U2 // Glastonbury 2009 // ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronnie269

Refugee
I've just heard the tickets for Glastonbury are to go on sale tomorrow!

Dose anybody think its possible U2 could headline in 2009?

I know Micheal Eavis targeted the band in the past to headline, I think during the Vertigo Tour they were rumored, but the band turned it down claiming" it wasnt the right time" but the band expressed a good interest in playing it in the future,

U2 say they are extreamly excited by the quality of the ground breaking material they are producing atm, and Willie Williams is hinting they have something special planned for a stage design,

So could it be the right time now for U2 to headline Glastonbury???

Aren't U2 too big to play festivals? :huh:

Not if they done it for promotion

Headlining Glastonbury would get a tv/radio broadcast as well as people talking about it a lot and could gain them new fans
Playing the same size venue solo will just be another gig

But realistically they're not playing would be awesome but...

Wasn't Slane a festival venue as well ?

Slane isn't really a festival though; in reality it's just a regular concert with more and bigger Supporting Acts, not really a festival in a true sense. It was billed as U2 not Slane Festival or anything

Didnt Mr Grumpy Gills (Eavis) go on to rant that he wouldnt bother asking U2 ever again after the last knock back?

^ what he said. I remember Eavis saying he'd never ask them again.

Its highly unlikely they will ever do it.

Its crazy they are releasing tickets so early this time. I'd want to know who was playing before commiting to buying a ticket. :lol:

I see no reason why U2 shouldn't play or would want to miss out on playing Glastonbury. The only logical thing I can think is that they would feel uncomfortable being taken out of their comfort zone; but as has been said, it would be great exposure for people to see U2 as being the great live act that they are. The whole thing of not getting paid enough is ridiculous - its one night, surely they can financially 'suffer' for one night. And i dont subscribe to them being too big either - Rolling Stones played Isle of Wight, Metallica play festivals, as do Coldplay, Muse, Radiohead, Oasis, RHCP and most other huge bands you care to mention.

Get in touch with Eavis guys ffs!!!

I swear this comes up every year, I've long since given up hope :lol: But...it would be AMAZING. And tickets are onsale already?! :shocked:

I highly doubt U2 will ever play festivals, because their production is too large. Even if they don't want to use their own lighting and stage decks, they're going to want their sound system and all of them equipment, and that would take a really long time to set up, and probably not all of it could be done earlier in the day before other acts played, which means there's be a huge gap in the middle of the festival. Look at the fiasco at Bonnaroo earlier this year when Kanye West went on a few hours late because he insisted on using his own stage setup and equipment. It just doesn't seem logistically realistic.

^ what he said. I remember Eavis saying he'd never ask them again.

Its highly unlikely they will ever do it.

Its crazy they are releasing tickets so early this time. I'd want to know who was playing before commiting to buying a ticket. :lol:

:yes: :up:

U2 don't play festivals, unless they are for fundraisers related to U2 charities: Live Aid, Live 8, etc.

Glasto needs U2 far more than the other way around.

i remember Eavis saying U2 really mucked him around last time so they have to go to HIM if they want to play. Fair play to be honest if it's true they were just messing around not deciding or whatever. I'd love to see them play there but it won't happen for a while and would certainly be a headfuck if they wanted their own set-up as well. I don't see why that'd be REALLY necessary though every other 'MAJOR' band that's played there seems to have gone smoothly enough.

Eavis has said loud and clear it will not be U2, Coldplay or The Rolling Stones in 2009.

I know that U2 will never do a run of European festivals, but if they ever want to successfully play stadiums in the US, they need to have their own "festival tour" ala ozzfest/ summer sanitarium....they could have 3 or 4 opening bands like the killers, kings of leon, bloc party, incubus, or even (gasp!) coldplay. The openers could rotate based on region and availability, and are big enough to bring in several thousand before the main event. And in the end, U2 gets to use their own equipment, and take the stage at the usual 9-930pm in a football stadium and play their whole set....why not do this?

I've been to every Glastonbury in the last 10 years and, even recognising the popularity and success of U2, I reckon they need Glasto more than Glasto needs U2.

Glasto is such an unimaginably VAST festival covering an astonishing range of arts (it's full name is 'The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts') that to headline it is to expose your music to a very wide new audience. There are 175,000 paying punters and something like 20,000 others involved in putting it on. Whilst I think there may be many people who like some U2 songs in the Glasto audience I don't think there are very many full-on U2 fanatics.

The sheer wondrous buzz of Saturday night at Glasto (especially the Pyramid stage) really has to be experienced to be appreciated, it's a truly *magical* place and moment. The energy and atmosphere is unique and there are around 100,000 open-minded and joyous people in the main field fully geared up to party and celebrate a memorable show.

I've had this dream to see U2 tear-up the main stage on a Saturday night at Glasto for years. The energy of their usual live show would feed off the electrical buzz the crowd creates and I'm convinced they'd demolish the place with a performance that would be instantly legendary.

I think Michael Eavis was pissed off when they pulled out of playing Glasto during the Vertigo tour (I think it bruised his ego a bit to have someone 'reject' his pride and joy) but he's not daft enough to bear that grudge if there was a real chance they would play.

Go on boys, create a space in your schedule, get yourself some wellies and blow that place apart! A win-win-win for everyone! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom