what if the new ALBUM is not that good.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seriously, I don't think the album will suck, but it will most likely, in my opinion, be a let down compared to "All That You Can't Leave Behind." I like that record, but I also wouldn't mind something a little different. Sure, Bono saying stuff like how much more rocking and guitar-driven it will be does sound nice, but he seems to be a lot of talk sometime, and concerning U2 albums, I'd rather take the word of another band member, say, Adam Clayton. Remember when he said that the new record will be "poppier" than ATYCLB? I honestly think that's how the new album will sound (not that it's a bad thing).

:wave:

To be fair, Catman, if that's from the Rolling Stone article I'm thinking of, Adam actually said their were some songs leftover from the ATYCLB sessions that were slightly poppier and more immediate than the songs that were put on the album - and he said some of these song will likely turn up on the album, because, to use his words, "they're good". To the best of my knowledge, he didn't ever say the new songs the band have been recording for the upcoming album are more poppy. If you read a different article, I stand corrected. I'd be interested in reading it though!

The_acrobat said:
it'll have Bono's voice, Edge's guitar, Larry's drums and Adams bass lines. In the end....isn't that enough?

Not really, no. I'm a rock and roll fan, not an adult contemporary fan. I like U2 as a rock band (Streets, Bullet, God's Country, Exit, Sort of Homecoming, Pride, Hawkmoon, Desire, damn near all of AB, at least half of Pop, almost all of the first three records, and much more), not as an adult contemporary band (Stuck, Kite, Little While, Wild Honey, POE, When I Look at the World). ATYCLB took a turn towards "lite" musically, but not lyrically. But lyrics don't make a song rock, they just make it interesting to listen to. I want both; I've come to expect both. I think I can say that I can fairly expect both from U2. So when I say that I don't want the next record to suck, I mean that I'd like some rock and roll, please, not stuff I'm likely to hear on whatever radio station Dick Clark tells me will get me through my work day with out having to notice the music.

Don't get all wadded up and tell me how great your favorite song from ATYCLB is, or how I just don't understand because ____ saved your life. The record didn't rock, Edge's backwards guitar on Kite notwithstanding. Listen to it compared to almost any other U2 record, with the possible exception of UF, and you have to admit that it's their least rocking record ever. Of course, we all had this conversation when it first came out, too.

So, no; just because Adam, Larry, Edge, and Bono make a record, that's not enough. I'll buy it the day it comes out, and if I like it, I'll wear it out. If I don't like it, I'll whine about it here.

But it better not suck.

IMO I don't think any of their albums so far sucked. (however everyone has their favorites, obviously - and albums they just can't get into.)

Personally I thought ATYCLB - being hugely different than the usual r&b/rap/nu metal/bubble gum pop stuff you'd normally see or hear on MTV or radio at the time - was better than POP, because some of us do prefer straight forward songwriting over loads of effects and trying to look cool at any cost - and yes, it was nice to hear an optimistic album for once from the band. I don't see why they should be ashamed of it or something. With all the "being too soft" critisism, it had good guitar moments too. Just as much as U2 has their rocking moments it also has softer moments and they're always very melodic - a part of their appeal IMO. I don't hear anyone complaining JT was mainstream yet is their best selling album and they had two number ones in US. Apart from maybe Bullet the blue sky or Exit any of its songs could easily make it on the average radio station. )

*edit* how is A sort of homecoming a rocking song?

Last edited:
martha said:

Not really, no. I'm a rock and roll fan, not an adult contemporary fan. I like U2 as a rock band (Streets, Bullet, God's Country, Exit, Sort of Homecoming, Pride, Hawkmoon, Desire, damn near all of AB, at least half of Pop, almost all of the first three records, and much more), not as an adult contemporary band (Stuck, Kite, Little While, Wild Honey, POE, When I Look at the World). ATYCLB took a turn towards "lite" musically, but not lyrically. But lyrics don't make a song rock, they just make it interesting to listen to. I want both; I've come to expect both. I think I can say that I can fairly expect both from U2. So when I say that I don't want the next record to suck, I mean that I'd like some rock and roll, please, not stuff I'm likely to hear on whatever radio station Dick Clark tells me will get me through my work day with out having to notice the music.

Don't get all wadded up and tell me how great your favorite song from ATYCLB is, or how I just don't understand because ____ saved your life. The record didn't rock, Edge's backwards guitar on Kite notwithstanding. Listen to it compared to almost any other U2 record, with the possible exception of UF, and you have to admit that it's their least rocking record ever. Of course, we all had this conversation when it first came out, too.

So, no; just because Adam, Larry, Edge, and Bono make a record, that's not enough. I'll buy it the day it comes out, and if I like it, I'll wear it out. If I don't like it, I'll whine about it here.

But it better not suck.
The Unforgettable Fire is one of U2's best albums, yet the least rocking. 'A Sort of Homecoming' isn't exactly rocking out either, at least not the album version. It's very atmospheric, meandering, subdued, and rather soothing actually.

You could argue 'Kite' is vocally rocking as well then. Bono's voice is usually in "rock" mode...his voice has traditionally been a rock voice, in that it's a little rough, but still very good in a high register. It's made for songs like 'Bad' and 'One'. By the same token, you could argue 'One' is rocking based on his vocals.

I think that it's difficult to classify U2's sound as either rock or pop - if by rock lots of riffs and solos and distorted guitars/vocals is meant, than you could say AB was their only rock album. If rock is politically charged music, then it could be said War was a rock album. (and the first two albums were closer to to punk than rock IMO)

Other albums have so various influences it's hard to say what kind of music it is - maybe a "guitar band with soul" like Edge put it is the best way to describe them.

As for the new album: the sound of it has been discussed elsewhere so I will only say I don't think it will not be good. If Electrical storm is really the indication for their new sound (like Edge said, only he added he'd like to work on fast paced songs), I think it will be interesting.

As for album whining: do it if you want, but...it's been almost 3 years now. Let it go.

Last edited:
I don't think ATYCLB is any less rocking than Unforgettable Fire or War. I count Beautiful Day, Elevation, New York, Kite, and Walk On as rocking in the "U2 mode." U2 IMO is more of a mid-tempo rock song band. Their most "rocking"/ heavy times IMO were Boy thru War. Once Edge switched to atmospheric guitar playing, they started rocking less or were less hard. One could make the case that Rattle & Hum was the most rock & roll album b/c its very blues/ roots based but with Edge's "alternative guitar style."

Anyways, I wonder how much of popular and "undergroundish" music U2 is listening to these days. They are making such huge statements about "great" guitar work. I mean even people's most hated rock bands are putting out some neat guitar stuff so the idea of doing something different or something someone hasn't heard before isn't as likely anymore.

I mean At the Drive-In put out an amazing punk guitar record. Will Edge do something just as interesting or will we do the same old stuff? Also the key is to play these songs live as close to the album version as possible IMO.

I am amazed by the diversity of U2's fan base. I rememeber my first U2 show in 1985. I expected to see more fans like me (college age, clean cut, preppy [those were the days]), however I saw the punk and new wave crowd, the rockers and stoners too! It was amazing. Flash to the Joshua Tree, I was stopped by two guys who looked like they'd be more at home at a Metallica concert than a U2 show, and they looked at my Concert Tee, reading off show dates and bragged that they would be at the LA show the next week. My point is that I believe U2Girl is right when she says that U2's music/sound is hard to classify.

I really believe the new album will be of a "harder" rock, very loud guitar sound, which will be a new direction or a step back to the War days, however you wish to reflect on it. I think that both Martha and Shaun Vox will be pleased, but that there will be enough mid to slow tempoed songs for fans like Salome to enjoy too. I think this album will R-O-C-K!!!

If you ask me, U2's in a genre of their own. Simple as that.

And the new album, I really hope it's guitar-driven and quite rock-y. If Electrical Storm and Beat On The Brat are anything to go by, then it should be just what I'm looking for.

If you are expecting something entirely different than ATYCLB, I just think you are going to be disappointed. Hoping U2 are a different band than what they are. Probably moreso hoping that U2 would become more like they "used to be" as opposed to try and do something different.

I want a full on rock guitar album like Achtung, but I know good and well it won't happen. I don't want any songs like "In A Little While' or 'Stuck' or any psudeo-Motown stuff. But I know it could happen.

I'll take it for what it's worth. And if they make a song I don't care for, I'll hit skip on the CD player. I spent too much effort wondering why POP and ATYCLB didn't meet my expectations.

Some people want U2 to be something they aren't, which is 20 and 30 somethings. I have my probelms with ATYCLB, but I think it was probably the best album they could have made at that time. It was immensely popular and for a band in their 40's they reached an audience that no other 40 year olds are reaching.

Stop wanting U2 to be what you want, and just appreciate what they are. And if you don't like the new music, listen to something else. They have a lot of music to choose from. And there is some good music being made by much younger artists. Bono is 15 years older than I am. He and the band are just in a different place than I was on ATYCLB. I can accept it, but for many fans, the album really struck them in the soul. And that's good enough for me. Even though it wasn't up to "my" ridiculous standards.

Look at it ths way, they could have broken up years ago, and we'd be dying for them to put something out. WEll, they are putting something out, and my guess is it will be good.

And it will rock.

And some people won't like it, and most everyone else will.

And the debate will continue to piss everyone off. But at least it will be a "new" debate. And at least they will be touring.

U2DMfan said:
If you are expecting something entirely different than ATYCLB, I just think you are going to be disappointed. Hoping U2 are a different band than what they are. Probably moreso hoping that U2 would become more like they "used to be" as opposed to try and do something different.

I want a full on rock guitar album like Achtung, but I know good and well it won't happen. I don't want any songs like "In A Little While' or 'Stuck' or any psudeo-Motown stuff. But I know it could happen.

I'll take it for what it's worth. And if they make a song I don't care for, I'll hit skip on the CD player. I spent too much effort wondering why POP and ATYCLB didn't meet my expectations.

Some people want U2 to be something they aren't, which is 20 and 30 somethings. I have my probelms with ATYCLB, but I think it was probably the best album they could have made at that time. It was immensely popular and for a band in their 40's they reached an audience that no other 40 year olds are reaching.

Stop wanting U2 to be what you want, and just appreciate what they are. And if you don't like the new music, listen to something else. They have a lot of music to choose from. And there is some good music being made by much younger artists. Bono is 15 years older than I am. He and the band are just in a different place than I was on ATYCLB. I can accept it, but for many fans, the album really struck them in the soul. And that's good enough for me. Even though it wasn't up to "my" ridiculous standards.

Look at it ths way, they could have broken up years ago, and we'd be dying for them to put something out. WEll, they are putting something out, and my guess is it will be good.

And it will rock.

And some people won't like it, and most everyone else will.

And the debate will continue to piss everyone off. But at least it will be a "new" debate. And at least they will be touring.

That was great. You said it all. :yes:

I was one of those people who ATYCLB hit right in the soul. Not all the songs hit me that way. New York is probably one of my least favorite U2 songs. But Walk on was a song that just came and hit me right between the eyes on the first listen. And it still does that. Don't expect too much. Some of your expectations are just out of this world. I'm sure the record will rock harder than ATYCLB, but it's still going to sound like U2. You guys know how Bono tends to exaggerate. But maybe the album will meet your expectations. Who knows? But if you set it too high, you'll never have them met. So listen to the album with an open mind. If you don't like it, nobody will be forcing you to listen to it.

i also don't listen to atuclb that much. several reasons.
1, i don't like BD, new york(miami in POP, new york in atuclb, what about this time? indianapolis? pleae, no) and wild honey (but tom cruise likes it). its rare i don't like 3 songs or up in a U2 album.
2, i listened to too many song clips before the album was released. i swear i won't do that this time.
3, bono's vocal is weak. i think it will be a lot stronger in the up coming album, or i hope.

I heard the album is weak. Don't bother buying it, or even listening to the tracks. Because some of you will skip tracks, or wonder why U2 didn't write 10 or 12 tracks you completely love and worship. Some of you will think that album didn't live up to Bono's pronouncements, and some of you will wonder why they didn't follow the path they started with ATYCLB, or Pop, or write another Joshua Tree or Acthung Baby.

Some of you will be disappointed when U2 only tours arenas, or only stadiums or a mix of both. Half of us will love Bono's vocals and the other half will wonder why he didn't sing in the style of Bob Dylan (out of his nose), or like Al Jolson.

A few of you will hate the Edge's new hat, and the way he hits the E chord in the new single. Some of you will be pissed that the new album does or doesn't remind them of an old U2 album, or era. And most of us will criticize Bono for putting more effort into saving those sick and dying of AIDS in Africa then he did with his vocals on the new album and your aural pleasure.

Go on with your lives now....:ohmy:

Hey, leave his ass out of it! Now *that* is getting personal. :wink: Besides, what did his ass ever do to deserve such treatment? Sorry, I couldn't resist. That was asinine. Get it? "ass"-inine? Oh, crap. Look away, look away...nothing to see here...:reject: :ohmy:

Last edited:
Johnny_Mo said:
i also don't listen to atuclb that much. several reasons.
1, i don't like BD, new york(miami in POP, new york in atuclb, what about this time? indianapolis? pleae, no) and wild honey (but tom cruise likes it). its rare i don't like 3 songs or up in a U2 album.
2, i listened to too many song clips before the album was released. i swear i won't do that this time.
3, bono's vocal is weak. i think it will be a lot stronger in the up coming album, or i hope.

Alright fine.
But like I already said, nobody really cares.
You don't like it. That's fine. Do you expect people to read your post adn say "Wow.....I never thought of it that way....but now I hate it too. All hail Johnny_MO!!"

martha said:

Thanks for bringimg intelligence to the discussion. :rolleyes:

If you get personal again, I'll report your ass.

Yeah, I guess my comment was uncalled for. I apologize, really. Sometimes I forget that it's just music we're talking about. I didn't mean to come off like and asshole or "intelligent." My apologies, and I hope you can forgive the_acrobat. I must be an acrobat, to talk like this and act like that!!

im watching the video for one(the drag version) they look so young and sound so good. man i miss thoes days. here is hoping for them to drop this pop and playing it safe shit and just be what they are a rock&roll band and just dont give a shit about the radio and air play and so on.

stuck in a moment is very very good live.

martha said:
Some people here don't like rock and roll. That's ok. Some of us do. That's ok too.
I love rock 'n roll

U2 has hardly ever really rocked though

at least not in the way that I think about rock

relatively speaking Edge has only written a few riffs that really keep the song going
and the number of rocking solo's he has played is ever lower
Larry & Adam hardly ever really force a song on rhythmically

they do though always sound like U2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom