U2 Still has a great album in them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea... Obviously everything went wrong with the Innocence release. One single decision - allow people to download it themselves (like Invisible) vs pushing it to automatically to people's libraries made all the difference.

I only disagree with anyone who thinks the album would have been an All That You Can't Leave Behind type rebound if not for the Apple debacle. I think it would have been closer to, say, Wrecking Ball. A nice, generally well received album that doesn't really move the needle much outside of the first week or so, and is largely forgotten by everyone outside of the core fan base.

The major issue was the damage done to their legacy. They became a punch line to anyone under the age of 30. Instead of sliding gracefully into life as elder statesmen of rock, they became a running joke that they've never really recovered from.

I disagree with the Wrecking Ball analogy to an extent. In 2014 U2 was already a band for an older crowd, but they still had more crossover demographic appeal than Bruce did at the time of his album. There’s a variety of styles on there and they still had songs on radio stations like KROQ.

I think you’re underestimating the energy and accessibility many of the tracks compared to No Line. Just because Boots shat the bed doesn’t mean there wasn’t a possibility of a decent-sized comeback, if not on the level of ATYCLB. Lot of room inbetween.

City of Blinding lights is absolutely the “intro song to _____” for whatever event going on. It’s a song that people don’t know is U2 and don’t know the name of, but some people generally know the song.

It’s not Beautiful Day and it’s not Vertigo, but it’s definitely a highly relevant post-2000 tune that has staying power.

That's a great point. COBL has absolutely stayed around and is viewed as a great, energetic, uplifting and inspirational song by many. U2 and non U2 fans alike.

I saw your point in action last September. I was visiting Manhattan and eat at the same place 2 nights in a row. It was slow, so I had a lot of conversation with the bartender. She was 26 and we were going on about music. I forget how U2 even came up, but as soon as I mentioned them, she LIT UP and was like " I LOVE U2!" I don't think I've heard someone under 30 say that since 2006. Of course, I immediately asked her what her favorite songs were to test her legitimacy as a fan. Lol.

She thought about it, then said "sunday bloody sunday," "with or without you," "who's gonna ride your wild horses," and "beautiful day." I shared some of my favorites then mentioned COBL. She kind of gave me a blank stare and said "if I heard it, I'd probably know it." I pulled it up on youtube, handed her my phone and within 3 seconds she says "oh, of course, this is an AMAZING song, just didn't know the name of it."

So there's the public consciousness piece. Just as a song, quality, I always loved it, but in my personal rankings, it has gone from just under top tier U2 almost into classic level. To me, it's almost like Pride in how it contains every single element of U2 in a few minutes. The soaring vocals. Chiming guitar. The passion and energy. Throbbing drums and bass.

In addition to the uplifting message, it also reflects on the innocence and experience narrative that's been out there since the band's early days. With the same level of energy in parts- the riffs coming out of the bridge when Bono is screaming "time, time" into that last verse is straight early U2 electric energy.

My opinion on it has also been cemented by live performances. It will always have a special place in my heart since it was the first song I saw U2 do live (Vertigo Tour). It was performed extremely well on 360, but I don't remember it bringing the house down or being a highlight. Innocence was a whole different story. It hit hard, energetically and emotionally, all 5 times I saw it on that tour.

I would go as far as to say COBL was the ABSOLUTE high point of the one E&I show I saw. Yes, Acrobat was amazing. As was staring at the sun into Pride (even though Pride fell off after the intro, the message was poignant). However, in the absence of Streets and a bunch of other staples, COBL carried the emotional weight. It did so almost alone, whereas the previous Innocence shows had Streets, MOS/Bad, 40, Raised by Wolves, Invisible, the list goes on.

I was shocked at how moved I was by the whole performance- seeing Sian appearing from behind the buildings on the Boston skyline as the band played. It was the only moment that night that reached that spine tingling, hair raising, band, crowd and city as one level that we've all seen at U2 shows.

I think COBL was somehow re energized and given new meaning by the "Songs of" era. Like I said, I was happy to hear it but get the sense I wouldn't have missed it on 360. After seeing it on I&E, the absence was very noticeable on JT 30. Same for its presence on E&I.

Last edited:
I think the main reason why nobody can identify City of Blinding Lights is because they mistake the name with that Australian guy.

COBL is a great song. Period. I like the notion of blessings not just for the ones who kneel. Bono’s lyrics have gone to the shit a fair bit over the years. Little things like this are a reminder of his powers. This song also has some huge Edge moments in it, again a reminder of what he is capable of.

I was referring to,
See the world in green and blue
See China right in front of you
See the canyons broken by cloud
See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out
See the Bedouin fires at night
See the oil fields at first light and
See the bird with a leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colors came out

Pitchfork would have a field day if this were on an album this past decade.
What specifically is the matter with these lyrics that Pitchfork (does anyone care about Pitchfork anymore?) would dislike them?

Yikes, I had no idea that COBL won Best Rock song at 2005 Grammy's. (Vertigo won it in 2004)

And the only song from them in that category that they have been nominated for after that was...

oh god...

I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight :|:huh:

What the fuck actually possessed them to write and record I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight?

I still can't believe that Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite let Crazy, Stand Up, and Unknown Caller (in the state it was in... I believe there may be a decent song in there somewhere...) out the door. Just mind-boggling.

it may be an unpopular opinion but i kinda like the 360 tour remix version. it could have been a neat song if they had pursued that kind of sound in the studio, rather than going 110% for the radio hit version.

it may be an unpopular opinion but i kinda like the 360 tour remix version. it could have been a neat song if they had pursued that kind of sound in the studio, rather than going 110% for the radio hit version.

It was fun to experience it live, not sure about listening to a recorded version of it. Though couldn't be worse than the album version.

The beach clip of Diorama did sound awesome, but you just can’t tell. Some here thought The Troubles was a rock song after that beach clip leaked

To be fair Springsteen was trying for a hit album on Wrecking Ball and was upset that it didn't. The difference in his reaction, though, is that he realized that the time of rock music had just passed and there's nothing he could have done about it.

That's an interesting quote, but I think there's a big difference between what Springsteen was trying to accomplish (trying his hardest to make a killer and culturally relevant rock album on his own terms) and what U2 has been doing (working with a revolving door of trendy producers, having awkward guest appearances by Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga, and trying to play on singles charts that haven't been kind to rock bands since...U2). Wrecking Ball was also the capstone on a decade of bold and rewarding artistic decisions (like following up a huge, bombastic album like The Rising with a quiet, contemplative one like Devils and Dust or going off and doing something completely off the path like The Seeger Sessions), so I don't think it alone tells the story of Springsteen's later career, which has been pretty rosy overall (and it's also a really great album, which helps).

Then again, my assessment of U2 doesn't really cover it all either, since Paul McCartney has also worked with a bunch of producers lately (including Ryan Tedder) and had his own "Hello Fellow Kids" moments (including a hit single with Rihanna and Kanye West), and I still think his work over the last twenty years has been a lot more vital and inspired than U2's (and he's pushing 80!). (Okay, I've got a plan to save the band, but one of the lads is going to have to marry an amputee, don't ask questions.)

At any rate, we can all agree that rock is dead as a force in the mainstream, so if they try to make anything for a mainstream audience, they're making it for an imaginary one. If they ever want to touch greatness again, they're going to have to dig deep, find some inspiration, and cut it on their own terms and without a list of producers, mixers, and engineers that looks like the special effects credits on an Avengers movie.

It's weird to think back to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which wasn't a brilliant album but had a lot of great moments, and think about how it seemed like they had so much gas left in the tank. I felt (and still feel) that No Line was so close to greatness some how. I guess there are worse things than to become really really painfully mediocre. I'm glad I checked out of this band when they did a Spiderman musical lololol.

Last edited:
What the fuck actually possessed them to write and record I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight?
God only knows. I'll defend U2 to anyone, but that is the one track that embarrasses me as a fan. Just horrendous. They stooped lower than Bon Jovi on that one, and that's about the worst insult I can throw at any musical group.

They didn't want to go crazy?
tenor.gif

That's an interesting quote, but I think there's a big difference between what Springsteen was trying to accomplish (trying his hardest to make a killer and culturally relevant rock album on his own terms) and what U2 has been doing (working with a revolving door of trendy producers, having awkward guest appearances by Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga, and trying to play on singles charts that haven't been kind to rock bands since...U2). Wrecking Ball was also the capstone on a decade of bold and rewarding artistic decisions (like following up a huge, bombastic album like The Rising with a quiet, contemplative one like Devils and Dust or going off and doing something completely off the path like The Seeger Sessions), so I don't think it alone tells the story of Springsteen's later career, which has been pretty rosy overall (and it's also a really great album, which helps).

Then again, my assessment of U2 doesn't really cover it all either, since Paul McCartney has also worked with a bunch of producers lately (including Ryan Tedder) and had his own "Hello Fellow Kids" moments (including a hit single with Rihanna and Kanye West), and I still think his work over the last twenty years has been a lot more vital and inspired than U2's (and he's pushing 80!). (Okay, I've got a plan to save the band, but one of the lads is going to have to marry an amputee, don't ask questions.)

At any rate, we can all agree that rock is dead as a force in the mainstream, so if they try to make anything for a mainstream audience, they're making it for an imaginary one. If they ever want to touch greatness again, they're going to have to dig deep, find some inspiration, and cut it on their own terms and without a list of producers, mixers, and engineers that looks like the special effects credits on an Avengers movie.

It's weird to think back to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which wasn't a brilliant album but had a lot of great moments, and think about how it seemed like they had so much gas left in the tank. I felt (and still feel) that No Line was so close to greatness some how. I guess there are worse things than to become really really painfully mediocre. I'm glad I checked out of this band when they did a Spiderman musical lololol.
Springsteen did have a song with a rap break on Wrecking Ball that was released as a single...

Alas, my comparison and use of Wrecking Ball wasn't as a comparison to what the goal of the artist was, nor even the quality of the work. U was only using it as an example to how Innocence would have been received commercially if not for the Apple debacle - generally well received by most critics, fans and "the olds" but not making any kind of dent on the public conscious outside of the first couple of weeks after release.

And I still disagree on that main point.

It wouldn't have been exponentially bigger, but still considerably bigger.

You're still undervaluing the band's place in music culture in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom