Troubles vs Sleep Like a Baby--which one makes the live cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeevey

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm imagining only one slow burner from the album will make it onto the tour, or at least through til the end. Which will it be?

They could definitely do both songs, but The Troubles gets my vote. They could get Lykke Li or however you spell to perform or grab some other female voice.

I would prefer The Troubles, it's so haunting. I'm sure Lykke Li's voice will just be track if they do it live.

If I had to guess, though, I bet the band likes Sleep Like a Baby Tonight more then The Troubles. I have no factual support, of course, it just feels like the song they (Bono especially) would like more.

PLEASE Sleep Like a Baby. Troubles is great but I freaking love Sleep.

Troubles might be the better song, but I think Sleep might translate better in a live setting--I can't tell yet.

The Troubles is DEFINITELY being played live. There's no way they're leaving it out. It's going to be the standard closer of the tour, I'd be shocked if it isn't.

The question for me is whether Lykke Li will be there for it (not really feasible, though, except for perhaps one or two special appearances), or if they'll have it pre-recorded in the background, or if they'll just let Edge sing her part instead.

I'd love to hear Sleep Like A Baby live, but I think it might be left out. It reminds me a bit of Throw Your Arms Around The World, which did work fine live, but I give it less of a chance showing up than The Troubles.

If it is a stadium tour then I doubt either will be done, with the possible exception of The Troubles on rare occasions when Lykke Li or some other guest can make an appearance.

Sonically, One would flow really well into The Troubles as a closer... Not sure where they would put Sleep Like A Baby in a setlist - maybe as an encore opener, but you can't have it in there along with One/The Troubles, so I think it will be out. Keep in mind if both SOI and SOE are out by tour time, we are going to get a lot fewer songs live from each than we would from a single new release usually.

Neither.

The Troubles without Lykke is a bad idea. If they get her to open for them on tour, would be a great bonus to have her come back out. But having Edge sing it, or a pre-recorded Lykke track...not into it at all.

Sleep Like A Baby is too atmospheric. Doubt it's getting the Velvet Dress treatment.

I'm more worried about whether or not they play This Is Where... Assuming only 7 or 8 songs will make it to the show, don't know what else they could cut. Personally I could do without Cedarwood Road. The first four songs are a shoo-in.

i'm in the group that thinks neither will be played live. like them both (love SLABT) but just don't think either fits what U2 typically incorporates into their live set.

If they don't play SLABT, it would be a travesty--and a huge mistake...:angry:lol.
I think this is my favorite song on the album.

The troubles brings up the touchy subject of having another voice besides edge. Other bands have done it...but u2 never have. And I assume they probably won't. Although it would make for an interesting sound

Because they're not going to play all 11 songs + Invisible.

And these two seem like the biggest challenges in the transition to the live format.

It's a legitimate question to ask.

I could see Sleep Like A Baby somewhere in the middle of the set (the bathroom break part) and The Troubles at the end, maybe right before One.

They won't have a choice but to play The Troubles. That song is going to take over the world.

One of the reasons why U2 played so little from NLOTH is that the audience didn't know the songs and didn't get into them. They have bought themselves more room with the new tracks by making sure everyone has the album.

I'm not predicting 11-13 new songs, but if they ever were going to do it.... this would be their chance.

One of the reasons why U2 played so little from NLOTH is that the audience didn't know the songs and didn't get into them. They have bought themselves more room with the new tracks by making sure everyone has the album.

I'm not predicting 11-13 new songs, but if they ever were going to do it.... this would be their chance.

:up:

It's a reasonable explanation!

I hope both, but definitely "Troubles" will be played with a pre-recorded Lykke Li on screen a la Lou Reed on the ZooTV tour--and I am sure she'll make a live cameo or two.

They could always play either song on rotation when playing multiple nights in the same city.

Back
Top Bottom