US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NBC News

Former Vice President Mike Pence suspended his 2024 presidential campaign Saturday, with his campaign running low on money and the Republican Party moving in a different direction than the longtime Indiana conservative.

He made the unexpected announcement at the annual Republican Jewish Coalition convention in Las Vegas.

NBC News

Former Vice President Mike Pence suspended his 2024 presidential campaign Saturday, with his campaign running low on money and the Republican Party moving in a different direction than the longtime Indiana conservative.

He made the unexpected announcement at the annual Republican Jewish Coalition convention in Las Vegas.

And a congressman named Dean Phillips is in.

Hundreds storm airport in Russia in antisemitic riot over arrival of plane from Israel
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/crowd-...-protest-flight-from-israel-antisemitic-riot/

....Authorities closed the airport in Makhachkala, the capital of the predominantly Muslim region, and police converged on the facility. Dagestan's Ministry of Health said more than 20 people were injured, with two in critical condition. It said the injured included police officers and civilians.

Video on social media showed some in the crowd waving Palestinian flags and others trying to overturn a police car. Antisemitic slogans can be heard being shouted and some in the crowd examined the passports of arriving passengers, apparently in an attempt to identify those who were Israeli.

"The United States vigorously condemns the antisemitic protests in Dagestan, Russia," National Security Council spokesperson Adrienne Watson said in a statement. "The United States unequivocally stands with the entire Jewish community as we witness a worldwide surge in antisemitism. There is never any excuse or justification for antisemitism."

The whole thing is a big, bad deal. All of our U.S. forces in the region or surging in there are getting closer to being drawn into a bigger fight.

After what happened on October 7 in southern Israel (and now it's 3 weeks later), the current U.S. position is still the right one.

The hostage situation speaks for itself :heart:

This isnt surprising to me and I expect it to get worse.

I think there are many things to criticize about Israel’s response, but it’s feeling — online at least — as if any response is now “genocide.”

Release the hostages and ceasefire.

Like this (if it’s verified to be true)

https://x.com/justinahorwitz/status/1719061791093715171?s=46&t=7qdYZNgiKjw76N1iFrMMAw

She represents a large community in Michigan that potentially could tip the balance to Trump in 2024

I don’t get her digging in here. Aside from Joe’s “other team” gaffe, i feel he has spoken and acted as well as any President has or can in this horrible situation

He has come out supporting our alliance with Israel and their right to fight terrorism AND Palestinian human rights and humanity.

He’s brokered humanitarian aid and done all he can to try and talk Bibi from falling into a trap plus endless war.

If Israel goal was complete genocide of Palestine, they could accomplish it at any time. That being said, their disregard for some of their basic human rights and survival has been abhorrent many times.

https://x.com/justinahorwitz/status/1719061791093715171?s=46&t=7qdYZNgiKjw76N1iFrMMAw

I don’t get her digging in here. Aside from Joe’s “other team” gaffe, i feel he has spoken and acted as well as any President has or can in this horrible situation.

Tlaib isn't the most famous member of 'the Squad.' She might be the most controversial one of the bunch, though. Quite an accomplishment.

I agree the president has set the right tone so far in this latest war.

She represents a large community in Michigan that potentially could tip the balance to Trump in 2024

I don’t get her digging in here. Aside from Joe’s “other team” gaffe, i feel he has spoken and acted as well as any President has or can in this horrible situation

He has come out supporting our alliance with Israel and their right to fight terrorism AND Palestinian human rights and humanity.

He’s brokered humanitarian aid and done all he can to try and talk Bibi from falling into a trap plus endless war.

If Israel goal was complete genocide of Palestine, they could accomplish it at any time. That being said, their disregard for some of their basic human rights and survival has been abhorrent many times.
The idea that she'd be doing the people she's trying to defend any favors by not voting for Biden in 2024 is an absolute joke.

Found this article to be well written and presents the mess we are in and defined currently by extremists on both sides.

Hamas massacres Jews, which in turn leads to more hard right politicians gaining power and showing no disregard for human life in their revenge.

This taken from the article also is depressing and shows a sickness in our country. Loss of any morality

I’m astonished by a survey finding that 51 percent of American 18- to 24-year-olds say that Hamas’s killings could be justified. Have they seen the butchery committed by Hamas?

https://x.com/nickkristof/status/1719853830324830341?s=46&t=7qdYZNgiKjw76N1iFrMMAw

US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

It feels awful to say things like this, because the end result is the same, I guess, but I do draw a distinction between civilians dying in an air strike vs putting a baby in an oven and raping the mother while the baby cooks, and then setting her on fire. That isn’t what decolonization looks like.

I see no end to this.

It feels awful to say things like this, because the end result is the same, I guess, but I do draw a distinction between civilians dying in an air strike vs putting a baby in an oven and raping the mother while the baby cooks, and then setting her on fire. That isn’t what decolonization looks like.

I see no end to this.

I don’t believe there really is an end either, other than destruction for that region.

Extremists have the power and doesn’t appear like there’s any chance for centrist / middle ground to come back. Palestinians have no real ability to purge Hamas, and Israelis have their own religious extremists in charge.

I’m also not sure how the US doesn’t find itself fully involved if/when a larger war breaks out.

And we’re fucking fucked if something like that happens. Cause it’ll mean a very strong likelihood of Trump, even if he’s in a orange jumpsuit. America is that dumb to elect him

That's horrific beyond any words. Might be coming to the US soon given the anti Semitism that seems to exist in many people here these days.

World is devolving so badly, I'm not an end of days sort of person but it's sure feeling like it.

BEAL, the article you posted by Mr. Kristof is a very good one.

Extremists have the power and doesn’t appear like there’s any chance for centrist / middle ground to come back. Palestinians have no real ability to purge Hamas, and Israelis have their own religious extremists in charge.

Imo, there is near Zero Equivalency between the Hamas government and the Israeli government.

Like Irvine said, though, the end result of all this continues to be the same. Too many generations of it.

Correct, and i didn’t mean to equate the two sides as exactly the same.

Hamas is pure evil.

What the IDF is doing with bombing the shit out of Gaza with giving little regard to innocent life is not the same as what Hamas unleashed on innocent Israeli lives.

There has to be some middle ground in Israel response. You seek out to destroy Hamas (the best you can destroy an belief system), but to me the international community needs to come down harder on Qatar.

Pressure from politics and government to weaken Hamas vs blowing shit up.

But it won’t stop the hatred and violence against Jews

Why are we comparing the two?

Can’t it be enough to condemn maniacal evil and coincidences evil entirely I
independently?

Why are we comparing the two?

Can’t it be enough to condemn maniacal evil and coincidences evil entirely I
independently?

Guess i was trying to say you have extremists in charge on either side and neither is going to give up ground. It only creates more violence

Now would be a good time for the extraterrestrial beings to emerge from the skies and take over reigns.

Sorry, just been listening to 90% UFO podcasts and 5% news podcasts…

….
…. And the remaining 5% saved for pro wrestling podcasts.

The truth is out there.

Now would be a good time for the extraterrestrial beings to emerge from the skies and take over reigns.

Sorry, just been listening to 90% UFO podcasts and 5% news podcasts…

….
…. And the remaining 5% saved for pro wrestling podcasts.

The truth is out there.

well said, brother.

Back
Top Bottom