U2 Vertigo Tour - Postponed (General Discussion/Info)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree with OceanGirl. Sounds like someone just wasn't doing their job properly. When the time is right than we will be let known what they want us to know. As for discussing their private lives I believe that a high amount of respect has been held for that so far.

Aaaaaaah, ok! I thought i won't have to do a post like that....:

1. I really can understand that fans (especially in Australia - who have a long way to Sydney) are, hmmmm, a little upset with the fact that they won't get a concert soon....

but

2. I can't understand at all how some are reacting.

I've got the news the same time everyone else in here got it and the first thing I thougth was: Gosh, no!!! NOT because the tour had been postponed but about the fact that someone of their loved once is ill! The boys know that it is problematic to postpone the last step (not just because of the money-fact) .... So they definetly didn't make it easy to make this decission but it is SO understandable....
I am always shocked (and can't quite understand it) that some of the fans are just thinking about the money and the fact that they can't see U2. I have to admit that I don't have a tic, but if so.... I still just would think about the personal problems of them... It's MORE important that they can sort their private live out.....

I hope that everything is going to be ok for them.....!!!

(and that fans (I know that not everybody is reacting this way) are going to think about it! Thanks)

Shag On A Rock said:
Is there anyway we can have two threads about this topic please? One for people to talk about logistics, who's still going where, etc. And another thread for people to talk about bands private life. I really don't want to read it.

Actually, I've noticed there aren't many people directly effected by the tour postponement in this thread. If anyone who was planning on travelling to see shows in Sydney would like to contact me off line I'd appreciate it. I'm still going over and I'd like to catch up with the remaining people who are going forward with their trip.

My email is belilindt [at] gmail {dot} com.

Thanks.

Wow, what a cold hearted bastard...

Well, if you noted that, this thread is called "U2 Vertigo Tour - Postponed (General Discussion/Info)" and here is supposed to be the general info about the reasons of the tour cancelling, in this case, apparently, the illnes of Edge's daughter. If you are still worried about your tripping and touristing, you are free to open a new thread or ask for, which can be called "I'm still going to Australia and Hawai, who's going with me?" or "tripping to Australia do cares me more than life of a girl" or whatever you want. Or simply go to the actual thread:
"Airlines/Hotels that Care, and Airlines/Hotels that don't - Postponement Thread"

that's all I wanted to say and lets hope that Edge's daughter is Ok or that he has the force and supporting to go through this terrible moment.

There is no way in hell that some paper in Wagga would be told about a death when every major u2 site knows nothing about it. Its rubbish.

The amount of trash that has come from Australian journalists in the past 4 days is astounding.

yep...knew it was a bunch of BS... there is no way that has any grain of truth in it.. As someone else mentioned Bono would not be in Sydney right now...No way in hell.. He would be there by Edge's side..

perrolobo said:

This is getting utterly retarded.
I think what Beli was saying is that she doesn't want to read all of the crazy speculation that has been posted in this thread about things that are none of her business.

Damn this new age technology of the internet. So many people feel that they have to have all the information right now. Patience is a thing of the past.

perrolobo said:

That kind of editorial observation is completely uncalled for and I would kindly ask that you please do not refer to anyone in such a manner.

I know we're ALL on pins and needles, but again, let's exercise a bit of thought before replying to posts.

I don't know about anybody else, but all the happenings of the last few days have sent me on a soulsearching trip, thrown me in to self evaluating mode, made me think about myself, my life and what I think is important, have a serious look at it all, how or whatever you wanna call it.

Last edited:
Miringeltje said:
I don't know about anybody else, but all the happenings of the last few days have definitely sent me on a soulsearching trip, in to self evaluating mode, made me think about myself, my life and what's important, have a serious look at it all, how or whatever you wanna call it.
yea I have that feeling too... isn't it strange that something that happens so far away from you, where you totally have nothing to deal with can affect you so badly? It's a strange thing..
I'm more or less, with every decision I make, I double guess it... would it really be worth it.. that kinda stuff...

Long time lurker here but this is my first post. Sure wish it was under better circumstances. My thoughts and prayers go out to the band. They have seen me through plenty of hard times in the last 24 years. My prayer for them is hope, something they have given me more times than I can count.

Miringeltje said:
I don't know about anybody else, but all the happenings of the last few days have sent me on a soulsearching trip, thrown me in to self evaluating mode, made me think about myself, my life and what I think is important, have a serious look at it all, how or whatever you wanna call it.

It does all throw the wrench into the 'normal course' of things, doesn't it?
I've appreciated the scent of my little girl a little bit more the last couple of days. I've found a way to be more patient with her when I'm ready for some "me" time but she still needs me (hubby is away, in africa actually...an emergency trip to visit his brother there, and the parenting alone can get hectic!).
I would have been about to have another baby right about this weekend if I hadn't had a miscarriage and instead of being all depressed and angry about it particularly now, I'm feeling grateful for my two little ones, growing up too fast, and for the time I've gotten to be with them.
Our vulnerabilities are highlighted...let's all be loving with each other...
cheers...

Miroslava said:

That kind of editorial observation is completely uncalled for and I would kindly ask that you please do not refer to anyone in such a manner.

I know we're ALL on pins and needles, but again, let's exercise a bit of thought before replying to posts.

I apologize to you and to whoever could be affected. I couldn't control myself. However, she was right clear she doesn't care about the personal life of the members of the band and she was worried about her trip to Australia. That should be enough to ask yourself what kind of person do you are...

Life have priorities and no one should lose them. That's all I will say and a apologize again for my language, but not for my thoughts.

IT was Bono's lazy Sydney afternoon.

The rock superstar took advantage of one of the city's most exclusive harbourside homes to play dad with a brood of children, although the balcony wasn't an ideal playground.

Dressed in his trademark sunglasses at 1pm, he spent a quiet day yesterday relaxing with his family.

Bono and his wife, Ali Hewson, have rented the luxurious harbourside mansion Altona for a family holiday.

And having enjoyed the delights of the harbour last week, the singer spent much of his time indoors yesterday, still taking stock of the shock postponement of U2's Australian tour.

Bono had arrived in Sydney for a short break ahead of concert performances scheduled for New Zealand, Australia and then Japan.

But the sudden postponement of the tour last week has left the U2 camp reeling - let alone the tens of thousands of fans who had bought tickets.

It is believed the decision was taken because the band's guitarist, the Edge, has a seriously ill child.

U2 is yet to confirm speculation about which band member was unable to complete the tour. The two Sydney shows, scheduled for March 31 and April 1, may go ahead later in the year.

Bono and Ali enjoyed the luxury of Altona with their sons Elijah, 6, and John, 4. His daughters Eve, 14, and Jordan, 16, are also believed to be in Australia.

The family were visited by friends with young children. Bono's children played near the pool and boathouse, even jumping on a trampoline, as their mother kept a watchful eye.

Although the singer was relaxing, he is expected to explain some of the personal reasons behind the U2 postponement when he gives an interview to ABC presenter Andrew Denton tomorrow night.

An ABC spokeswoman confirmed the interview was due to be recorded this weekend, but without a studio audience.

At this stage, the band plans to honour the Vertigo tour commitment, but management has remained tight-lipped about timing.

Late yesterday, Bono and his Australian promoter Michael Coppel emerged from Altona before Mr Coppel announced the future of the Vertigo tour would be revealed on Tuesday.

Fair Trading Minister Diane Beamer advised U2 ticketholders: "Hang on to your tickets. However, if you do want your money back, then, in the first instance, you should go back to the seller."

A spokesman for eBay, Daniel Feiler, said fans who bought their tickets on the auction site should also go back to the seller for a refund.

The site also has buyer consumer protection policies that cover items valued up to $1500.

The promoters have contacted the major airlines to waive fees for fans who made non-refundable airline and accommodation bookings. Qantas and Virgin Blue passengers who want to transfer fares should contact the airlines by tomorrow.

When the tickets went on sale the shows were an instant sell-out.

But many fans were still coming to grips with the postponement yesterday, with website messages expressing concern for the Edge and his family.

Bono is expected to remain in Sydney for at least the next few days.

Despite his role as a political lobbyist - away from his rockstar duties - he is yet to arrange a meeting with Prime Minister John Howard.

U2's Bono plays protector on a beautiful day

bono_wideweb__470x3290.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/bonos-sydney-sojourn/2006/03/11/1141701733132.html

Last edited:
Shag On A Rock said:
Is there anyway we can have two threads about this topic please? One for people to talk about logistics, who's still going where, etc. And another thread for people to talk about bands private life. I really don't want to read it.

Actually, I've noticed there aren't many people directly effected by the tour postponement in this thread. If anyone who was planning on travelling to see shows in Sydney would like to contact me off line I'd appreciate it. I'm still going over and I'd like to catch up with the remaining people who are going forward with their trip.

My email is belilindt [at] gmail {dot} com.

Thanks.

I agree. A couple of days ago I made a similar suggestion that people who were directly affected by the tour cancelation post in the tour postponement thread, and the ones who wanted to express their sympathy etc., could post in the Good Vibes/Prayers thread in ETYKIW. It just seemed like a good way to allow everyone to discuss what was important to them without being attacked. Apparently that thread went away though.

But I still think it's a good idea and may help prevent some of the "heartless bastard" comments.

Of course all you "HB's" are in pretty good company 'cause I notice Bono and his family are still enjoying their vacation. :wink:

**Hope you have a great time in Sydney Beli. :)

indra said:

I agree. A couple of days ago I made a similar suggestion that people who were directly affected by the tour cancelation post in the tour postponement thread, and the ones who wanted to express their sympathy etc., could post in the Good Vibes/Prayers thread in ETYKIW. It just seemed like a good way to allow everyone to discuss what was important to them without being attacked. Apparently that thread went away though.
:)
It didn't go away, it's still on the first page of that forum.
http://forum.interference.com/t156006.html

neutral said:

It didn't go away, it's still on the first page of that forum.
http://forum.interference.com/t156006.html

Sorry for not being more clear...what I was referring to that went away was the thread I initially suggested that people wanting to post emotions and sympathy ect. could post in the Good Vibes thread and those wanting to discuss "Ack! What do I do now!" etc, could post in here. I posted it in the Part 2 thread which went away.

perrolobo said:
I apologize to you and to whoever could be affected. I couldn't control myself. However, she was right clear she doesn't care about the personal life of the members of the band and she was worried about her trip to Australia. That should be enough to ask yourself what kind of person do you are...

Life have priorities and no one should lose them. That's all I will say and a apologize again for my language, but not for my thoughts.

I find the lack of empathy that some people on this board have shocking.
It seems they are only concerned about the well-being of a direct family member of the band, but they seem to have a 'screw-you' attitude about others who have now encountered problems. And in these times, they also need the support of fellow fans. Yet, you refuse to even consider that. :tsk:

The remaining dates of this tour have been postponed because of a severe illness of direct family of the band. Of course everyone is concerned about this person's health. That's a given here.
But it also has changed the lives of others. And it has big consequences for some. Not just some money and the hassle of trying to reschedule flights (or getting your money back from it), but also work, dreams and life. Arms had sometimes to be twisted to even be able to see one Vertigo concert and that opportunity has now gone away.

If you had at least taken the courtesy of following the discussion in this thread (and the first one), you'd have noticed the amount of work Beli had to do to even get to go to Sydney. This included getting a replacement for her. Now, if she maybe had been in a position to cancel the whole trip, this would also have meant that a person would've been without a job because of this postponement.
So this is more than just being worried about a trip to the concert (and in the case of the person you were picking on, it isn't a trip to Australia, it is a trip within Australia to the nearest concert which is still 4000+ kilometers away!), this is about life too.

It seems that many people here who are picking on those letting of steam because of the postponements are those in Europe and the USA who have already seen the Vertigo Tour. Or the Elevation Tour. U2 hasn't toured Australia for 8 years. If you hadn't been able to attend a Popmart concert, the last concert in Australia was even 12 1/2 years ago. So these concerts were probably your only chance of seeing U2 in your lifetime. And now that chance may have been gone. Furthermore, they're only playing the east coast of Australia, not the west coast. So if you're unlucky to live there, you'll have to cross the entire continent to get to the nearest city they're playing (to translate this in US terms, imagine U2 only playing Seatlle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego if you're living on the east coast or them only playing Boston, New York, Washington, Miami if you're living on the west coast).
Maybe to get a better understanding of everyones background here it might be an idea to post how many Elevation and Vertigo concerts you've seen, just to remind yourself how the situation might be for those who have seen none...

By slamming others who have seen their lifes taken a bad turn while only focusing on the illness that caused the band to postpone the remaining tour dates, it seems to me many are only trying to show off their fandom, how big a fan they are.
This is not just about the band. Or just about those who've seen their dreams fallen apart. This has a big effect on us all.

Martijn
(oops, almost forgot that idea myself...
I have seen 6 Elevation and 10 Vertigo concerts so I can't probably imagine even close to what the people in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii are feeling)

Last edited:
Of course all you "HB's" are in pretty good company 'cause I notice Bono and his family are still enjoying their vacation.

:lmao:

This has a big effect on us all.

Yes, it certainly does. I just wish we could all come together and support each other and the band during this difficult time instead of the negativity.

Empathy is a good thing. :)

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

I find the lack of empathy that some people on this board have shocking.
It seems they are only concerned about the well-being of a direct family member of the band, but they seem to have a 'screw-you' attitude about others who have now encountered problems. And in these times, they also need the support of fellow fans. Yet, you refuse to even consider that. :tsk:

The remaining dates of this tour have been postponed because of a severe illness of direct family of the band. Of course everyone is concerned about this person's health. That's a given here.
But it also has changed the lives of others. And it has big consequences for some. Not just some money and the hassle of trying to reschedule flights (or getting your money back from it), but also work, dreams and life. Arms had sometimes to be twisted to even be able to see one Vertigo concert and that opportunity has now gone away.

If you had at least taken the courtesy of following the discussion in this thread (and the first one), you'd have noticed the amount of work Beli had to do to even get to go to Sydney. This included getting a replacement for her. Now, if she maybe had been in a position to cancel the whole trip, this would also have meant that a person would've been without a job because of this postponement.
So this is more than just being worried about a trip to the concert (and in the case of the person you were picking on, it isn't a trip to Australia, it is a trip within Australia to the nearest concert which is still 4000+ kilometers away!), this is about life too.

It seems that many people here who are picking on those letting of steam because of the postponements are those in Europe and the USA who have already seen the Vertigo Tour. Or the Elevation Tour. U2 hasn't toured Australia for 8 years. If you hadn't been able to attend a Popmart concert, the last concert in Australia was even 12 1/2 years ago. So these concerts were probably your only chance of seeing U2 in your lifetime. And now that chance may have been gone. Furthermore, they're only playing the east coast of Australia, not the west coast. So if you're unlucky to live there, you'll have to cross the entire continent to get to the nearest city they're playing (to translate this in US terms, imagine U2 only playing Seatlle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego if you're living on the east coast or them only playing Boston, New York, Washington, Miami if you're living on the west coast).
Maybe to get a better understanding of everyones background here it might be an idea to post how many Elevation and Vertigo concerts you've seen, just to remind yourself how the situation might be for those who have seen none...

By slamming others who have seen their lifes taken a bad turn while only focusing on the illness that caused the band to postpone the remaining tour dates, it seems to me many are only trying to show off their fandom, how big a fan they are.
This is not just about the band. Or just about those who've seen their dreams fallen apart. This has a big effect on us all.

Martijn
(oops, almost forgot that idea myself...
I have seen 6 Elevation and 10 Vertigo concerts so I can't probably imagine even close to what the people in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii are feeling)

Very well said

indra said:

Sorry for not being more clear...what I was referring to that went away was the thread I initially suggested that people wanting to post emotions and sympathy ect. could post in the Good Vibes thread and those wanting to discuss "Ack! What do I do now!" etc, could post in here. I posted it in the Part 2 thread which went away.

oh, okay, sorry 'bout that. :)

Back
Top Bottom