What are Spanish Eyes, anyway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
Bono likes to talk about "Spanish eyes" (the song itself, the line in "In a Little While," I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting). Heck, even Madonna has a song called "Spanish Eyes" on her Like a Prayer album.

So what the heck are Spanish Eyes, anyway?

My initial guess was "big, brown eyes," but I wanted to confirm that with others, just to make sure I'm not completely insane.

:wink:

Lots of songs talk about Spanish eyes....Backstreet Boys, Ricky Martin, and even Engelbert Humperdink. :laugh:

I think they're just used to describe big brown seductive looking eyes....Totally not mine :sigh: I'm stuck with slate blue....

There is actually a condition known as Spanish Eyes Syndrome that creates occular tension between the iris and the cornea causing severe headaches. This could be why Bono says that it's "Spanish Eyes" that bring him home; home to nurse the ailing Syndrome the protagonist of the song is suffering from.

VertigoGal said:
If Spanish eyes are just big brown eyes, then I have Spanish eyes.:flirt:

That's what I always thought they were. But then again, I've always thought Van Morrison was singing specifically to me in Brown Eyed Girl :lol:

:laugh: :heart: I love that song and love when I am dancing with a guy and he smiles and sings "My brown eyed girl" to me. *swoon*

There's also the story of the "Black Irish", Irish people like Ali with very dark eyes and hair, and olive skin, who are said to be descendants of the Spanish sailors who were shipwrecked on the Irish coast after the failure of their Armada assault against England. Hence, the Spanish Eyes.

VertigoGal said:
But then again, I've always thought Van Morrison was singing specifically to me in Brown Eyed Girl :lol:

I always loved that song, and that particular thought has occured to me as well.

As for the question, I would guess he's talking about Ali in that song, so...her eyes.

biff said:
There's also the story of the "Black Irish", Irish people like Ali with very dark eyes and hair, and olive skin, who are said to be descendants of the Spanish sailors who were shipwrecked on the Irish coast after the failure of their Armada assault against England. Hence, the Spanish Eyes.

Interesting.

biff said:

*Looks up family tree and wonders if I have a shot in hell even though I have blue eyes* :D

biff said:

That's an interesting story. My maternal grandmother is Irish and had jet-black hair and brown eyes. So does my mom. I don't look anything like either of them, though, except for being short.

biff said:

Really? I had always heard that a friend of mine was "Black Irish" since he's 100% Irish but looks like something from Italy or Spain (black/dark brown hair, dark skin, dark eyes). Weird!

No, but seriously, there is actually a condition known as Spanish Eyes Syndrome that creates occular tension between the iris and the cornea causing severe headaches. This could be why Bono says that it's "Spanish Eyes" that bring him home; home to nurse the ailing Syndrome the protagonist of the song is suffering from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom