Week 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChargedVT

Refugee
Well we're up to week 7 already, hasnt the time flown.
Well In Ireland it finally drops off the number one spot down to #5, but the good news is that HTDAAB was the biggest selling album of 2004 in Ireland.
In Australia it stays at #7 which is good, at least its not dropping further. SYCMIOYO is already getting airplay so watch for that to possibly have an affect on sales soon.

I wouldn't have predited the drop in Ireland, although I expect it will bounce back. Do you know how many copies it has sold in Ireland ?

Mike

up from 14 to 12 here in the UK....... good to see it rise once again... hopefully back into the top 10 next week

Anyone got the stats for last 2 weeks in UK? Sometimes starting to be played a lot on radio in the UK and getting great reactions from the DJ's - if success of scissor sisters is anything to go with, 4 strong singles will keep this album as one of U2's biggest ever in the UK

GOOD NEWS FROM ITALY

Italian chart update:

HTDAAB #3 in its 7th week (up 2 spots!)
Vertigo #2 in its 9th week (up 4 spots just behind Band Aid "Do they know it's christmas")

chart run so far:

HTDAAB 1-1-4-5-5-5-3

Vertigo 1-1-1-1-6-6-7-6-2

the album and Vertigo are both success here and started showing a remarkable stayin power

Could someone give me the charts from Netherlands because i'm missing a week:

1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

What is not correct because it should be 7 weeks?!

Ask and ye shall be heared!

:ohmy:

Somebody just asked for correct info from the Netherlands. I guess our small country does hold some interest for the rest of the world. If anything, U2 releases usually do pretty well here. Anyway, the past few weeks were a bit confusing (hence probably the request for more info) as there were year-end charts, new charts and then not every chart was a new chart. So this week would give a bit more clarity where exactly we are living. As always, the charts are compiled by the Mega Charts (http://www.megacharts.nl).
It seems that last week was indeed a proper chart week. It was the first time I could remember that happened, as usually the two last weeks are lumped together as one week. For the first year of ATYCLB this wasn't a problem, as the album charted a week early here (based on street date violations), but I feared for confusion and inconsistency this time. Luckily, it didn't happen.
Unfortunately, the album dropped a spot again. It was #4 for the past 2 weeks, but now it's #5. There's still nothing known about sales figures (or its relative performance). I suspect it was a very slow week too in the Netherlands.
Here is the chart run for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (29-11-2004)
1-1-2-3-4-4-5

While there apparently was an album chart last week, there definately wasn't a singles chart. :huh: So now we're at week 8 for Vertigo, while it was week 7 two weeks ago. In any case, Vertigo is on its way down. But it's a slow slide. Two weeks ago, the actual chart position in the regular chart (which does include some airplay) wasn't known, so the position from the sales chart was used. That was #23 (which was down from #20 in sales the week previous). Now, we do have the actual chart positions. In week 7, the single was #21 and not #23. This week, the single does drop to that position.
Chart run Vertigo (15-11-2004)
2-3-3-10-13-18-21-23

The current #1 album is Hotel New York by Anouk. It's her 5th week at the top she equals the performance of her album Lost Tracks from 2001. The Christmas #1 single was Bigger Than That by Popstars The Rivals boyband Men2B, resulting in them winning the show. The current #1 single is Plaything by the Popstars The Rivals girlgroup Raffish.

C ya!

Marty

Official BB's Us chart: U2 is #12 up 2 places from #14.

We know that #10 has sold 67k copies so U2 is very likely to have sold 60k :)

Popmartijn said:
Ask and ye shall be heared!

:ohmy:

Somebody just asked for correct info from the Netherlands. I guess our small country does hold some interest for the rest of the world. If anything, U2 releases usually do pretty well here. Anyway, the past few weeks were a bit confusing (hence probably the request for more info) as there were year-end charts, new charts and then not every chart was a new chart. So this week would give a bit more clarity where exactly we are living. As always, the charts are compiled by the Mega Charts (http://www.megacharts.nl).
It seems that last week was indeed a proper chart week. It was the first time I could remember that happened, as usually the two last weeks are lumped together as one week. For the first year of ATYCLB this wasn't a problem, as the album charted a week early here (based on street date violations), but I feared for confusion and inconsistency this time. Luckily, it didn't happen.
Unfortunately, the album dropped a spot again. It was #4 for the past 2 weeks, but now it's #5. There's still nothing known about sales figures (or its relative performance). I suspect it was a very slow week too in the Netherlands.
Here is the chart run for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (29-11-2004)
1-1-2-3-4-4-5

While there apparently was an album chart last week, there definately wasn't a singles chart. :huh: So now we're at week 8 for Vertigo, while it was week 7 two weeks ago. In any case, Vertigo is on its way down. But it's a slow slide. Two weeks ago, the actual chart position in the regular chart (which does include some airplay) wasn't known, so the position from the sales chart was used. That was #23 (which was down from #20 in sales the week previous). Now, we do have the actual chart positions. In week 7, the single was #21 and not #23. This week, the single does drop to that position.
Chart run Vertigo (15-11-2004)
2-3-3-10-13-18-21-23

The current #1 album is Hotel New York by Anouk. It's her 5th week at the top she equals the performance of her album Lost Tracks from 2001. The Christmas #1 single was Bigger Than That by Popstars The Rivals boyband Men2B, resulting in them winning the show. The current #1 single is Plaything by the Popstars The Rivals girlgroup Raffish.

C ya!

Marty

some additions:

Dutch airplay top 50: vertigo at number 7 !
Dutch Ringtone top 50: Mission Impossible at number 4 !
(from my memories it stays there ever since the start of the whole ringtone-thing. This tune is very popular!)
Dutch Music DVD top 30: go home - slane castle at number 27 (from 20, 57th week already)

The rest of the week 7 Billboard...

HTDAAB - #1 on Top Internet Album Sales

Vertigo - up two spots to 38 this week on Hot 100

- holds at #9 on Adult Top 40 with increased airplay

- drops to #15 from #9 on Mainstream Rock tracks

- drops to #19 from #12 on Hot Dance/Music Club chart

ABOY - rises to #8 from #12 on Modern Rock tracks with increased airplay

Best of 1980-1990 - rises to #19 from #31 on Pop Catolog charts with increase in sales

Already posted by Dima

Dr.,

The album chart position was already posted, hence the title "The rest of week 7 Billboard Chart news...

Dima said:
Official BB's Us chart: U2 is #12 up 2 places from #14.

We know that #10 has sold 67k copies so U2 is very likely to have sold 60k :)
:

:wink: :wink:

Re: Already posted by Dima

beLIEve said:
Dr.,

The album chart position was already posted, hence the title "The rest of week 7 Billboard Chart news...

:

:wink: :wink:

DOH! I missed Dima's post. I saw the U.K. post, but not the U.S. one.

So, now that we know the chart position, can we estimate sales? I think they are higher than what HITS has listed.

Re: Re: Already posted by Dima

doctorwho said:

DOH! I missed Dima's post. I saw the U.K. post, but not the U.S. one.

So, now that we know the chart position, can we estimate sales? I think they are higher than what HITS has listed.

What we know for sure is the following:

a) Number 10 (Kelly Klarkson) sold 67,000 copies (source: Billboard, Rolling Stone)
b) Number 14 (TuPac) sold 55,000 copies (source: Rolling Stone)

One way to obtain a reasonable estimate for U2´s sales is to compute the average of the above numbers (given that Bomb is number 12 this week); that makes 61,000 copies for U2.

In any case, the only thing we know for sure are the upper and lower sales bounds. Note the lower bound (i.e. 55,000) is even higher than Hits predictions.

My guess is the album has sold no less than 60,000 copies this week.

F.

Re: Re: Re: Already posted by Dima

fedeu2 said:

What we know for sure is the following:

a) Number 10 (Kelly Klarkson) sold 67,000 copies (source: Billboard, Rolling Stone)
b) Number 14 (TuPac) sold 55,000 copies (source: Rolling Stone)

One way to obtain a reasonable estimate for U2´s sales is to compute the average of the above numbers (given that Bomb is number 12 this week); that makes 61,000 copies for U2.

In any case, the only thing we know for sure are the upper and lower sales bounds. Note the lower bound (i.e. 55,000) is even higher than Hits predictions.

My guess is the album has sold no less than 60,000 copies this week.

F.

This is exactly what I used to do before we had SoundScan data! :)

Therefore, with this in mind, I will use 61,000 as the estimate for this week.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Already posted by Dima

doctorwho said:

This is exactly what I used to do before we had SoundScan data! :)

Therefore, with this in mind, I will use 61,000 as the estimate for this week.

Nice you agree with me Doctorwho.

I mean, you and Sting2 are the sales and statistics masters here!

With a 7th week total now in with 61,000 copies sold, this puts BOMB's total sales in the United States at:

Only 2 million more copies to go before the album surpasses ATYCLB sales in the USA. The album could accomplish that in just 34 weeks at this weeks current sales level.

Hmmm - same chart change as the U.K = from 14 to 12. Interesting...

Has ABOY entered the billboard top 100. It is not in the top 50 and you need to be a subscriber to see the whole chart. It is good news that ABOY gets a decent rise from 12 to 8 on the modern rock tracks chart.

Vertigo, like it is doing all around the world, is being really stubborn and staying in the top 40 - an improvement to 38 is a fair effort.

The current billboard chart is also showing what hit singles can do - Both Destiny Child and Green Days album have had good bumpos in recent weeks. In fact, Green Day's song - Boulevard of Broken Dreams is up from 16 to 11 so it shows it is possible to get a rock song in the top 20. There is hope for U2 yet - just not sure whether ABOY will do it.

There are some album's starting to slide so if U2 can hold or even improve sales, it could be back in the top 10 next week. It is amazing how only 40k copies separate number 1 to number 12 - geez sales were absolutley dismal this week.

world chart news

from MEDIATRAFFIC.DE
ALBUMS: with sales of one single day, Exile's 'Perfect Best' shoot at no.8 last week - now after a full sales-week the album scores the global chart easily with sales of 771.000 copies +++ far behind follows Eminem's 'Encore', which slides 1-2 on sales of 244.000 copies (down 40% from the previous week) +++ U2's 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' drops also one spot to no.3 (down 33% to 212.000 copies) +++ Green Day's 'American Idiot' is still at no.4 (down 28% to 209.000 copies) and Jay-Z & Linkin Park's 'Collision Course' falls 3-5 (down 41% to 176.000 copies) +++ TRACKS: Destiny's Child's 'Lose My Breath' celebrates a 10th week at the summit with 287.000 points (down 9% from the previous wek) +++ U2's 'Vertigo' holds the no.2 position for a sixth week in a row with (down 4% to 254.000 points) - just shy of U2's 'Vertigo' is Gwen Stefani's 'What You Waiting For' at no.3 (up 3% to 254.000 points) +++ only one new-entry tihs week, it's Ashanti's 'Only U' at no.38 (57.5000 points) +++

u2 fall to #3 and a new j-pop act tops the world chart...anyway i think that about 200k copies per week is near the normal number of copies we should expect from HTDAAB.

As a side note Eminem's advantage on U2 now relies only on US sales...good :)

now total sales for U2 are 5.816.000: hopefully next week HTDAAB will cross the 6 million's mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom