u2 360 Boxscore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was only asking Moggio how many fans he thought traveled from Utah and New Mexico for the the Stones show in Denver.

But, I'll go ahead and respond to your Moggio routine.

Often in the United States, Thanksgiving weekend is a four day weekend. A perfect time to take a road trip! You don't even have to take off work! This would be an added boost both in Denver, but also for people having to travel long distances.

For U2, while having a show on a Saturday is good, its still just a regular weekend. Also, an outdoor show in May in Colorado is not the same as May shows in many other area's of the country. It can get cold at night outdoors. It snowed on POPMART.

I can definitely vouch for the cold! It was in the high 40's at Denver so I had to wear a light jacket. In Salt Lake City it was in the low 40's and I was wearing my ski jacket!

Also, Salt Lake City was on a regular tuesday and it managed to sell over 47,000 tickets.

They added 20% capacity to hawaii vertigo

Its like this:

What was attendance originally going to be on April 8, 2006? What evidence do you have that proves that?

How many people bought tickets because Pearl Jam was added to the concert? What evidence do you have that proves that?

Yes, but he didn't need the fancy production or take 4-5 years between "tours". He also played stadiums on occasion from 1980-1994.

He regularly toured the globe until he was around 80.

Did Sinatra perform on 95% of the tours that occured in the 80s?

What type of pricing did 95% of tours in the 1980s have?

Now look at what Pink Floyd did in 1994.

Look at how tours started to be priced after 1994.

See the difference?

Did Sinatra perform on 95% of the tours that occured in the 80s?

What type of pricing did 95% of tours in the 1980s have?

Now look at what Pink Floyd did in 1994.

Look at how tours started to be priced after 1994.

See the difference?

You said Floyd were the first major international touring act to have tiered pricing. I disagreed and showed evidence from the limited available info on the web or online billboards.

You said Floyd were the first major international touring act to have tiered pricing. I disagreed and showed evidence from the limited available info on the web or online billboards.

Well, the limited information you have shown for the few artist you listed leads me to believe they are not major international touring acts. New artist don't dream about being able to do what Sinatra or some other older singer does from time to time. They are thinking, how can we get to the level of the Stones, Floyd, U2 etc. Stadiums, huge staging, those types of things.

You always seem to be hung up on this small group of singers who are not trend setters when it comes to touring at all in any way shape or form. Yes, Pavoroti or whoever may have played a show here and there with a broad range of ticket prices. But they never undertook huge tours that changed industry standards.

What Pink Floyd did in that sense was new, contributed a lot to increasing their gross on Division Bell, and the industry over the next few years followed, and now it is the standard that is used for nearly all major tours.

Here is a boxscore by Interpol this past week.

Interpol, School of seven bells
Radio City Music Hall, NY
Feb 17, 2011
Gross-$212,452
Attendance-5,396/5,961
shows-1
sellouts-0

Oakland fillin up..

scaled.php

Ok, then why can't you do the following?

Name one source that you have sited and that can be verified by us through an internet link or another way in which it could be looked up by someone. Were looking for someone actually mentioning strategic scheduling and its level of impact on cities not visited.

ONCE AGAIN, my points are ALL backed up with compelling evidence. And there is NO compelling evidence that shows I'm wrong about my points. Yet, you STILL continue to ignore it.

Thats when the modern age began in terms of concert ticket pricing. 1994 was a turning point. Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour was the first large scale global rock tour to use tiered pricing and the benefits were huge. If $34 dollars is a affordable, $22.50 is a steal! Plus the $75 dollars tickets are more than double the average! If U2 had used tiered pricing similar to this on ZOO TV, attendance and gross would have been even higher.

But that's incorrect. U2FanPeter has shown you tier pricing has existed for DECADES.

Only SOME shows on The Division Bell tour had bottom tier prices of $22.50 and top tier prices of $75. And these particular prices were only a SMALL percentage of seats sold.

You cannot EVEN COME CLOSE TO PROVING that the ZOO TV tour would've had a higher gross because of tier pricing.

The reason why the ZOO TV tour grossed more than the Joshua Tree tour (with a few exceptions related to the Lovetown tour), is that inflation increased 25-30% and their album sales increased anywhere from 2-4x between 1987-1993.

The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang Tour
November 24, 2005
Denver Colorado
Pepsi Center
GROSS: $2,707,590
ATTENDANCE: 15,091
CAPACITY: 15,385
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 0
Average Ticket Price: $179.42

So how many fans from New Mexico and Utah traveled to this show?

Hardly any, if any at all, since they played SLC just two days before AND since they played nearby in Phoenix a few days later.

Also, their SLC, Phoenix and Denver shows went on sale at basically the same time.
:lol:

No they don't! :D
I don't want to copy paste any tour schedules, but just look them up on the artists' websites. I have already posted boxscores showing that Interpol are a theatre act in all markets they will open for U2 and that The Fray is a theatre act in Edmonton.

Please provide us some tour schedules and boxscores, proving that Snow Patrol, Interpol, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Florence & The Machine, Springbok Nude Girls, Glasvegas, OneRepublic, Razorlight and The Fray are strong openers in the markets they opened for U2 (73 shows!). NONE of the above artists can even gross close to 10% of what U2 have grossed in these markets, even not with their own show, their own stage, a full setlist and their own ticket prices! There is no doubt about that.

Then, of course, we have Muse who grossed an average of 6-7% in the same or close markets they opened for U2. Boxscores prove that. I'm sure I have already posted them in this thread or the other one. So even Muse could not gross more than 6-7% in the markets they opened for U2 with their own show, their own stage, a full setlist and their own ticket prices and after they had been able to increase their popularity in these markets by opening for U2. How would they have been able to contribute 10% as an opening act when they can't even gross that much on their own, after opening for U2?
Then there's Muse in South America. They've played theatres there in 2008 (the boxscore is available in the other thread). In 2011, they would need to be able to gross $3.3 million in Sao Paulo and $2 million in Argentinia with their own show, their own stage, a full setlist and their own ticket prices in order to contribute 10% to the U2 360° figures. We all know that this is insane.

We're talking a total of 89 shows of which openers did not contribute even close to 10% of the gross.

So I guess Jay-Z, the Black Eyed Peas and Elbow must have contributed about 30% on each show to get to an average of 10% :D

ONCE AGAIN...just about every single sentence of the above is BS. We've gone over this MILLIONS OF TIMES ALREADY. NO ONE has utilized stronger openers for their tours than U2 has for the 360 tour. Tour schedules, stats, artists' demand levels and boxscores confirm this. You must not been reading this thread carefully enough? Also, I NEVER said ALL of U2's openers brought in 10%. It's an average. STOP MISQUOTING ME.
roll.gif

ONCE AGAIN...just about every single sentence of the above is BS. We've gone over this MILLIONS OF TIMES ALREADY. NO ONE has utilized stronger openers for their tours than U2 has for the 360 tour. Tour schedules, stats, artists' demand levels and boxscores confirm this. You must not been reading this thread carefully enough? Also, I NEVER said ALL of U2's openers brought in 10%. It's an average. STOP MISQUOTING ME.
roll.gif

I didn't misquote you, I just showed that in 89 of the 110 shows, opening acts are not even able to gross close to 10% of the individual 360° gross figures on their own. How would there be an average of 10% when there are only 21 of 110 shows in markets where openers might even be able to gross 10% on their own (which still does not resemble demand of a show as an opening act).

All you can come up with is saying that this is bullshit and claiming boxscores and tour schedules proved your point, which is just wrong! Please show us evidence and show us how Snow Patrol, Interpol, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Florence & The Machine, Springbok Nude Girls, Glasvegas, OneRepublic, Razorlight, The Fray, Lenny Kravitz and Muse (89 shows!) can gross 10% of what U2 360° had grossed in the specific markets. There are no boxscores and no tour schedules indicating they could.

Hardly any, if any at all, since they played SLC just two days before AND since they played nearby in Phoenix a few days later.

Also, their SLC, Phoenix and Denver shows went on sale at basically the same time.
:lol:

Ok, well lets just look at New Mexico then. You said 10,000 people from New Mexico were at the U2 360 concert in Denver. So with that in mind:

So how many fans from New Mexico traveled to Denver for this show show?

November 24, 2005
Denver Colorado
Pepsi Center

According to Google Earth, Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico, is 418 miles from Phoenix which it claims would take 7 hours and 11 minutes based on average driving conditions. Ironically, despite Denver being slightly further away at 447 miles(29 miles further), it says it would also take 7 hours and 11 minutes based on average driving conditions.

Its unlikely that Salt Lake City would be an option for New Mexico fans since it is 602 miles and 10 hours and 50 minutes of driving from Albuquerque New Mexico.

So Phoenix and Denver are the real options for New Mexico fans.

How many New Mexico fans traveled whether it was to Denver or Phoenix to see the Rolling Stones? You said 10,000 fans alone traveled to Denver for U2 360 from New Mexico, so I'm interested to know the number of fans you think traveled from New Mexico to see the Rolling Stones perform in Phoenix or Denver?

Here is the Phoenix show which occured 3 days after the Denver show:

November 27, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Glendale Arena
GROSS: $2,553,855
ATTENDANCE: 14,784
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $172.74

If any boxscores appear today, it will be Winnipeg and Edmonton, unless they manage to get Seattle reported as well..

My predictions for the next shows...

Canad Inns Stadium - Winnipeg, MB - 51,000 - $5,200,000
Commonwealth Stadium - Edmonton, AB - 63,000 - $6,100,000
Qwest Field - Seattle, WA - 74,000 - $7,500,000
Overstock.com Coliseum - Oakland, CA - 65,000 - $6,400,000

I didn't misquote you...

Yes, you did. I NEVER said ALL of U2's openers bought in 10%.

...I just showed that in 89 of the 110 shows, opening acts are not even able to gross close to 10% of the individual 360° gross figures on their own. How would there be an average of 10% when there are only 21 of 110 shows in markets where openers might even be able to gross 10% on their own (which still does not resemble demand of a show as an opening act).

You haven't shown that at all.

All you can come up with is saying that this is bullshit and claiming boxscores and tour schedules proved your point, which is just wrong!

:lol: So, the artists' tour schedules, stats, boxscores and/or artists' demand levels are wrong? :lol:

Please show us evidence and show us how Snow Patrol, Interpol, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, Florence & The Machine, Springbok Nude Girls, Glasvegas, OneRepublic, Razorlight, The Fray, Lenny Kravitz and Muse (89 shows!) can gross 10% of what U2 360° had grossed in the specific markets. There are no boxscores and no tour schedules indicating they could.

ONCE AGAIN, I NEVER said ALL of U2's openers brought in 10%. For reasons already run into the ground for PAGES, the evidence clearly shows that the BEP, Muse & Jay Z brought in 10-15% per market, The Fray and Lenny Kravitz brought 5-10% per market. And as for the rest, almost all of them are arena level artists in the UK/Europe, so they brought in over 5% per market.

Ok, well lets just look at New Mexico then. You said 10,000 people from New Mexico were at the U2 360 concert in Denver. So with that in mind:

So how many fans from New Mexico traveled to Denver for this show show?

November 24, 2005
Denver Colorado
Pepsi Center

According to Google Earth, Albuquerque, the largest city in New Mexico, is 418 miles from Phoenix which it claims would take 7 hours and 11 minutes based on average driving conditions. Ironically, despite Denver being slightly further away at 447 miles(29 miles further), it says it would also take 7 hours and 11 minutes based on average driving conditions.

Its unlikely that Salt Lake City would be an option for New Mexico fans since it is 602 miles and 10 hours and 50 minutes of driving from Albuquerque New Mexico.

So Phoenix and Denver are the real options for New Mexico fans.

How many New Mexico fans traveled whether it was to Denver or Phoenix to see the Rolling Stones? You said 10,000 fans alone traveled to Denver for U2 360 from New Mexico, so I'm interested to know the number of fans you think traveled from New Mexico to see the Rolling Stones perform in Phoenix or Denver?

Here is the Phoenix show which occured 3 days after the Denver show:

November 27, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Glendale Arena
GROSS: $2,553,855
ATTENDANCE: 14,784
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $172.74

I don't know for sure because of not knowing how much DMB contributed to The Stones' 2006 El Paso show. But whatever the figure, the amount of fans traveling from New Mexico to Denver and Phoenix, considering 1/3 of The Stones' New Mexico demand would be willing to travel, works out to about 15% heading to Phoenix and the other 15% heading to Denver because of the very similar distances from Albuquerque to Denver and Albuquerque to Phoenix. However, both 15% figures would change, if one doesn't consider Albuquerque as the starting point of travel...

I don't know because of not knowing how much DMB contributed to The Stones draw at their 2006 El Paso show. And don't ask for me a best guess or estimate because I can't answer this with certainty. But whatever the figure, the amount of fans traveling from New Mexico to Denver and Phoenix would've probably been nearly 50/50 because of the very similar distances from Albuquerque to Denver and Albuquerque to Phoenix.

The 2006 show in El Paso is irrelevant to the question since that show did not go on sale until 2006. These shows all went on sale and occured in 2005. Fans in New Mexico had no idea or knowledge about a Rolling Stones show in El Paso at the time of these Phoenix and Denver shows.

So the question is very straight forward. If you can say that 10,000 U2 fans at the Denver show came from New Mexico, you should be able to say how many fans from New Mexico went to see the Rolling Stones in Denver. The late 2006 El Paso show was a YEAR away and not relevant to making this assessment.

I don't know for sure because of not knowing how much DMB contributed to The Stones draw at their 2006 El Paso show. But whatever the figure, the amount of fans traveling from New Mexico to Denver and Phoenix would've probably been about 15% of the demand level of The Stones' draw in NM heading to Phoenix and 15% heading to Denver because of the very similar distances from Albuquerque to Denver and Albuquerque to Phoenix.

Wow, doing a lot of editing I see. At first you said only 15% combined for both. So now its 15% of their demand in New Mexico headed for Phoenix and another 15% headed for Denver.

You said 10,000 U2 fans from New Mexico were at the Denver show. What percentage of New Mexico U2 fans would that be? Is it also 15%?

The 2006 show in El Paso is irrelevant to the question since that show did not go on sale until 2006. These shows all went on sale and occured in 2005. Fans in New Mexico had no idea or knowledge about a Rolling Stones show in El Paso at the time of these Phoenix and Denver shows.

The Stones' 2006 El Paso show is NOT irrelevant...but it does obviously make it even harder to figure out.

So the question is very straight forward. If you can say that 10,000 U2 fans at the Denver show came from New Mexico, you should be able to say how many fans from New Mexico went to see the Rolling Stones in Denver. The late 2006 El Paso show was a YEAR away and not relevant to making this assessment.

And no, your question was not very straight forward. And I've explained why there is difficulty in answering it. And AGAIN, the Stones' 2006 El Paso show is NOT irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom