US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason for a long process to find a jury is if they believe the trial will go on for months, trying to find people who can take that much time off of work or are available for that length of time really narrows the pool of jurors down.

None of this will be fast and easy. They've all shown they will file appeal after appeal.

One example of what could be in store for future is even if Trump is found guilty, he can appeal that and still be free. Steve Bannon was convicted how long ago and allowed to remain free. He's been doing his radio/tv show for how long while awaiting? A year?

I know it all comes across as doom and gloom, cause who is Trump going to pick up in new supporters?

I think the doom and gloom is the fact that the Democratic party could easily stay home because of whatever bullshit excuse they find. 80 years old. US backed Genocide of Gaza. Inflation.

We are a nation of idiots, and that should give any of us pause in thinking Trump is toast no matter what his fate is legally.

Even if we took away the shit show that is Trump and his legal processes, can we really state that the nation and world is in a good place? That doesn't usually bode well for an incumbent

Hope to fuck to be wrong and in 52 weeks it's not even a close contest.

2 Things.

1. Yes, things could take longer, but they probably won't. Especially in Georgia where they have shown zero indication that they will treat this trial different than any other. And if he gets convicted, he may or may not end up in a prison cell while they appeal. I know everyone wants the money shot of him being hauled away in handcuffs before the election. There's a good chance that it happens, but even if he doesn't, he'll be a convicted felon by election time. Which brings me to point #2.

2. For all the doom and gloom theories out there, the key point they're missing is what is happening in elections since the dreaded night in November 2016. Republicans are continuing to lose over and over again. They have no platform. Trump has no platform other than whatever nonsense he's babbling. He lost big in 2020, he'll lose bigger in 2024 (if he is actually the nominee). People are not going to vote for a convicted felon. Biden doesn't need to spark excitement because there's enough excitement sparked to keep Trump out of the White House. Consider Biden the luckiest candidate ever.

Last edited:
They've lost in every single election since 2016, and in bigger numbers every year since Roe - but hey, i'm sure that'll change when the soon to be felon who picked the judges who overturned Roe is on the ballot.

I still have a theory that Trump will kill himself before actually stepping inside a prison cell. There could be 1 deceased candidate on the ballot by the time the Election rolls around.

The cope from the online right wing is delicious today.

Add KY gov to the growing D bench for 2028 alongside Whitmer, Polis, Shapiro, etc.

I think last night showed it would be crazy to drop Biden from the ticket if he's still healthy enough to do the job.

The country has said multiple times now that they don't want extremes. They want "normal" and Biden and Dems are the only party that allows for it, especially with abortion being tied to GOP.

I still have a theory that Trump will kill himself before actually stepping inside a prison cell. .

He doesn't have the balls to off himself.
Plus, I still don't expect he'll ever actually go to prison. Some sort of house arrest type deal would be worked out.

What are people's thoughts on censure of Rep Tlaib?

I'm kinda torn on it, as it definitely is a free speech type issue but as an elected official she really seemed to go off a bit into misinformation and straight up calls for violence.

On October 7th, she categorized Hamas attacks as a "resistance"
She has consistently accused Biden of participating in Genocide of Palestinian people
She posted/tweet that Israel & therefore Biden were responsible for bombing a Gaza Hospital killing 500 people. When the facts came out and none of that was true, she refused to correct or remove her statements.
She released a video stating again that Biden is committing genocide and the people of her district won't forget come November 2024.
She released a statement claiming that "From the river to the sea" is a call for freedom, inspiration, liberation. Not a call to wipe out all Jews.

The latter is where I really felt like she lost the plot. The swastikas originally was a eastern symbol of peace (and in some cases fire) , yet if I were to tattoo it on my body or waive a flag with it, pretty sure no one would take that meaning of the symbol.

She has been approached by other members of congress asking her to reconsider or take back her statements especially where they were untrue and she refused.

While the potential is now there to censure every member of congress for this statement or that, I do think there are lines that get crossed.

If I had a vote in congress, I think I would have voted yes.

Supreme Court -- Abortion should be handled at the state level! Let the people decide

People have decided overwhelmingly.

GOP -- You know, this voting thing is not really what the founders envisioned. Maybe authoritarian rule is best

If I were the GOP, I would be in a straight up panic right now. The Supreme Court pretty much did a lay up for the Democrats next year.

US Reaper drone shot down near Yemen by Iran-backed Houthi rebels, official says
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/08/politics/us-drone-shot-down-near-yemen-houthi/index.html

An unmanned US military drone was shot down off the coast of Yemen by Houthi forces, a defense official told CNN.

The official said the MQ-9 Reaper drone was operating in international airspace and over international waters when it was shot down. US Central Command is investigating the incident, the official said.

The shootdown, which the Iran-backed Houthi militants took responsibility for earlier on Wednesday, comes several weeks after a US Navy warship, the USS Carney, intercepted multiple missiles and drones fired by the Houthis as they were heading north along the Red Sea. The ship shot down four cruise missiles and 15 drones over a period of nine hours, CNN previously reported, and their trajectory left little doubt that the projectiles were headed for Israel.

Iranian proxy groups have stepped up their attacks on US forces and assets in the Middle East in recent weeks following Hamas’ attack on Israel. US and coalition bases in Iraq and Syria have been attacked at least 40 times since October 17

Reports tonight that the U.S. is retaliating yet again with airstrikes on known Iranian proxies in Syria.

What are people's thoughts on censure of Rep Tlaib?

I'm kinda torn on it, as it definitely is a free speech type issue but as an elected official she really seemed to go off a bit into misinformation and straight up calls for violence.

On October 7th, she categorized Hamas attacks as a "resistance"
She has consistently accused Biden of participating in Genocide of Palestinian people
She posted/tweet that Israel & therefore Biden were responsible for bombing a Gaza Hospital killing 500 people. When the facts came out and none of that was true, she refused to correct or remove her statements.
She released a video stating again that Biden is committing genocide and the people of her district won't forget come November 2024.
She released a statement claiming that "From the river to the sea" is a call for freedom, inspiration, liberation. Not a call to wipe out all Jews.

The latter is where I really felt like she lost the plot. The swastikas originally was a eastern symbol of peace (and in some cases fire) , yet if I were to tattoo it on my body or waive a flag with it, pretty sure no one would take that meaning of the symbol.

She has been approached by other members of congress asking her to reconsider or take back her statements especially where they were untrue and she refused.

While the potential is now there to censure every member of congress for this statement or that, I do think there are lines that get crossed.

If I had a vote in congress, I think I would have voted yes.

Censure was appropriate. Both sides saying all kinds of inappropriate things these days, but two wrongs don't make a right.

The truth is that there are many other people accusing Biden of participating in the genocide of Palestinian people. I follow Biden and Jill on Instagram and every single thing their social media team posts is full of those comments in response. And it's not an opinion just on Instagram or X, have to believe that the comments reflect significant sentiments.

Innocent Palestinian men, women, and children are being killed by US aided and supported Israeli strikes. Those innocent people are not Hamas.

Two things can be true at the same time-we can acknowledge the wrong of that and also acknowledge the horrific attack by Hamas on Israel on October 7th. Whatever God anyone does or does not believe in, all innocent lives there are of equal importance in the eyes of that God and because morally they just are. You don't have to believe in any God to know that.

I love how the headline is Nikki Haley calling him scum after the way he behaved, interesting choice. He has no business talking about her daughter, and her heels are completely irrelevant.

He behaved in a scummy way in an obviously desperate attempt to get attention. She told him off, I'm certainly no fan of her but good for her.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/just-scum-nikki-haley-fires-back-vivek-ramaswamys-attacks-rcna124326

If I were the GOP, I would be in a straight up panic right now. The Supreme Court pretty much did a lay up for the Democrats next year.

Fuck around with women and try to take away our basic fundamental right to have autonomy over our own bodies and health and find out.

Of course they could always try to take away our right to vote. The way things are today I'm sure that's a subject that might actually be brought up in the backrooms where these guys (and some women too) congregate.

2. For all the doom and gloom theories out there, the key point they're missing is what is happening in elections since the dreaded night in November 2016. Republicans are continuing to lose over and over again. They have no platform. Trump has no platform other than whatever nonsense he's babbling. He lost big in 2020, he'll lose bigger in 2024 (if he is actually the nominee). People are not going to vote for a convicted felon. Biden doesn't need to spark excitement because there's enough excitement sparked to keep Trump out of the White House. Consider Biden the luckiest candidate ever.

A historic pandemic and partial shutdown of an otherwise healthy economy during his third run for president supports your luck theory. Being in the right place at the right time, w/ very limited time spent on the campaign trail.

All that jazz coming together for the guy after 45+ years in the swamp.

A historic pandemic and partial shutdown of an otherwise healthy economy during his third run for president supports your luck theory. Being in the right place at the right time, w/ very limited time spent on the campaign trail.

All that jazz coming together for the guy after 45+ years in the swamp.

I think the swamp is preferable compared to the dumpster that the GOP is currently burning in.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia announced Thursday that he won't seek reelection in 2024, giving Republicans a prime opportunity to pick up a seat in the heavily GOP state.

Back
Top Bottom