U2 can't please everybody all of the time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Sometimes I feel sorry for U2. I know there's no need to, they are rich, famous, legendary, gorgeous and loved. But they will never be able to please everybody.

You know, how some older fans didn't like Zooropa or Pop? Then in the greatest twist of irony, some Pop fans felt the same way about ATYCLB! So what's a band to do? No matter what they do or don't do, SOMEBODY will complain. So I guess since they can't please everyone, they can please themselves, and hope it pleases most fans too.

It reminds me of the lyrics to this song. It was written by Rick Nelson after he showed up looking like a hippie and trying new songs when all everyone wanted was Mary Lou and him looking like the '50's. Then Chuck Berry always looked and sounded the same and everyone loved him! So maybe this is the frustration U2 might have felt that many established fans didn't like Pop, or many Pop lovers didn't get into ATYCLB.

Garden Party

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends.
A chance to share old memories and play our old songs again.
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name,
But no one recognized me, I didn't look the same.

But it's all right now. I learned my lesson well.
You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

People came from miles around. Everyone was there.
Yoko brought her walrus. There was magic in the air.
And over in the corner, much to my surprise, Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise.

I played them all the old songs, I thought that's why they came.
No one heard the music. We didn't look the same.

I said hello to "Mary Lou, she belongs to me.
When I sang a song about a Honky-Tonk, it was time to leave.

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode,
Playing guitar like a ring and a bell and lookin' like he should.
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta lock,
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck.

But it's all right now. I learned my lesson well. You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

Last edited:
ya I remember the story behind that concert he gave.. all the fans wanted was the old stuff.. He was playing at Madison Square Garden I think I may be wrong on the location.. I hope U2 just keep making the music they want to make.. hopefully the fans like it..

Katey said:
I hope U2 just keep making the music they want to make.. hopefully the fans like it..

Same here. Ultimately it's the band who'll have to keep performing these songs over and over, and so they're the ones who should decide when a song's good enough.

Personally, I find good in both Pop and ATYCLB. I can find something about each and every one of their albums that I love.

Angela

i hope they wouldnt try to please everybody, its impossible and they might end up with something like atyclb (just kidding ;))

everybody has their own preferences, likes, and dislikes. so if some like one style and others like another, than who cares, thats life, we're all different and thats what makes life interesting.

U2 can please everybody if they try. What do you think about Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and ATYCLB? These three albums got to please everybody and was proclaimed by critics and fans alike as the triumvirate of U2 masterpieces. Hopefully the next album will be good to make it a quartet of U2 masterpieces.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
U2 can please everybody if they try. What do you think about Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and ATYCLB? These three albums got to please everybody and was proclaimed by critics and fans alike as the triumvirate of U2 masterpieces. Hopefully the next album will be good to make it a quartet of U2 masterpieces.

Cheers,

J

do you even pay attention to what other people write on this board or are you too fascinated with your own posts?

not everybody thinks atyclb is a masterpiece, the original post in this thread even made that point. it is impossible for anybody to please everybody. how about the non u2 fans, do they think those 3 albums are masterpieces? i think not.

i think atyclb is a great album but not a masterpiece. im one of those that prefers pop and actually think that album, and whole era really, was a "masterpiece." but thats jut me, there are others who despise it, so like i pointed out earlier, its all about personal preferences.

so like i said, who cares if some people like some album or era over another, or even not at all, we all have different tastes. even though they cant please everybody, i think u2 has been able to please enough fans over the years to make a very good living, so they must be doing something right.

atyclb was not too good , it's a very very medium type record actually . Pop was much better in terms of sound , lyrics , one hour of very good music , no fillers ( hello ATYCLB!!! and bye bye ) .

Oh, bear :sigh: It's so sad when some people can't praise one album without bashing another one. That's why I started this thread, out of that frustration. (see current Pop 'appreciation' thread original post) It's really strange the feelings of resentment and hate some of the work of the same band brings out in its fans, isn't it? Why does it have to be that way? U2 really can't please everybody all the time, and how sad it was that no matter what they do somebody will complain. This is the anti- album bashing thread, well, I hoped :(

Oh, and I think the album is pretty much done and is what it is minus the finishing touches, so those of you who think you can influence the band with your opinions, it's probably too late;) And no matter what it is, some of us are going to love it and some are going to complain. It never ends:rolleyes: Poor U2 :huh:

All U2 albums are loved by somebody :) Not everybody, but somebody :happy:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
It's really strange the feelings of resentment and hate some of the work of the same band brings out in its fans, isn't it?

I think it's also strange that we put each other down for such feelings, and yet, someone's always starting new threads that usually serve no purpose other than to push peoples' buttons.

Personally, I am thouroughly pleased with U2. I don't resent or hate anything they've ever produced, I don't think I could be a fan without being able to find some element of appreciation in each song, album, and tour.

Though there are some albums I love and some I don't, I respect and admire every album U2 has produced. They each have a unique sound with quality lyrics.

The same applies for all of their tours - while of course I have a favorite and least favorite, I admire U2 for trying something new and risky each time (though maybe this is a bit more tru of the last few tours). I respect them for always trying to make a statement, however rediculous or controversial.

Though their purposes have not always been accepted by everyone, I think I can safely say that at least U2 have never been boring.

Last edited:
alexvilagosh said:
Well, I don't care if they don't please everyone, as long as they please me :p!

That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't love every single little bit about U2 (When love Comes to Town being the prime example) but on the whole they're way above every other band, and for that I am grateful. It's always nice to know other people appreciate what I think is brilliant work, but, if they don't, then that's their loss, not mine. It doesn't take anything away from my love of U2 to think that other people mightn't like them all the time.

All the so-called ATYCLB bashers really do love the album. They just hate it because U2 proved that they "redeemed themselves after POP." They bash ATYCLB just because Bono said POP was "unfinished". They bash ATYCLB not because of its musical merits (or demerits) but because it threatens their very fandom of POP and makes them looks illogical. But if POP never existed, I am sure they'd like ATYCLB too. So many people here always try to make ATYCLB vs POP threads just to get a rise out of these board. But then statistics, Grammies, sales, airplay, critics, tour success --all of these things don't lie. Deep inside, the so called ATYCLB bashers are happy that U2 put themselves back in the limelight with ATYCLB, so now they could brag to a new generation of kids that U2 still rules (and they really still do). They just blast ATYCLB because it slapped POP in the face, and not because ATYCLB was musically inferior.

Cheers,

J

I think the problem is that the "internet generation", the younger, 90's U2 fans are more into their 90's albums and don't get as much out of ATYCLB.
Just like some fans from the 80's had a problem with AB. You win some you lose some.

(I'm curious as to how, with clearly better sales, the hits and all the Grammys it got, and a sold-out tour with a better sounding Bono, the last album was worse in any way to POP. And while we're at it, it confuses me that of all their tours, Elevation gets the most criticism for static setlists - even though there were interesting shows in that department - yet they played the most songs ever on that tour.)

Last edited:
Katey said:
ya I remember the story behind that concert he gave.. all the fans wanted was the old stuff.. He was playing at Madison Square Garden I think I may be wrong on the location.. I hope U2 just keep making the music they want to make.. hopefully the fans like it..

I agree with you!

It was Madison Square Garden hence the title 'Garden Party'.
and U2Kitten, I think you're appreciation thread is great and I'm just happy I'm not of the mind set that hates anything they've done. It wouldn't be U2 without all the albums involved. anyway I feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate any one particular album. and please I'm not putting down anyone or talking about anyone at all.
everyone's entitled to their own opinion this is just mine.

Last edited:
jick said:
i didn't like atyclb. i know of people who don't like joshua tree. not to mention, if U2 really did please everybody with those albums, then that would mean everyone on earth would have a copy.

sue4u2 said:
I feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate any one particular album.

exactly. You can appreciate something without liking it. For example, I appreciate Achtung Baby, I think it's probably U2's finest album, and one of the finest albums ever, but I don't really like Achtung Baby.

jick said:
All the so-called ATYCLB bashers really do love the album. They just hate it because U2 proved that they "redeemed themselves after POP." They bash ATYCLB just because Bono said POP was "unfinished". They bash ATYCLB not because of its musical merits (or demerits) but because it threatens their very fandom of POP and makes them looks illogical. But if POP never existed, I am sure they'd like ATYCLB too. So many people here always try to make ATYCLB vs POP threads just to get a rise out of these board. But then statistics, Grammies, sales, airplay, critics, tour success --all of these things don't lie. Deep inside, the so called ATYCLB bashers are happy that U2 put themselves back in the limelight with ATYCLB, so now they could brag to a new generation of kids that U2 still rules (and they really still do). They just blast ATYCLB because it slapped POP in the face, and not because ATYCLB was musically inferior.

Cheers,

J

I've always thought it was something like that. Not all fans who like Pop, but certainly the ones that get so defensive about it and have to keep posting over and over how great it was and how much ATYCLB sucks! It's like they feel personally insulted that ATYCLB was a bigger success and they must dump on it and all those who liked it. But after all these years I hope it will stop eating at them and we can all just like or not like whatever albums we like without all the horseshit.

Ok, let's just forget the ATYCLB bashers/lovers. My basic premise was that is it possible for U2 to please everybody, like Achtung or JT.

Lemme shout:

IS THERE ANYONE OUT HERE WHO DOESN'T LIKE ACHTUNG BABY OR THE JOSHUA TREE?

Cheers,

J

jick said:
IS THERE ANYONE OUT HERE WHO DOESN'T LIKE ACHTUNG BABY OR THE JOSHUA TREE?

In regards to the latter, yes. Go read the previous page. Indeed, to save time, here's the relevant quote.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i know of people who don't like joshua tree

There you go.

Axver said:

In regards to the latter, yes. Go read the previous page. Indeed, to save time, here's the relevant quote.

There you go.

But no Achtung bashers so far! So yes, U2 CAN please everybody. It is possible.

Cheers,

J

excuse me? If you would just take the time to scroll up a bit you'd see in plain English I DONT LIKE ACHTUNG BABY but I'm not an Achtung Baby basher. I just don't care for the album. It's probably U2's best album though.

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J

Glad you have the power to tell me what I think mate...

I like the fact that ATYCLB put the band in the spotlight, but I still think it is a dull, slightly derivative, fairly unremarkable album compared to their best work. And yes Jick I really do think that. I've seriously listened to it through maybe a dozen times, most of which were back when I first got it trying to like it. I find it decidely uninspiring. Not bad mind you, it is musically competent and I like a couple of the songs quite a lot but in my opinion it rates well behind albums like JT, AB, Zooropa, POP and I'd say UF and R&H too. I much prefer all of those albums to ATYCLB.

U2 Girl, the fact that I don't like it has nothing to do with me being a 90's fan. One of my favourite u2 songs ever is 11 O' Clock Tick Tock, I purposely dug up as much of their early material as I could find. I have Under A Blood Red Sky on LP and I really love that I have the unedited live version of The Electric Co. UF remains one of my favourite albums of all time, right down to ignored tracks like Elvis Presly and America. I also happen to be one of the few people who reallly love almost all of the new material from R&H which includes such unloved tracks as When Love Comes To Town. So I like pretty much all periods of U2's music, not just the 90's stuff. Infact UF and JT were the first U2 albums I bought back in 96.

I know this is off topic but please people don't tell me what I think.

Last edited:
Blacksword said:
I know this is off topic but please people don't tell me what I think.
well, I'm quite sure u2girl didn't mean that everyone who doesn't like ATYCLB fits the description, but from what I've read on this forum over the past few years I'd say here description works pretty well as a general rule

especially for those who treat ATYCLB as the leper in the u2 collection

personally I would even rate my least favourite U2 album 7 out of 10

since it is the same 4 guys with the same convictions basically making the same kind of music I don't see how I could hate any U2 album

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom