But other than that it ranges from so-so, to downright bad.

Bomb is more consistent, but consistently mediocre. Nothing as horrible as Grace and POE, but nothing even approaching Kite, or even BD, which is think is a fine song, but probably a little bit more lauded than it deserves.

That being said:

Biggest mistakes in my opinion:

Single choices.
I often wonder where the band would be if they had chosen a couple of different key lead singles.
Firstly - Desire. Ok song. But really? They were lucky that the public was still so hot on them after JT that they let that one slide a bit. One wonders how even more astronomically huge they might have become at that point if they lead single was AIWIY. Rattle and Hum had its own issues, that probably still would have eventually weighed it down, but I do think it was not the best single choice.

EDIT! I take back my comment about The Fly. Bold and introduced Achtung Baby like it should have been - with a bang

I'll leave Zooropa out of this. Numb was so different and bold. What I loved about this band at that time.

Pop - ugh. Well, I don't hate Discoteque, but I often wonder if Staring at the Sun was the lead single, or Gone, even LNOE had been the lead, and the whole Village People/Kmart thing didn't accompany it, what would have happened. Very key moment for them here. Because it undoubtedly altered EVERYTHING for this band after that.

ATYCLB - great single choice, and great hype of "going back to the basics" worked so well for them here

Bomb - Also a good single choice, and smart pairing with Apple to keep them up in the biggest band status

No Line - How do you solve a problem like Boots. Ugh. Not much to say other than it was not good. Obviously leading with Magnificent would have been a real game changer for this album. Again, the band was lucky they were coming off the success of Vertigo and Bomb, because stations actually played the song for a couple weeks before abandoning it.

SOI - Again, horrible choice with Miracle. Paired along with their second stupidest decision (Apple release), put the album in a coffin, set it on fire and dumped it off a cliff.
Obvious choice, start off with EBW, DON'T show up and play at the Apple event, but still team with Apple to do a tasteful ad campaign featuring EBW (not kicking over drumsets and smashing guitars), and offering iTunes users to download the album for free for one week.

And last stupidest - waiting too damn long between albums when you are in your late 40's to 50's.

Honorable mention - teaming up with Blackberry instead of Apple to sponsor 360.

Do you know what pizza is?
Yes, and I know what a pie is... two vastly different things. :uhoh: so what is a pizza pie? I'm imagining a freak hybrid right now.

Remember when Bono was taken aback when they played it at shows and people were singing along? Like how thick are you man?

That wasn't Mercy, that was North Star, performed in Munich. :) That would be the internet. He was genuinely surprised as it was the 4th performance of the song ever and it had not been available before they started playing it.

No Line - How do you solve a problem like Boots. Ugh. Not much to say other than it was not good. Obviously leading with Magnificent would have been a real game changer for this album. Again, the band was lucky they were coming off the success of Vertigo and Bomb, because stations actually played the song for a couple weeks before abandoning it.

I hated GOYB for the longest time, and listened to it maybe 2 or 3 times before thinking to myself "this is pure shit" and going out of my way to avoid it. I heard it fresh again about 2 or 3 weeks ago and actually think it's not as bad as everyone says.

It sounds to me like the band had about 5 or 6 quite promising song chunks that they couldn't figure out what to do with and just slapped them all together.

Yes it's a silly song with ridiculous lyrics, but that really isn't anything new for this band ("Hello Hello...HOLA", "A mole digging in a hole", you could go back further to Playboy Mansion/Miami, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and others that I can't be bothered to figure out specifically right now). Simple silly lyrics are not enough on their own to kill a track if the music is good. For example I think the pre-chorus ("You don't know") is actually really good and I think they could have had a great song if they had fleshed out the idea, I like the tinge of Arabic/North African influence. It could have been an excellent track if there were verses with a similar theme. The guitar riff is quite good, and the rhythm section is fantastic (the real stars of the song are Adam and Larry).

It's a bunch of good, promising song ideas that should have each been developed into songs in their own right, but the poor execution of smashing them all together when they sound so different, in combination with (not because of) the silly lyrics, is what killed the song for a lot of people. There's just way too much going on and the song requires a few listens and a chance to grow.

By no means is it anywhere close to a song I'm going to seek out to listen to again any time soon, but it really doesn't deserve the reputation as being slightly worse than a One Direction/William Hung duet like GOYB seems to have around here.

Doesn't that describe any U2 album ever? I think every U2 album sounds amazing to Interference once. Awful production, lyrics, sequencing, etc. are the kinds of things that hurt replay value, not necessarily the initial impression.

But I do agree that the Bomb era was, objectively, a massive success for the band.

Last edited:
My only main problems with Bomb were track listing (COBL would've been an incredible opener) and production. The album is full of quality songs and there's a couple real gems in there.

The only thing about the original Mercy leak was that I wish a higher quality version of it leaked. If I recall the mp3 was a pretty low bitrate even for the time.

Yes, and I know what a pie is... two vastly different things. :uhoh: so what is a pizza pie? I'm imagining a freak hybrid right now.

Yes, two vastly different things. But, here in the New York Metro area, (and possibly other areas too) pie is slang for pizza. So if you went into a pizza place and ordered a large pie, they would make you a large pizza. But, if you ordered a pizza pie, they would definitely know that you were from out of town. :wink: In other words its redundant. Kind of like ATM Machine or frozen tundra. A tundra is frozen ground so saying frozen frozen ground just sounds silly. Kind of like pizza pie.

In Australia pie and pizza are two completely different things so I wouldn't cast it in the same light as ATM machine. Pizza pie sounds like a deep dish pizza but I suppose it is region specific. Like when people say Koala Bear....

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Back
Top Bottom