U2 LP13 Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Let Bono"? LOL.

He's their boss, not the other way around. Bono says what Bono wants. Sometimes he even means it.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It's not like someone can tell Bono what to do or what to say. I mean, they can try, but honestly :lol: We're talking about the man here who publicly contradicted the band's manager over the digital downloads/Radiohead issue a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure stuff like that isn't exactly considered to be a kind of behavior that managements usually support with their clients.

Has anyone seen HBO Films' movie about the early days of the AIDS epidemic, And The Band Played On? If you haven't, it's excellent and you should check it out.

Anyway, the scientists at the CDC would have these brainstorming sessions where they would ask, "What do we think? What do we know? What can we prove?" I thought it might be helpful to put the "facts" about the new U2 album under the microscope. I'll start, but please feel free to update with "facts" I may be missing.

1. U2 is releasing an album in 2014.

Basically proven. Several band members and management on the record for this one.

2. The album will be released in March/April.

Think but don't know. Timetable seems to make sense but no one from the band/management has given a firm release date. One report of Bono saying June.

3. U2 is releasing a single titled Invisible in the near future.

Proven. Posted on U2.com.

4. Invisible is the first single from the new album.

Think but don't know? Has anyone from the band specifically stated this is from the album?

5. U2 will be featured in a Super Bowl ad.

Know but can't prove? I've seen several media outlets reporting this, but I don't think there has been any official press release? U2.com only says that the shenanigans in Santa Monica were for a RED video. Didn't specifically mention the Super Bowl.

6. The Super Bowl ad will feature a product tie-in with Beats Music.

Think but don't know. Really just speculation on this one. Makes sense with Jimmy Iovine being involved with Beats and Beats already having a relationship with RED, but certainly nothing official.

Alright, what am I missing and what facts do I have wrong?

C'MON Man!!!!! There is no place for common sense in here Mister :angry:

One thing I'm willing to wager is they believe "invisible" is the best song they have in the vault right now whether it's on the album or not.

One thing I'm willing to wager is they believe "invisible" is the best song they have in the vault right now whether it's on the album or not.

yeah.. you're probably right.

and it sounds like they're going for the Best Song first approach (Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc) rather than the Check-Out-Our-New-Shocking-Sound approach (The Fly, Numb, Disco, Boots)

But if its not the first thing from the album, then it's not the first thing from the recording sessions - Ordinary Love was.
'Ordinary Love' is not part of the same recording sessions. They have gone on record to say that they had to take a break from their album to record OL. Now is it possible they will include OL on the album regardless? Sure. You never know with U2....

yeah.. you're probably right.

and it sounds like they're going for the Best Song first approach (Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc) rather than the Check-Out-Our-New-Shocking-Sound approach (The Fly, Numb, Disco) or even the piece of steaming pile of sh:censored:t approach Boots

Fixed
:wink:

:|

rather than the Check-Out-Our-New-Shocking-Sound approach (The Fly, Numb, Disco, Boots)

Which is the smart move in my opinion. Save those shocking new approach songs for the album for the die hards who will "get it". I don't think the general public will have the memory to say "oh wow they're going back to the numb and discotheque days".

Best song for commercial/radio promotion, probably. (ala Beautiful Day)

'Ordinary Love' is not part of the same recording sessions. They have gone on record to say that they had to take a break from their album to record OL. Now is it possible they will include OL on the album regardless? Sure. You never know with U2....

Malarkey.

The song was recorded by U2, produced by Danger Mouse, at Electric Lady Land, and even had help from Chris Martin, who we know was there while they were working on the album, as fans were allowed in to the studio to hear some of the work.

So as Irvine said in the Ordinary Love thread... This whole "we took time out of our recording specifically to record this song!!" thing is merely pandering to the people who work for the Oscars, making sure that they don't think that U2 just tossed the movie a leftover from their album sessions... which would pretty much rule out an Oscar nomination, let alone a victory.

And on that... if they're able to manipulate their message to try and weasel into an Oscar nod, they certainly could be manipulating the message around the release of the album.

This marketing entire build up is very carefully crafted, as is always the case with a U2 release. That hasn't changed. Only the methods appear to have changed, not the very careful planning.

Bono may lie, but he lies with purpose.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

If they are staking it all on Invisible, and the response to the song is tepid, that could be very bad news for the album. They could well decide to start over. Their confidence in the new material seems incredibly fragile, in all my years as a fan I can't recall them being this hesitant and uncertain. In the past, when they've taken a knock, they managed to ante up again and return with a formidable confidence (The Fly, Beautiful Day). Invisible could either ease their fears or send them tumbling down a crevice of further self-doubt.

Malarkey.

The song was recorded by U2, produced by Danger Mouse, at Electric Lady Land, and even had help from Chris Martin, who we know was there while they were working on the album, as fans were allowed in to the studio to hear some of the work.

So as Irvine said in the Ordinary Love thread... This whole "we took time out of our recording specifically to record this song!!" thing is merely pandering to the people who work for the Oscars, making sure that they don't think that U2 just tossed the movie a leftover from their album sessions... which would pretty much rule out an Oscar nomination, let alone a victory.

And on that... if they're able to manipulate their message to try and weasel into an Oscar nod, they certainly could be manipulating the message around the release of the album.

This marketing entire build up is very carefully crafted, as is always the case with a U2 release. That hasn't changed. Only the methods appear to have changed, not the very careful planning.

TL;DR

bono_lies.jpg

Malarkey.

Bono may lie, but he lies with purpose.

Of course the same people who are recording the album (band included!!) also recorded OL. And why on Earth would they change producers and the recording studio for one song? It wouldn't make any logistical sense to move all their equipment, hire a different producer than the one they became familiar with, just because they were recording a song for Mandela. Unless I completely missed your point, I'm not sure why any of that would matter.

Of course the same people who are recording the album (band included!!) also recorded OL. And why on Earth would they change producers and the recording studio for one song? It wouldn't make any logistical sense to move all their equipment, hire a different producer than the one they became familiar with, just because they were recording a song for Mandela. Unless I completely missed your point, I'm not sure why any of that would matter.

Same sound engineers, same studio hands, same producers, same band, same studio itself, same period of time, etc. That's the same damn recording session.

If they are staking it all on Invisible, and the response to the song is tepid, that could be very bad news for the album. They could well decide to start over. Their confidence in the new material seems incredibly fragile, in all my years as a fan I can't recall them being this hesitant and uncertain. In the past, when they've taken a knock, they managed to ante up again and return with a formidable confidence (The Fly, Beautiful Day). Invisible could either ease their fears or send them tumbling down a crevice of further self-doubt.

I think it would be pretty simple - if this album tanks, they're done. It will be interesting to hear, given the usual 2yr space for fluffed up self-hype, what the real story was behind the long recording process.

The Real Story:

U2 didn't hole up in the studio for months at a time. They recorded in fits and spurts over a period of three years. Consequently, it took longer to finish the record. also spiderman.

Same sound engineers, same studio hands, same producers, same band, same studio itself, same period of time, etc. That's the same damn recording session.
Again, having the same recording personel and the same studio would only make logistical sense. Without getting into lyrical content, the song was recorded for the soundtrack. I don't know why that is such a hard concept to grasp.

Again, having the same recording personel and the same studio would only make logistical sense. Without getting into lyrical content, the song was recorded for the soundtrack. I don't know why that is such a hard concept to grasp.

question is: do you believe that? or was the song kicking around in some shape or form prior? I'd bet that when the Mandela chance came along, they revisited it, as it was a promising idea, Bono wrote some new lyrics, and blammo.

another question is: does it really matter? :wink:

How do you know 100% that Ordinary Love wasn't written, for example, a year ago in some shape or form and then the band decided to use it for the soundtrack?

The Real Story:

U2 didn't hole up in the studio for months at a time. They recorded in fits and spurts over a period of three years. Consequently, it took longer to finish the record. also spiderman.

Also, a lot of is saw them in a stadium as recent as 2011.

That isn't so very long ago.

If anything or anyone should take the blame, it's that Julie Taymor. Throw her under the bus once more!

How do you know 100% that Ordinary Love wasn't written, for example, a year ago in some shape or form and then the band decided to use it for the soundtrack?

I've actually suspected this, and it wouldn't surprise me at all. I also always thought that Bono's line "we saw the movie and thought it was really a love story" to explain the thematic elements of the song didn't ring true. Most of the lyrics have absolutely nothing in them that would lead you to believe the song is about Nelson Mandela, and in fact if you weren't told it was about Mandela, I doubt anyone would even connect the two. And U2 certainly approached the subject matter much differently than when they've written about other political figures.

It wouldn't be the first time U2 recycled a song, and in fact I'd be surprised with all the studio time they've been putting in the past few years if they didn't use something that was already in the works.

Also, a lot of is saw them in a stadium as recent as 2011.

That isn't so very long ago.

If anything or anyone should take the blame, it's that Julie Taymor. Throw her under the bus once more!

:angry: Blame-More Tay-Mor. Blame-More Tay-mor. :angry:

Your point was that they had a completely different recording session strictly for Ordinary Love.

My point is that your point is utter bullshit, as they were clearly recording the album at the same time.

Which is the smart move in my opinion. Save those shocking new approach songs for the album for the die hards who will "get it". I don't think the general public will have the memory to say "oh wow they're going back to the numb and discotheque days".

It's not that people didn't "get it" with Boots, the song just sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom