Vertigo felt out of place at Live 8...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I wasn't expecting that one... it felt out of place, but I can see how they played it for the "Just give me what I want" part...

I would have replaced that with 'Streets' instead... 'Streets' is more African themed, and I think it's a good song to play.

Crumbs was the song to play, but Vertigo was rocking anyway.

Yeah - and "Silver And Gold", "Shadows And Tall Trees" plus "Do They Know It's X-mas Time", too.
Hey: The U2 set was good and moving, an excellent opener to the London leg ...

as has been said vertigo fits pretty well, feeling of confusion, not knowing what to do with this situation the world is in etc

KUEFC09U2 said:
as has been said vertigo fits pretty well, feeling of confusion, not knowing what to do with this situation the world is in etc

Swinging to the music yeah yeah yeah...

Vertigo is a nice rocker and it was a nice pumping it up song. Lyricswise it was a stupid choice of course...streets would have been the song but I can understand why they choose this song(everybody knows it etc).

man Coldplay sucked hahahaha

The arrangements of the 3 songs they played was interesting. It showed how really set in stone U2 have become. They are the exact arrangements they play on their shows at that moment. Otherwise why play Vertigo with that pauze in the beginning arrangement they use for their Euro live shows? Come on, its Live8. Un dos tres catorces and rock on like in the US shows. Or that Blackbird snippet after BD? Was that necessary?
Still, a solid set. Superior to all the whiny Britpop bands that followed on the London stage. No wonder it was the old guard like the Who, Pink Floyd and McCartney who were really rocking.

Muad'zin said:
The arrangements of the 3 songs they played was interesting. It showed how really set in stone U2 have become. They are the exact arrangements they play on their shows at that moment. Otherwise why play Vertigo with that pauze in the beginning arrangement they use for their Euro live shows? Come on, its Live8. Un dos tres catorces and rock on like in the US shows. Or that Blackbird snippet after BD? Was that necessary?
Still, a solid set. Superior to all the whiny Britpop bands that followed on the London stage. No wonder it was the old guard like the Who, Pink Floyd and McCartney who were really rocking.
and you didnt think the who, pink floyd, and McCartney were set in stone? if you dont then why dont you? everone expected the greatest hits, simply because thats what it was, FOR EVERYONE not just U2, a greatest hits show, and you dont think bono done the snippet because McCartney was actually standing side stage? and low and behold blackbird is a beatles song?

i am really shocked that people are bitching about what U2 played at live 8, why am i shocked? because it wasnt there show, everyone there wasnt there to see U2,

jeesus what next, man inventes stick

KUEFC09U2 said:
and you didnt think the who, pink floyd, and McCartney were set in stone? if you dont then why dont you? everone expected the greatest hits, simply because thats what it was, FOR EVERYONE not just U2, a greatest hits show, and you dont think bono done the snippet because McCartney was actually standing side stage? and low and behold blackbird is a beatles song?

i am really shocked that people are bitching about what U2 played at live 8, why am i shocked? because it wasnt there show, everyone there wasnt there to see U2,

Wow I actually agree with you..that's a first

Palace_Hero said:
U2 were great and I'm certainly not a sycophant.

Coldplay were vile and I am a fan. Are they going for the title of worlds most boring band?

After this weekend they do not have to go through too much trouble to get that title...

Coldplay was the worst of the acts I saw on tv. Vertigo was a terrible choice but was played to continue selling the new album.

barrett said:
Coldplay was the worst of the acts I saw on tv. Vertigo was a terrible choice but was played to continue selling the new album.

I would love it if that was the reason for playing it on an event like this....too bad city of blinding lights didn;t get played..Commercial wise that would have been the better choice
:wink:

theu2fly said:
I wasn't expecting that one... it felt out of place, but I can see how they played it for the "Just give me what I want" part...

I would have replaced that with 'Streets' instead... 'Streets' is more African themed, and I think it's a good song to play.

I disagree I think it fit great on the set. In fact it's the song I lied the most. Plus the crowd really liked it. I also wish they had pleayed Streets and Crumbs and made a more epic kind of performance but I don't think they had time for all of that.

It was the best set that you could imagine in given circumstances. This was not a U2 fan public, so they were obliged to sing some well-known tunes à la BD and Vertigo...

btw, Streets doesn't have that magic thing when it's not dark...

KUEFC09U2 said:

Jesus man, take a valium. Do I care that everyone was playing their greatest hits on such an event? No! What else should they play? But there's been a lengthy debate about how static U2's setlists are and as part of that debate I noticed that even their individual songs performance has become static. And you may think Bono did the Blackbird snippet because McCartney was backstage? Dream on. He's been doing that the entire tour. What I noticed was that they can't seem to deviate their songs from the context of their own show to a different setting. The way they did Vertigo is identical to the European shows cause there it starts they show. Thats why its played that way. Now it doesn't open the set and they still play it like that.

barrett said:
Vertigo was a terrible choice but was played to continue selling the new album.
Why do some people here have to see dollar signs behind everything the band does?

I don't really like Vertigo and I hate that they play it twice every show now, but I don't think it was a 'terrible choice' for Live 8 and I don't think it was played just to 'continue selling the new album'. After the Sgt. Pepper novelty thing with McCartney, U2 was the opening act and as the opening act they probably wanted to kick-start the show with something rocking. Maybe if they hadn't had the show in Vienna that night and had ended up closing Live 8 then they possibly would have played something like Streets or even Crumbs. But at two in the afternoon in front of thousands of people who had been waiting for hours for the show to start, I think a song like Vertigo was a great choice.

Muad'zin said:

Jesus man, take a valium. Do I care that everyone was playing their greatest hits on such an event? No! What else should they play? But there's been a lengthy debate about how static U2's setlists are and as part of that debate I noticed that even their individual songs performance has become static. And you may think Bono did the Blackbird snippet because McCartney was backstage? Dream on. He's been doing that the entire tour. What I noticed was that they can't seem to deviate their songs from the context of their own show to a different setting. The way they did Vertigo is identical to the European shows cause there it starts they show. Thats why its played that way. Now it doesn't open the set and they still play it like that.

At an event like Live 8, I don't care if U2 plays a 'safe' set - they're not playing in front of their own fans, they're playing in front of the world!! It's OK to put on the songs that everybody knows at such an occasion.

Regarding Blackbird - was I the only one who noticed the big grin Edge sent to the side of the stage - and Bono later on? Clearly McCartney was standing there, and the boys wanted to pay tribute to this remarkable man, they just had the honour of playing with. And yes, they've done it before on this tour - but still they could have chosen not to do it here.

barrett said:

Actually I thought Coldplay was good ... Snow Patrol sucked if you ask me. Their singer looked like he was stoned.:yuck:

I definitely think Vertigo was played to support the new album. Streets would have been a much better choice which from its origin fits in with Africa and U2's best live song to boot.

Is that version what they're playing in Europe?
It definitely rocked. Loved the electrifying "hello hello" beginning and the "power cut" after the no one gets hurt line.

Hmm... Does "Bad" have anything to do with Africa? Does SBS? They don't, and yet, both were played (and LOVED) at Live Aid.

Also, U2's rendition of "ONE" was not the Vertigo Tour version of the song. Anyone who thinks otherwise really isn't paying attention...

barrett said:
I definitely think Vertigo was played to support the new album. Streets would have been a much better choice which from its origin fits in with Africa and U2's best live song to boot.
Sure, definitely. Because we all know the real reason that Bono works so hard and gives so much time and money for aid to Africa is so that when there is a benefit concert he and the band can push their cd that was released last year. That's what is really inportant to him.

Sunday Bloody Sunday should have been played again. It was a protest of civil unrest, and cruelty... I think it would have been great...

I would have rather seen

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Streets

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom