U2 By U2 Scans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally got my book yesterday! I wanted to flip through it a bit in the evening, look at some photos and read some stuff, and I ended up reading til 3 in the morning, which was good and bad at the same time. I so love this book. There are many little things that I really enjoyed reading. Much stuff I didn't know. Some was quite funny, some very touching. And the pictures are great.

Storm/Light said:
Just wondering... are there any pictures of the band or various members with Gavin Friday in this book? Or any mention of him and their time growing up together? If there is, could a kind soul scan it for me? I won't be able to get the book for myself for a while yet.

Thanks! And loving all the scans so far. Some great stories in there!

There are some pics with Gavin; I'll try to find some later. For now here's how Bono and Larry met Gavin, and some talk about Lypton Village and Adam drinking coffee during German class. :hug:
P39a.jpg

P39b.jpg

:ohmy: PB told me that I'm close to exceeding my bandwidth limit for the month. Hopefully y'all aren't hotlinking any of the photos I've posted. If you are, quit it :madwife:!!!!!!!! PB says I have 38862 monthly hits, and I know I haven't done all that myself. So please don't make me go change all my links, k?

I'll have more text next week - I'd post it now but I don't want to risk losing everything I've done so far - I'm at 94% capacity right now with my bandwidth.

Sue DeNym said:
I got my copy! :hyper: $21.69 at Costco. And it is such a good read so far.

:laugh: at Edge claiming he looked like Alfred E. Neuman, while his best friend looked like Paul Newman! Poor Edge! :hug:

LOL. His friend was so cute though! I also loved the quote on pg. 29 when they're talking abou the first band meeting, and Bono goes "I though Edge had the most extraordinary head-He looked like an Apache Indian." :lmao: To anyone who has the book, go to pg. 13. I'm sorry, but Adam looked just like a thinner version of the boy from "A Christmas Story" when he was little.:giggle: (Sorry Carmel. LOL)

I didn't get to read your latest scans LG (and thanks for your great work btw! :bow: ), but I was just wondering about something in connection to this...

girlwcrimsonnls said:
Any good stories or pics about Adam/other guys childhood, did they go into much detail about this at all?

Does Adam tell anything about the time he was living in Kenya? :nerd:

Merc said:
I didn't get to read your latest scans LG (and thanks for your great work btw! :bow: ), but I was just wondering about something in connection to this...

Does Adam tell anything about the time he was living in Kenya? :nerd:

Just that they had to leave when it became dangerous for white people there, then his parents had to decide to go to Dublin or Hong Kong.

girlwcrimsonnls said:
Just that they had to leave when it became dangerous for white people there, then his parents had to decide to go to Dublin or Hong Kong.

Did he say what year they moved? I'm guessing it must have been somewhere around the Independence...

(Sorry I'm a bit :nerd: about this - just think it's fun cos I lived there for a short while myself)

Edit: Okay, found the excerpt from the book at the Harper Collins site:

When I was four years old, dad found work in Kenya flying for East African Airways. We were based in Nairobi: this was definitely the happiest period I can remember from my early life; the heat and the freedom. My parents would have been living relatively comfortably compared to before, with regular work, a decent-sized house, someone to clean and help, that sort of stuff. Mostly I remember the sunshine and the smells. I have kept a lot of things African with me over the years, and whenever I've been back there it has always seemed very familiar.

Kenya had become an independent country as recently as 1963, throwing off British rule, and the situation there was still volatile. By 1965, it was getting quite dangerous to be a white person there. My dad had job offers in Ireland and Hong Kong but Ireland seemed closer to the family, so we came here, settling in Malahide, a suburban coastal town about eight miles from Dublin.

It's great for me to hear he has such happy memories from Kenya... and that he has been back since! :cute:

Last edited:
Thanks Dahlia, but as you posted I was editing my own post ^! :wink:

YAY! :hyper: I finally got my copy of the book today!! *does vertual happy dance*.... :dancing:

Looked through the whole book and loved all the gorgeous pics :drool: and I've read the first 5 chapters (love Edges description of the U2 'ship'! :lol:), and I'm just wading through the 6th chapter! :wink: I'll scan some pages when I get home this weekend!! :D

It only cost 24.90e here! :ohmy: When I saw the price, from one of the book signing pics in Dublin, as it being over 30 euros there, I was sure it would more expensive here, but I was happily surprised to find it almost 10 euros cheaper here in Finland! :D

Last edited:
^^:ohmy:
you're so lucky..it seems the Italian version will be nearly 49€..that's why I had my english one from amazon (a lot cheaper but not as much as yours..oh well I had shipping costs included), and now it's safe in my room :D

Back
Top Bottom