U2 come 2nd in Top20 moments of RTE's musical history!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazyboy

War Child
Well, today was like the 40th anniversary of RTE, and Gerry Ryan, a DJ here, had a show on tv where he chose the top 20 musical "moments". Not really moments, cos he just picked performers and they showed snippets and people talked about them, but it turned out really good.

Some of the people who made the list...

Rory Gallagher
Riverdance
Phil Lynott
The Dubliners, Ronny Drew and Luke Kelly
The Cranberries
Sinead O'Connor
Boyzone*shudder*(it was "moments", they do have the funniest moment on tv, their debut "performance", truly brilliant)
Chris De Burg
The Corrs
Christy Moore(claimed he performed mostly doped off his head, then proved it with some priceless footage)
Van Morrison
Samantha Mumba
Aidan something or other who got 1st place
eek.gif
Definitely a pisstake
Daniel O'Donnel
Dickie Rock
Joe Dolan

Missing 3 people, can't remember them, U2's bit was gas though, they showed their first RTE performance, from 1978, playing "Remission".
Showed an interview Bono did with Dave fanning, and Bono starts off goin on about the Joshua Tree tour......
"they're calling it the "Money Tree" but they are getting it way wrong. They're not taking into account....the road crew...and"

dave cuts in "ah don't start giving me that"

Then Adam peeks out of a doorway, in a robe, going to Bono "Bono, Bono, where's me wages?!?!" Bono just smiles "ah go back to bed...Clayton!" Ah it was gas anyway, they showed a few clips from early on, and people commenting on them,

B.P. Fallon commented that they were really crap early on, with a decent guitar player, and that was it. He then said "but with a lot of effort, they developed into a strange, different talent"

Some irish woman then said "it shows how superlative the world is that somehow people bought Bono's particular brand of bullshit"
biggrin.gif

There was some praise too, but Dave Fanning said "and the band will agree with me, they got very lucky, through some great decisions through their manager, like skipping London and going to the States." he also said there was alot of bands as good, if not better than u2 starting up in Dublin at the same time as them"

Then..............they showed SLANE!!!!!
eek.gif

Well, about 20 seconds, hehe, but it was so amazing! Brought the memories back, and they gotta release Slane2 on DVD!!!!!!! They gotta!!!! It just showed when they come onto the stage, and everyone, I mean EVERYONE of the 85,000 people were jumping up and down!!
biggrin.gif
It was so beautiful!!!
smile.gif

Ok, I'm rambling, but it was cool!

Okay...so did you record it? And can I get a copy?
smile.gif

enterangell@cs.com

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Well thank you very much for your report lazyboy.
smile.gif

I love when fans do things like that, sharing what they saw or heard, so that the other fans can have an idea about what was going on.

Yes, thank you lazyboy(just can't call u lazy for short! lol)! for sharing that with us! i for one will never get enough of hearing about u2, esp. early stuff! peace..2..u

i saw the programme and it was so cool.
to see u2 walking out for slane 2 brought back some memories let me tell you.

very glad some1 appreciated it, thanks Follower, Madonna's Child, Angell(hehe, sorry, just recorded the U2 bit for my collection, and forbonoU2
smile.gif

Hey ireland, I think it was Slane1, it was pretty bright when they came out, Slane2 it was almost dark.

Hehe, yeah, I got such a buzz seeing it! Musta rewound it like 50 times
biggrin.gif
Slaaaaaaaaaaaane!

Oh yeah, 2 of the other people in the list I remembered
Paul Brady
Sheeba

Ah memories *slane 2*
biggrin.gif
if you go to a small record shop along the quays beside temple bar i dublin (is there one called aston quay???) well nehoo this shop has slane 2 recordings on VHS, the quality is quite good considering it was some bloke standing in the heart with a video recorder-its not the best quality but at least u could see slane 2 on vhs for ?20 well its in euros now
smile.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

Originally posted by lazyboy:
and they gotta release Slane2 on DVD
I agree!

what is Samantha Mumba doing on that list?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:

Hehe, WHAT????!! Are you implying she is not talented?!?! She is not worthy?!?!?
eek.gif

Salome! I thought you would know better! Have you "seen" her lately??
tongue.gif

Comic relief I guess, why do you think Boyzone were on it?
biggrin.gif
They showed some reallllly early performances of hers, they we sickening!

Bono-vox, I'm gonna hold out for the official release, cos I know there is gonna be 1, if not, I'm gonna take every member of Dreamchaser ,or whatever that crowd are, hostage, and if I gotta, U2 too
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Salome:

I don't know what she's like, but I remember reading that Bono & she get along- that they send text messages to each other?

rolleyes.gif
no comment...

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

** U2 Take Me Higher **

Jazz man bass man cool -bluey-

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom