We've lost a wonderful friend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. BAW

ONE love, blood, life
:sad: On Saturday, the BAW family lost a very, very good friend named Dilver; he'd always say, "Hi, I'm Dil like in pickle!!!"

He was once considered family until he and the older sister stopped dating after almost 20 years. More than a brother than my real brother, we partied often, we traveled to local sporting events and to our timeshares in Puerta Vallarta...admittedly, he was never in good health, poor eater, a heavy-drinker and once a part-time smoker, he was a work-aholic as well....he had countless by-pass procedures, angiagrams but he just didn't get it...BAW and I grew very close to Dil as during the first couple years of our relationship, we lived doors down from my sister and Dil; we were usually together...

Over the past weekend, he died of an apparent heart attack while mowing his lawn..always the giver and never the taker; he was such a nice man..we last saw him at our father's memorial in December...he didn't look well...

Since separating with our sister, he was extremely happy; he had remarried, no new children to speak of and he talked of traveling which we know he did...he leaves behind two adult children who, during his life, really took a toll on him (due to their lifestyles)..he has several grandchildren that miss him dearly as we all will... :sad:

The irony of his passing is that on Saturday evening, BAW and I attended a concert featuring Raul Malo, former lead singer of the the former Mavericks...he sang a medley of older songs including "Guantanamera..." (Dil, while usually drunk on his ass would sing at the top of his lungs, 'One Ton Tomata"...the irony being that while the song was being sung, I turned to BAW and told her to picture Dil singing that in Mexico....the next day, we learned he is gone...:sad:

Please say a prayer for his family .. thank you.

Last edited:
I can add that his death came as a shock to me this morning. I was talking to my sister this morning and she had been meaning to call him the last couple of weeks but never did. I guess we can learn from that. When you have a tug in your heart to call someone, take the time to do it because you never know.

I remember the fun times in Mexico too! And playing poker with Dil and taking all his money.

I know he will be missed by his family and mine too. :(

I'm really sad to lose such a good friend but I'm actually smiling instead of crying, which is weird...we had so many good times with Dil over the years and he was such a happy guy, I would rather think about that.

Some of our best times ever were in Mexico, with a fridge full of Corona and Dil grossing us all out eating mango in a tortilla...getting plastered and singing along with the house band in bad Spanish, Doozer and I teasing him because the timeshare people thought his name was "Silver"

His most infamous moment though was the night he went out on the town alone and got so drunk, we found him sleeping outside on the patio the next morning, covered in mud...we still don't know what happened to him but he had a damn good time, whatever he did :lol:

He was a really good guy.

I remember him always walking in the room, seeing me and saying " HELLO THERE MR. RICKY"! and poker chips on his face with Doozer.

Im so sorry about your sudden loss :( :hug: Your friend's family are in my prayers

Really good though that you are able to think of the great times that you shared together. Those memories will last a lifetime :hug:

It's always hard to lose those who we hold dear to us,whether it be family or friends. I 'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and my prayers and thoughts go out to you and his loved ones. :hug:

Mrs. Edge said:
That is very sad news Rick & Char, I'm so sorry! :( :hug:
Jess, you are one of the few to have ever watched our wedding video...do you remember the scene where I tossed Char's garter and the guy who caught it put it on his head for the rest of the evening? that was Dil!!! and yes, that was Dil being Dil....

This has actually touched me; he was so much of a VERY good friend to me...he worked for the US Department of Defense, loved his job and never brought his work home...his love of family despite their shortcomings,,,he was something...

While we still lived near them, I'll never forget that he had just gotten word that he would need another bypass...we joked and told him that he couldn't have "sex" for a couple of months...Dil laughed and said, "Ain't got no blood up here (motioning to his heart) but I got plenty of blood down there! (motioning to his privates)...!!! LOL..."

I confess I hadn't seen him since December but that doesn't mean I can't miss him....:sad: again....

Back
Top Bottom