U2 Reflect on Troubled 'Innocence' Release: 'These Songs Have Staying Power''

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no idea what PITNOL stands for, why people like so much using acronyms in cases that are not the obvious ones?

PITNOL = Pride In The Name Of Love

Those who use PITNOL use PITNOL because PITNOL is a funny, made-up word that is a ridiculous name for a U2 song.

PITNOL.

You get that PITNOL comes from:

P = Pride
I = In
T = The
N = Name
O = Of
L = Love

... right? It's not hard to see where it comes from.

What? It's an acronym in the way an acronym is an acronym. It's nothing but an acronym for the full title of the song.

I guess you're comparing it to Leo because it's another thing you don't find funny, so ..... okay.

PITNOL.

58590_422944938217_782778217_4883299_8304544_n.jpg

Thanks for explanation

but PITNOL...:huh::huh::huh:

I get it either way. But I suppose I'd go for the shorter, less confusing version of it in the end too ("Pride").

Duran Duran had a single 11 years ago called "(Reach Up for the) Sunrise," which caused some fans online to use the acronym of "RUFTS" when referencing it. Needless to say, that caused similar confusion among them at the time.

Duran Duran had a single 11 years ago called "(Reach Up for the) Sunrise," which caused some fans online to use the acronym of "RUFTS" when referencing it. Needless to say, that caused similar confusion among them at the time.

I remember hearing that song on the radio and being excited when they announced new Duran Duran was upcoming. Then I heard it :yikes:

Here is my CRAPPEDMYPANTS playlist:

California
Running to Stand Still
A Sort of Homecoming
Please
Promenade
Electric Co
Drowning Man
Mysterious Ways
Yahwah
Pride
Acrobat
Numb
Twilight
Scarlet

I know it's a bit messy and it runs all over the place (decade to decade) but it makes me feel warm inside to listen to these classics. I get that some of you think there are a couple of turds in there and that's fine...you can't make everyone happy.

I would love to hear Sr. Poop's playlist.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Here is my CRAPPEDMYPANTS playlist:

California
Running to Stand Still
A Sort of Homecoming
Please
Promenade
Electric Co
Drowning Man
Mysterious Ways
Yahwah
Pride
Acrobat
Numb
Twilight
Scarlet

I know it's a bit messy and it runs all over the place (decade to decade) but it makes me feel warm inside to listen to these classics. I get that some of you think there are a couple of turds in there and that's fine...you can't make everyone happy.

I would love to hear Sr. Poop's playlist.

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Bullet The Blue Sky
One
Love Is Blindness
Always
With Or Without You
I Fall Down
Lemon
Last Night On Earth
Kite
I'll Go Crazy, If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Love Comes Tumbling
Like A Song...
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Acrobat
Love & Peace Or Else
Lucifer's Hands

:sexywink:

Acronyms are fun

i don't get the whole "the warhorses bore me."

i'm sick of PITNOL, but i remember during my first show (Popmart at Giants Stadium) i didn't really get into the show until they played that one. and i think i got a little emotional because it was like, "oh, right, i'm at a U2 show! people have been singing this song for over a decade in stadiums throughout the world, and now i'm finally a part of that."

Right. The crowds seem to really get into E, especially the wooo wooo part even if most die hards dislike the song, especially the album version.
And old schoolers would go nuts to hear G.
General consensus is O is always a highlight and B makes every show it appears at special.
And even Pop's detractors got into M live.

Fucking hell to say that Lanois quote means that WOWY doesn't have a chorus has to be the single most infuriatingly stupid thing ever repeated on a U2 forum about a U2 song.

There is quite clearly a chorus in WOWY. Is it an "I love you and you love me" pop chorus in the traditional sense? No, but so fucking what? It's a chorus, and fucking huge anthemic one at that, that millions have sung along to over the years.

If I take his quote in a purely face value literal sense, I can also build a case for stating that WOWY has no two sections which are alike or which repeat, or, alternatively, that good ol' Danny is fucking nuts. Not only are there sections in the song which repeat themselves, repeatedly, the fucking chorus repeats itself. Repeatedly.

Maybe I'll repeat that ridiculously stupid case I've just built, a million times over.

Maybe I'll even remaster the bloody thing.

:doh:

Fucking hell to say that Lanois quote means that WOWY doesn't have a chorus has to be the single most infuriatingly stupid thing ever repeated on a U2 forum about a U2 song.

There is quite clearly a chorus in WOWY. Is it an "I love you and you love me" pop chorus in the traditional sense? No, but so fucking what? It's a chorus, and fucking huge anthemic one at that, that millions have sung along to over the years.

If I take his quote in a purely face value literal sense, I can also build a case for stating that WOWY has no two sections which are alike or which repeat, or, alternatively, that good ol' Danny is fucking nuts. Not only are there sections in the song which repeat themselves, repeatedly, the fucking chorus repeats itself. Repeatedly.

Maybe I'll repeat that ridiculously stupid case I've just built, a million times over.

Maybe I'll even remaster the bloody thing.

:doh:

Dude, unless you've saved a member of u2's life your argument has no validity.

LOL...somehow posting a quote, without comment, from the guy who produced the record, is making a "case". I think WOWY producer Daniel Lanois comment speaks for itself.

Or, put another way: WOWY Chorus Smackdown!: "THAVIDESCO & GVOX vs. DANIEL LANOIS"

Last edited:
I know people who say U2 are among their favorite bands who wouldn't know what Elvis Presley and America is, or With A shout, or Playboy mansion. Still they turn up every tour and sing along to every song.

This is the breakdown as I see it:

Intro
"See the stone set..." - 1st Verse
"With or without you, with or without you" - 1st Semi-Chorus
"Through the storm we reach..." - 2nd Verse
"With or with you, with or without you....i can't live...etc" - 1st Full length chorus
"And you give" - Bridge 1
"My hands are tied" - Bridge 2
"And you give" - Bridge 1 repeat
(although you can just call all the bridges "The Bridge")
"With or without you...etc" - 2nd full length chorus
"Oooooooo" Vocal solo
"With or Without you...etc" - 3rd full length chorus
Guitar solo outro

Verdict? There is cleary a chorus that gets repeated at least 3 times. 4 if you count the semi-chorus.

This is the breakdown as I see it:

Intro
"See the stone set..." - 1st Verse
"With or without you, with or without you" - 1st Semi-Chorus
"Through the storm we reach..." - 2nd Verse
"With or with you, with or without you....i can't live...etc" - 1st Full length chorus
"And you give" - Bridge 1
"My hands are tied" - Bridge 2
"And you give" - Bridge 1 repeat
(although you can just call all the bridges "The Bridge")
"With or without you...etc" - 2nd full length chorus
"Oooooooo" Vocal solo
"With or Without you...etc" - 3rd full length chorus
Guitar solo outro

Verdict? There is cleary a chorus that gets repeated at least 3 times. 4 if you count the semi-chorus.

This is correct. To say WOWY has no chorus at all is either being willfully ignorant, or a fucking stupid thing to say, regardless if it's said by Adam, Lanois, Guy Oseary or the fucking Pope.

Right. The crowds seem to really get into E, especially the wooo wooo part even if most die hards dislike the song, especially the album version.
And old schoolers would go nuts to hear G.
General consensus is O is always a highlight and B makes every show it appears at special.
And even Pop's detractors got into M live.

See you next Tuesday.

The best example of the dynamics between the diehards and the casual fans at a concert is when Pearl Jam plays Even Flow.

Because they book the entire floor for Ten Club members, you'll see a flood of people streaming to the pissers on the floor during Even Flow, while the bowl seats are rocking their fucking faces off.

See you next Tuesday.

The best example of the dynamics between the diehards and the casual fans at a concert is when Pearl Jam plays Even Flow.

Because they book the entire floor for Ten Club members, you'll see a flood of people streaming to the pissers on the floor during Even Flow, while the bowl seats are rocking their fucking faces off.
Which has always confounded me. McCready is likely to go all kinds of places during the solo to Evenflow, why risk missing that?

this is the breakdown as i see it:

Intro
"see the stone set..." - 1st verse
"with or without you, with or without you" - 1st semi-chorus
"through the storm we reach..." - 2nd verse
"with or with you, with or without you....i can't live...etc" - 1st full length chorus
"and you give" - bridge 1
"my hands are tied" - bridge 2
"and you give" - bridge 1 repeat
(although you can just call all the bridges "the bridge")
"with or without you...etc" - 2nd full length chorus
"oooooooo" vocal solo
"with or without you...etc" - 3rd full length chorus
guitar solo outro

verdict? There is cleary a chorus that gets repeated at least 3 times. 4 if you count the semi-chorus.

exactly

period

Because it was a popular song, it's played every other night live, etc. etc.

I understand, I've seen Pearl Jam 25 times. Its just that the song is not played the same every night, McCready changes up his solo nightly and you can miss something mind blowing while you have your member in your hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom