Update: Dockers Pub: The Current State of a Piece of U2 History*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/u2ireland/dockers-thmb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Cristy Sturgess

The Dockers pub located at 4-6 Sir John Rogerson's Quay in Dublin, frequented by both U2 and their fans, has closed. It opened 150 years ago, taking its name from the bustling trade along the nearby docks. CB Richard Ellis Gunne put up the pub for sale for €3 million. Planning permission for the site incorporates a public house of 450 sq m (4,844 sq ft), six two-bedroom apartments, retail space of 224 sq m (2,411 sq ft) and 174 sq m (1,873 sq ft) of office accommodation. The area in which Dockers is located, the southern docklands, is going through major commercial and residential development.

Of the pub, owner Christy Murphy recently told The Irish Times: "The Dockers is a strange pub. We get very little local trade as such, apart from maybe the local offices for lunch. Most of our business comes from tourists to the nearby Windmill Lane studios. Bono and the boys come here a lot. We always seem to get a great deal of well-known faces in here. For example, Robert Redford was here, as was Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Naomi Campbell and Liam Neeson. TV and film people always seem to stop by."

dockers.jpg

The building is currently closed to the public. A notice on the building states that a planning permission has been applied for the future pub, apartments, retail and office space. U2 fans will have to wait patiently to see if the site will reopen as Dockers.

Thank you, Chris, for an update on an unofficial piece of U2 history. :wink:

The Dockers club has been infamous to those of us who have followed u2 for a long time and hav had the privilege of walking into its hallowed doors.:laugh:

This is a very sad occurence and hopefully some miracle can reopen the bar. It would be a shame to see it go.

At least more people know about what is happening to Dockers so maybe we can UNITE TO SAVE IT!:up:

It's worth a try....:hug:

Yeah I know...when I got asked to do this assignment I didn't even KNOW lol...but once I found out it really saddened me because it was a wonderful place...but I really hope that it does reopen as Dockers pub :)

Sorry to say this folks but it looks highly unlikely that it will reopen as a pub.
I am in touch with Martin who was the bar manager and as far as he is aware its going to be all apartments!!:sad:

We have had many good times in that pub and met loads of great people, when we go back in a few weeks we will be lost!! :sad:

I was there last month and had a chat with the manager. He said they were up for sale, but the building won't be demolished to make way for a new development. It was up for sale a couple of years back, but they didn't have any decent offers so they took it off the market. I'm not surprised that it's closed - he told me it was going back on the market, and the day before I left dublin, I went down there for a drink, and it was all shut up with metal shutters :down:

He agreed with me that it would be a shame if it got turned into a wine bar or something....and he also told me that in the 2 years he had worked at the place, he had never seen bono come in. He also didn't know who Macphisto was - I had to explain :D

LOL

Yeah I knew Martin. He let me pour a few pints occationally.

That would totally suck :( Especially for the fans that never had the chance to go in there and experience it.

Dockers is a great pub, I've been there many times over the years. Lots of things in the area are being torn down, but hopefully Dockers can make it. If not, perhaps it can be moved to a new location. It would not be the same of course. Great Pints and Great people! I always had a good time there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom