Vote: ABOY or Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligemini

The Fly
Which do you like better of the two video experiences?

I personally vote for Streets. Loved ABOY but when I first saw the Streets vid back then, I thought whoa - this hasn't been done before, these guys rock, they will do everything for their fans - a free show - wow!

ABOY certainly had its moments but to me it just didn't feel fresh. I liked that it was in NY, and the moving platform to reach everyone but I don't know, it just didn't feel right, don't know how to explain it...

What do you guys think?:shrug:

Whats that ACDC video? Long Way to the Top? or sumfin. One of their videos had a very similar concept. But then I think a lot of bands have done the "flat bed truck" thang.

I prefer the Streets video myself. Theres more interaction with the locals. :up:

Streets.

It had a more spontanous feel. And both the band and the fans seemed more into it, giving Streets a lot more energy.

Yeah the ACDC one was the first......it was Long way to the Top ...and it was done down swanston street in Melbourne Australia.

another notable mention to the sex pistols and their their "god save the Queen' trip down the thames..

well im glad they didnt do another rooftop thing..its already been done aswell....The beatles.(and the B-sharps)

Streets - it has a more 'accessible' feel about it, which I really like. There doesn't seem to be as many barriers between the band and the locals as there are in teh ABOY vid.

I prefer Streets, has a better feel to it, with extra energy.

The opening few seconds of ABOY with the NYC Police reminded me of Streets too.

As to other bands, ACDC (as mentioned) and The Rolling Stones.

I prefer 'Streets' cus the band looks more into it and more at risk too. In 'streets' they got to walk and move around on their feet, practically hang off the edge of the building. On the flatbed they just kinda stand there with nowhere to go but where the truck goes. Plus I think the truck is kinda cheesy. I like the whole on top of a building in the middle of hot summer day approach. The fans had to go to the building to see the band, vesus in 'aboy' the band having to go on a truck on a random NY fanhunt. Not that they are desparate but it does kinda come off that way to me- 'hey lets go to where there's tons of people cus they aren't coming to us, and at the same time lets slow everything down'

"Streets" was fun, but ultimately was shut down. The law enforcement didn't allow U2 to perform in L.A.

In contrast, the law enforcement of NYC said "go ahead" to U2 with ABoY - which was cool.

"Streets" had people dancing and it was fun seeing U2 at the beginning of their super huge fame.

With ABoY, that super huge fame has long since been established and it was now great seeing fans reference past U2 glory ("Rock'n'Roll Stops the Traffic" sign).

People weren't poking their heads out of windows wondering who was playing on a rooftop - instead, people were deliberately chasing a moving truck on a chilly November day in the hopes of seeing free U2.

So while ABoY video is clearly a nod to U2's past (the same argument can be said for the album itself) and to the "Streets" video, I think ABoY is the better video. However, both are great.

My one complaint about the ABoY video is Larry. Damn! :mad: This is the second or third time I've seen this guy just look so bland - no animation whatsoever. He doesn't look bored - rather, as if he's in a trance and just going through the motions. It makes me long for the pained looks he used to have while playing the drums.

Last edited:
I thought about this one all on the way to work. It's hard, because I like Streets better as a song. But we're talking videos.

I know Streets has been done before (A Hard Day's Night) but I still love the concept. I love the way the crowd gathers. I love how the band plays to that crowd.

But to me, ABOY feels more authentic. There is much less distance between the band and the fans. There is genuine interaction with them. And the lyric fits the video better, I think. The video is U2's homage to their fans. No matter what you think the *song* ABOY is about, the video shows clearly that U2 knows they have gotten where they are today because of their fans.

So, with that in mind, my vote would have to go to All Because of You.

I've seen it right now and would vote for ABOY. Streets are fantastic, song is better, but that "copter-camera shots" on the bridge are wonderful.
Back in 1987, they played just for few workers and mothers with abbies, but the director made them look like a 400 people crowd :wink: (I wasn't there, but it looks like that).

beau2ifulday said:
Streets - it has a more 'accessible' feel about it, which I really like. There doesn't seem to be as many barriers between the band and the locals as there are in teh ABOY vid.

ummmm... streets was on a roof top, 20-30 feet away from the nearest fan

all because of you is on a flatbed truck... 5 feet or less from the nearest fan. how exactly is streets "more accessible" then that?

the spontinaity (sp) of both videos is pretty much equal. we knew u2 would be doing something, and that it would end in brooklyn and would probably involved a flatbed truck, but no one knew the extent of it... that they'd actually drive throughout the streets of manhattan, literally stopping the traffic. i still get goosebumps when i think back to that day... standing in brooklyn, waiting for the band to show up, and then all of a sudden helicopters start flying over the enterance of the manhattan bridge, a roar goes up from the crowd, and a flatbed truck inches across the bridge at like 5 miles per hour in the middle of new york rush hour traffic, with a tiny irish lad jumping up and down on the back of it. it was surreal, to say the least.

I always felt that the Streets video was a bit boring, I like some moments like with the Police closing everything and taking Bono when he is with his guitar :evil:! Or the shutting it all down discussion. And other little moments but I don't think that video suits the song at all. I know that song is called Where The STREETS Have No Name but still.....

I like the ABOY video better, it suits the song better, it's a rawer and more rock n' roll song so it's more street like to me. I really like how it was shot, looking like a super 8 film. I love the split screens in the begging and the fact that Phil actually combines sound with the performance what I mean with that is that when you hear Larry hitting the drums you also see him hitting it at the same time, I know it might be a little thing for everybody else but I hate when I see things out of synch with the music. Plus the crowd reaction is great and I prefer New York than LA also. :D You can't go wrong with New York City, every corner is a good place to shoot. :drool:

Streets, there is no comparision. The feeling in streets is so much more spontaneous and it wasn't overpowered by screaming fans. Streets seemed to be done in a neighborhood where people just checked out the band. Plus, they seemed to really have fun and jam in streets I didn't get the feeling with ABOY.

I have to Say all because of you, Streets is my favorite song of all time, but I like this video better, and because it ends up suggesting that all because of you is not only to god, but to us fans. I think thats cool.

It seems to me that people here have a slight perception problem because if you really think the Where The Streets Have No Name video had more fan interaction you better go back and watch it again. U2 were standing on top of a building 2 or 3 stories away from the closest fan....I think that people are voting based on the song quality again and not the video quality...I think the ABOY video is really good as I do with Streets but ABOY I think is a better video over all, of course Streets is the better song though and in the end that is really what matters.

Streets for these reasons:

* too much fan screaming in ABOY

* Streets seems like a single performance and has the appearance of being "live" (not lip-synched) even though it wasn't. ABOY is severely edited and is clearly not just one performance

* far more energy from band members in Streets

* Streets came first and is a better song (is the ABOY vid a homage, sequel or remake?)

I'll have to go with Streets, because it was spontaneous and they defied the police and risked being shut down for performing. Here, they were allowed to go around the city on the truck, so it took away all the danger and risk factor. But it was nice to see them interact with their fans and seeing the fans so excited.

I like the video, mainly because I live in New York, and I do remember them going right by where I work. So, its more personal. But I wish that the video had ended with a shot of the crowd waiting for them in Brooklyn as they came over the bridge, and/or performing in Brooklyn. The ending fell flat here.

I think both the videos are awesome, but I would have to go with Streets because it's my favorite

"It makes me long for the pained looks he used to have while playing the drums."

Thanks for this quote... it just made me laugh really hard, for some reason. The wording is just absurd!

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was a competition between the SONGS... and I was like "You're kidding, right?" ABOY would win by a landslide :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i still get goosebumps when i think back to that day... standing in brooklyn, waiting for the band to show up, and then all of a sudden helicopters start flying over the enterance of the manhattan bridge, a roar goes up from the crowd, and a flatbed truck inches across the bridge at like 5 miles per hour in the middle of new york rush hour traffic, with a tiny irish lad jumping up and down on the back of it. it was surreal, to say the least.

:drool: That is so awesome... oh how I wish I lived in New York. I'm going with ABOY, because I love New York, the band is sexier now than they were in '87, and the moving truck is cooler than a rooftop. Plus you gotta love all the fan reactions (though I wish they wouldn't have had so much fan screaming :eyebrow: kinda makes it hard to hear the actual SONG), especially the "Rock 'n Roll Stops the Traffic" sign. This video gives me a really nostalgic feeling... it's been almost 20 years since the Streets video and U2 are hotter (I mean popularity and music wise, but physically too :wink: ) than ever. I dunno, for some reason the ABOY video makes me really happy and proud to be a U2 fan. Streets is great vid too, but I prefer ABOY (which I still to this day read as "A boy")

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom