U2's Performance on "America: A Tribute To Heroes"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I just downloaded it from Kazza after not seeing it since Sept. 2001.

Apart from immediately bringing me back to the feeling of the night I watched the broadcast, it's an incredible performance from them...it actually gives me goosebumps and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, just like the first time I saw the video for "Pride" in 1985.

A few things:
Dave Stewart on rhthym guitar.
Natalie Imbruglia, and 2 others, one of whom might be Morleigh (?) on backing vocals.

Bono looks incredible. No glasses, no nonsense. Incredibly emotional.

Question:
At the end of the halleleujiah's, he says "See you when I get home sister". Is that something that someone on one of the hijacked planes said via cell phone to someone, or was he talking to Ali, or what?

JOFO said:

Question:
At the end of the halleleujiah's, he says "See you when I get home sister". Is that something that someone on one of the hijacked planes said via cell phone to someone, or was he talking to Ali, or what?

Maybe directed to his daughters? I think he made similar references to 'sisters' at one of the POP shows I went to.

That is really a great performance, so moving.

JOFO said:
A few things:
Dave Stewart on rhthym guitar.
Natalie Imbruglia, and 2 others, one of whom might be Morleigh (?) on backing vocals.

Dave Stewart was great to see. For a while there I thought it was Ringo. :reject:

Natalie Imbruglia? Can someone fill me in on her?

By the way, THIS is the BEST version of Walk On.

IMO he was talking to Ali when he said see you when I get home sister. :love:
That was an incredible performance! :yes:

Yup, incredible performance.

I don't think the "see you when I get home, sister" has anything to do with Ali.

What I always took this was "see you when I get home"--looking at "home" as being heaven. That the people who lost loved ones will see them again when they also go home to heaven.

Last edited:
I remember watching this performance live at my girlfriends house in her living room. As soon as they went in "Peace on Earth" (which I'm not a big fan of) I started to get really emotional. Then Bono said "Hello from London" then "Walk On" intro started and I just started getting really teary eyed. U2 help me see some light out of those dark times for the US. I will always remember ATYCLB for the post 9/11 album.

That was a fantastic performence by all of them for Walk On. It becmae my fav version, too!!!

I also love the way Edge's voice weaves around Bono's there.
And the change in the Halleluia's to "Halle, Halle...Halle, Halleluia! which I find more powerful than original version.

I haven't seen the performance siicne that night, but my sis has the CD, so I taped it for myself.

Control -- I thought the same thing, telling his brothers and sisters [in the larger humanity sense] that he will see them when he gets to home [Heaven].

Back
Top Bottom