U2 & Macca to hit Live 8 Stage in Sgt Peppers Costumes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet they had to work really hard to talk larry into it. :lol:

It's a little cheesy, but hey - it's a once in a lifetime thing, and I bet it'll be pretty cool when it's all said and done.

corianderstem said:
I bet they had to work really hard to talk larry into it. :lol:

I always got the sense that Larry has always been the hardest one to talk into these things. Whenever I see them doing the Village People thing on Discotheque I can only imagine the rest of the band pitching the idea to Larry "So, we're going to dance like the Village People". Larry must've been going like: :eyebrow:

MrBrau1 said:
:shrug: They wore those blue costumes during the Zooropa Tour and extra gay costumes during the Popmart Tour?

Very true! LOL! And face it, this won't be any worse than emerging from a giant mirrorball lemon... :wink:

Larry's going to have to wear the Ringo Costume....

....Ringo's costume is PINK...!!! We all know what happened last time!

i fear these costumes.
hopefully bono will top it off with his crazy bandana, and swing wildly at a random drum placed at the tip of the stage, while sweating all over (i mean dancing with) a sweet, shy girl from the front row. all while doggedly, yet somehow also absent mindedly strumming on his guitar, and making up lyrics to the song on the spot.
now that would be cool.

MrBrau raises an excellent point. Lest we forget...

discotheque_179.jpg

C'mon, you can't get any worse than The Village people. LOL. I think it'll be fun... of course, we'll just have to see. *G*

BrownEyedBoy said:

I always got the sense that Larry has always been the hardest one to talk into these things. Whenever I see them doing the Village People thing on Discotheque I can only imagine the rest of the band pitching the idea to Larry "So, we're going to dance like the Village People". Larry must've been going like: :eyebrow:

Yeah I love how at the end when they're doing the thrusting Bono is really into it, giving it 150%, Edge and Adam are doing fine, and Larry is hardly moving :laugh:

This ought to be...interesting. Is this actually confirmed or is this still rumored?

MrBrau1 said:
Remember the Discotheque video?

There is nothing left to fear.

Those costumes weren't made popular by the Beatles. The costumes themselves are not what I fear. It's the fact that U2 will be dressed up in iconic Beatles attire. I can just hear people complain "look at U2 with their giant egos! they think they are on par with the Beatles! They think they are the Beatles of today!" Having Paul on stage will help but I'm still nervous they could get raked over the coals.

I'm a wee bit torn because I love the Beatles. In a way I think the uniforms are a bit sacred , but on the other hand I think if any band has the right to wear 'em it's U2-Better a band thats been through it all for 25 years than some flash in the pan band that will be a punchline to a joke 20 years from now.

Lemonfix said:

Those costumes weren't made popular by the Beatles. The costumes themselves are not what I fear. It's the fact that U2 will be dressed up in iconic Beatles attire. I can just hear people complain "look at U2 with their giant egos! they think they are on par with the Beatles! They think they are the Beatles of today!" Having Paul on stage will help but I'm still nervous they could get raked over the coals.

That's what I fear.

U2 are U2 the beatles are the beatles and as sorry as i am the beatles are dead,well at least 2 are,let's move on please,all of u2 are alive and let's enjoy that while it last's,because you never know when it's all over

Lemonfix said:

Very true, On Beatle message boards people still wanna string Bono up for his intro on Helter Skelter. From what I hear it's either McCartney or Geldofs idea(though if McCartney didn't want the uniforms they wouldn't wear em) but that won't matter to people who'll criticise U2 for it.

MrBrau1 said:
[BAnother rumor is Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft (Former Verve singer) will perfrom Bitter Sweet Symphony. [/B]

Yes.
That would be fuckin sweet.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
I'm a wee bit torn because I love the Beatles. In a way I think the uniforms are a bit sacred , but on the other hand I think if any band has the right to wear 'em it's U2-Better a band thats been through it all for 25 years than some flash in the pan band that will be a punchline to a joke 20 years from now.

yes, exactly.

it's like, who else is there?

no one.

as much as I've been dissing u2's setlist this tour, in the end, they are the heir to the beatles throne.

*disclaimer: no one will ever assume that mantle; but if anyone ever could, it's u2*

forty said:
MrBrau raises an excellent point. Lest we forget...

discotheque_179.jpg

C'mon, you can't get any worse than The Village people. LOL. I think it'll be fun... of course, we'll just have to see. *G*

if you could probe the thoughts of these 4 men right there in that moment of time, it would say something like:

"yeah guys, isn't this gonna be great? everyone is gonna LOVE this video."
:huh:
well..........

I really have no problem with them wearing the "sacred" Beatles clothes. My problem is that those clothes are ridiculous looking!
Which, you know, for "bandana" Bono :wink: is par for the course. But does the whole band need to dress so ridiculously?
Plus, Live8 has serious intentions of dramatically altering the world. The costumes just do not seem "serious" to me.
But I'll trust their judgement and wait and see......

JOFO said:

as much as I've been dissing u2's setlist this tour, in the end, they are the heir to the beatles throne.

The thing is though, I really don't think ANYONE could pull this off. U2 could be the closest thing we have to the Beatles today, hell, let's say for argument's sake that U2 are BETTER than the Beatles, the majority of the people will still find this blasphemous simply because they are "borrowing" an iconic image of another band. And even if you are the heir to the Beatles throne, you don't aknowledge it so openly.

(Again, this may not have been U2's idea, it may not even happen, so I'm not gonna go blame U2 for anything at this point.)

Oh, and I will love the Discotheque video to the day I die :)

Has anyone considered the idea that U2 might 'pass the torch' on to Coldplay on Sat? Bono was hanging out with them earlier this week. U2 could give their mantle to Coldplay as the Beatles mantle is being given to U2. Sort of like turning in the earthly crown for a heavenly one.

After saying all that, I don't think U2 are at the Beatles level and Coldplay is not at U2's either!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom