Week 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
The Netherlands:

How to dismantle an atomic bomb #82 (#72)

Hopefully it will come back to top 50/60 with the release of Vertigo tour DVD. All that you can't leave behind stayed for 76 weeks in the album top 100 but bomb's singles did better here.

i want HTDAAB in top 200 again in uk and a re- enter in top 200 in Us...please!!!!:sad:

ps.IMO bomb can re enter in top 200 usa only if u2 had some nominations for Grammy awards....

Early UK numbers this week:

49 - 74 - ALL BECAUSE OF YOU - U2 - ISLAND - CIDX906 - 4
186 - 175 - VERTIGO - U2 - ISLAND - CIDX878 - 43

187 - 178 - THE BEST OF 1980-1990 - U2 - ISLAND - CIDU211 - 301

Sadly, no Bomb in the Top 200.

Shame Bomb's dropped back out of the top 200...i really thought it might be back on a roll - maybe next week ?

Anyway it's probably just outside, so still sold another 1,000 copies.

Why does Best Of 80-90 do so well ? 'Cos its a classic compilation :wink:

Italy: HTDAAB 89 (92).

Chart Run:
1-1-4-5-5-6-3-3-4-8-
6-10-9-8-8-9-15-14-21-17-
16-17-17-26-33-33-44-42-41-39-
41-33-29-17-10-10-18-22-14-22-
21-37-41-47-61-97-63-92-89-

Single chart:
ABOY 2 (5)
COBL 45 (45)

ybird3k said:
#37 thats poor.

how many copies has bomb sold in germany to date?

I think that #37 is ok, we are talking about Germany where U2 singles never do very well. Vertigo was only #9 in its first week.

Yeah, i think # 37 is OK for Germany but why is it released so late there ? Just means it probably now won't make it on mediatraffic world top 40.

Also, what about France ? I haven't seen it on the French top 100 yet...has it even been released there ?

i dont see why they cant have a global release date for singles, instead of releasing in a diffrent country each week

Well, i think they could at least have the same release date for whole of Europe...not sure about US though (different market & all that).

Btw - regarding German sales of Bomb : i reckon 380-450K (probably 400K)

so 400k from both france and germany, doesnt seem too great when UK sales are nearly 1.2M, and france has same population as UK and Germany has lot more. i guess its their music markets arent as strong.

i was surprised robbie williams sold so many in his first week in germany

KUEFC09U2 said:
how can you say bomb is doing bad when its already outsold ATYCLB :|

i'm not saying it hasnt done well, just that out of the 200 already and ATYCLB was there for a LOT longer.

and with the bomb singles doing better (apart from maybe the longterm appeal of beautiful day) and also the vertigo tour being much bigger than elevation, i just thought that HTDAAB would have sold quite a lot more than ATYCLB.

ybird3k said:
so 400k from both france and germany, doesnt seem too great when UK sales are nearly 1.2M, and france has same population as UK and Germany has lot more. i guess its their music markets arent as strong.

i was surprised robbie williams sold so many in his first week in germany

Yeah, the UK currently has the highest per capita rate of CD album sales IN THE WORLD....roughly 3x bigger than France & Germanys. So 412K in France is equal if not slightly better than the UK total (of 1,193,000)...this is reflected in it's slightly better chart run there.

The German chart run hasn't been quite as good as either UK or France but, remember, it sold 130K in it's 1st week there (90K 1st week in France) & there are around 22M more people in Germany. It was also certified 3xGold (= to 300K or, i think, 1xPlat) in Germany months ago (back in Dec/Jan, i think).

To be honest though, i'm not exactly sure about the German figure : maybe it's now 450-500K ?...

Last edited:
edge3 said:

Yeah, the UK currently has the highest per capita rate of CD album sales IN THE WORLD....roughly 3x bigger than France & Germanys. So 412K in France is equal if not slightly better than the UK total (of 1,193,000)...this is reflected in it's slightly better chart run there.

...on 2nd thoughts, this is bugging me so i'll try & be a bit more precise : i'd say on a per capita basis the UK CD album market is 3x bigger than France's & 2x bigger than Germany's. So i should have said : '...roughly 2-3x bigger than France & Germanys'

Btw - France's population & per capita album sales rate is v.similar to Italy's. So the 550K or so that Bomb has now sold in Italy is roughly equal to 1,650,000 (or 5xPlat+) now sold in the UK

The Bomb is still certified with 3xGold in Germany (=300k). This certification was in January 2005. I've hoped that the Bomb got the double platinum status (= 400k) with their tour in Germany, but this was not the case :|

fitz said:
The Bomb is still certified with 3xGold in Germany (=300k). This certification was in January 2005. I've hoped that the Bomb got the double platinum status (= 400k) with their tour in Germany, but this was not the case :|

Thanks Fitz...so you think about 380K ?

...i must say though, i'm a bit surprised if it is 'only' 380K...maybe the record company just haven't bothered to get it re-certified ? This still happens in the UK, even with new albums : the best recent example being Green Day's 'American Idiot' which is still 3xPlat but should be at least 4xPlat (it's sold close to 1.5M)

edge3 said:

The German chart run hasn't been quite as good as either UK or France but, remember, it sold 130K in it's 1st week there (90K 1st week in France) & there are around 22M more people in Germany. It was also certified 3xGold (= to 300K or, i think, 1xPlat) in Germany months ago (back in Dec/Jan, i think).

To be honest though, i'm not exactly sure about the German figure : maybe it's now 450-500K ?...

Actually I think Ireland might be the highest per capita rate of album sales for the BOMB since it is 9 times platinum there.

Back
Top Bottom