Tribute Band: 2U*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/112652u-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

This year they'll play nearly 200 shows to rabid fans excitedly singing along to each of their tracks. It's not U2, well, not quite, anyway. No, this band bringing little bits of U2-mania to parts of the American East Coast is 2U, which bills itself as, "The world's second best U2 show."

The band, made up of Tom Thornton on lead vocals, Joe Cumia on guitar, Ray Sicoli on drums and Pat Rotolo on bass, has been together since the summer of 2003. In that time, the members of 2U have done so well with the whole being-U2 thing that none of them have a day job.

Cumia, who is sometimes referred to as "Joedge" by his mates (Thornton being "Tombono," Sicoli "LarRay Mullen" and Rotolo "Padam Claytolo") answered some questions for Interference.com about what it's like to be part of the self-proclaimed second best U2 show in the world.

How did the band come together?

Through many auditions and rehearsals. It took two of the last three years to come up with the perfect lineup—business-wise, aesthetically and artistically

How did you come up with the name 2U?

Ray Sicoli, our drummer, came up with the name. At the time he didn't know that we'd be listed first on every website that we submitted the name to because the name starts with a number. It's also the mirror image of U2 and we take pride in being just that in every way when we perform—a mirror image of U2

What was your first memory of U2?

The Red Rocks Concert, I was so impressed with that show, I became an instant fan.

When did you first think about playing U2 songs?

About 5 years ago, right after "All That You Can't Leave Behind" hit the airwaves.

What's your favorite U2 song to perform and why?

"Pride," the solo rocks and people always sing along to that song. No matter if there's 100 or 10,000 at the show, it always gets people going.

112652u.jpg

(Image courtesy of 2U)

What is your favorite U2 era to perform and why?

The current U2 era is always the best to perform; it gives you the option of doing all of the new songs as well as any of the old ones. If you're doing a "period" show you can't really do songs from "All That You Can't Leave behind" or "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" without destroying the illusion. If I were to play "Beautiful Day" with a Quaker hat and a braided pony tail it would be like The Edge traveled in a time machine to play songs from his own future.

What are the best and most challenging parts of performing as U2?

Tom as Bono gets a lot of attention, pictures and phone numbers. Joe gets to just play and sing, which is cool. Edge doesn't have to say a word on-stage and it's a very relaxing gig.

What's your favorite performing memory?

The Hard Rock Cafe in San Juan, Puerto Rico, earlier this year. We were treated as if we were U2.

Have you ever met a member of U2?

No.

What would you like to say to U2 if you had the chance to meet the band?

"Thanks for providing me with the opportunity to make playing music my full-time living and, more importantly, thank you so much for the years of amazing music you and the guys have written. I'm glad to have had the chance to tell you how much of a profound impact you've had on my life. Thank you." Then I'd give him a big hug (in a manly way of course) and then I'd probably run into the nearest bathroom to go throw-up.

What's the best thing about being in a U2 tribute band?

Besides getting to do what you love for a living? The attention is nice, traveling is great too. Mostly it's getting to do all of the things you love to do for a living and not having to get up early in the morning.

For more information, visit www.notu2.com.

Back
Top Bottom