Touch pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
Disclaimer: the following is a work of fiction, none of which ever occurred or will occur outside of the imagination. The people represented here are either completely fictional or inspired by people whom the author has no direct knowledge of and should not be considered an accurate or truthful representation in any way. (For the alternate reality setting of this fiction, all 4 of the characters inspired by U2 are to be considered single and unwed, for both plot reasons and out of respect for the real-life counterparts wives/girlfriends and the author’s absolute inability to write about them)

I hope that I don’t fall in love with you
(Words and Music by Tom Waits)
I hope that I don’t fall in love with you
Cuz falling in love just makes me blue
Well the music plays and you display your heart for me to see
I had a beer and now I hear you calling out for me
and I hope that I don’t fall in love with you
now the night does funny things inside a man
these old tom cat feelings you don’t understand
well I turn around and look at you, you light a cigarette
wish I had the guts to bum one, but we never met
and I hope that I don’t fall in love with you…

It had been the longest week of her life. Ceili could hardly believe the energy necessary to keep up with this too lively group, especially considering that the band members themselves were more than ten years her elders. Every afternoon, after sound-checks but before the concert, she would give each of them their daily massage. She really enjoyed visiting with Bono, or rather listening to him as he regaled her with stories everyone else had tired of hearing.

Edge she had come to know as one of the sweetest, deepest, most thoughtful men in existence. He asked questions, but nothing so personal as to make her uncomfortable. More than once he’d leapt up suddenly from the table to write down a lyric which had come to mind or make some notes in the strange language of guitar tabliture or other musical drawings she could not understand.

She’d even grown accustomed to Adam’s nudity. Not comfortable, necessarily, but at least it didn’t shock her every time he moved around the room so casually with not a thread of clothing to cover himself. He was just comfortable in his own skin, and somewhere deep in her head she thought, she couldn’t really blame him. She blushed at the very thought, quickly putting it out of her mind.

Larry had indeed returned the second day, and it had been almost as difficult to maintain her cool professional reserve. Still, he had opted to remain in his jeans, even if it lessened the effectiveness of the massage. She couldn’t help but be a little hurt that he was so distrustful of her. On the third day, when she’d asked him to undo the button and loosen the waistband, he’d reluctantly done as she asked. Then on the fourth and fifth days he’d canceled his appointment. On the sixth and seventh he’d simply failed to show up.

She couldn’t help but wonder if she was simply so transparent in her attraction to him that it made him uncomfortable. It was a blow to her pride, she’d certainly not come on to the man on purpose. She wasn’t foolish enough to put herself in his league. She didn’t appreciate anyone else thinking that about her, however. She was nothing but respectful, and simple respect was all she expected in return. In fact, she was beginning to get downright angry at the man by the time he didn’t show up on the seventh day.

She’d almost worked up the courage to confront him about it. Almost. Maybe tomorrow, she thought as she decided to take advantage of the luxuries of the hotel. It was after midnight, but she was wide awake, and a few laps in the pool sounded like heaven. Swimming was her reprieve from the stress of real life, and had been since she was a small girl. Everything else melted away once she was submerged in the water, cutting through it quickly and cleanly. The strain in her muscles being relieved immediately by the healing effects of the water.

She didn’t even hear the group enter the pool area at first, she was so wrapped up in her laps. It wasn’t until she pulled herself up onto the tile edge of the pool that she realized she was no longer alone. Bono, Adam, Edge and Larry were entering the room, towels in hand, along with several other people. Roadies, a bodyguard she had been introduced to and a woman whom she’d never seen before. Just as Larry’s eyes met hers, her hand slipped and she was sent backwards into the water in a most ungraceful fashion. She came up spitting and gagging, chlorine burning her nose.

“Ceili! Are you ok?” Edge was asking, descending the pool steps quickly, hurrying to her side. She waved him off, despite the fact that she could not speak because she was still choking.

“I’m fine.” She finally managed to gasp, wishing desperately that they would all stop looking at her. She ascended the steps quickly, but carefully, having to march past the men in order to collect her towel from the poolside lounge she’d planned on relaxing in for awhile with the paperback book she’d picked up from the gift shop in the lobby.

“Ceili, this is Johanna Ginsberg, she’s with E!.” Bono was saying while Ceili tried to disappear beneath her towel. “Johanna, this is Dr. Ceili Jordan.”

“Dr.?” The taller woman asked, looking down her slender nose at the dripping woman.

“Chiropractic.” She clarified, deciding she didn’t like this woman one bit, although she had no good reason. All she had was the woman’s tall, willowy figure, dyed blonde hair and the fact that there was almost as much silicone in her lips as there was in her breasts.

“Ah.” The woman said, obviously bored with Ceili already.

“We were just going to make use of the hot tubs.” Bono informed Ceili, paying no attention whatsoever to the pretentious blonde’s obvious disinterest in her. “There are two of them, should be room. Come on in.”

“Oh, no I should be heading off to bed…” Ceili tried to argue, but Bono had an arm around her shoulder now and was guiding her purposefully toward the hot tubs at the opposite end of the pool room.
She wasn’t sure how, exactly, but despite all protestation she wound up sitting in one of the hot tubs next to Bono, across from the haughty Johanna.

Adam sank into the tub beside her, next to the blonde who was far more interested in him than she had been in Ceili. Just over Adam’s shoulder she saw Larry joining the others in the second hot tub, her heart flittering as it always did when he was near. One of the party who had not joined them in the tub made themselves busy handing out crystal flutes of champagne to those who weren’t already drinking can’s of Guinness.

“So, Sealy. Did your mother name you after the bed manufacturer?” Johanna asked snottily.

“That’s so funny, I’ve never heard that one before.” Ceili said dryly as she tasted the expensive champagne. “No, My mother named me after a song, actually.”

“What song?” Bono asked, racking his brain for any song with a reference to the name Ceili in it, and coming up blank.

“Cecilia, by Simon and Garfunkle.” She informed him, rolling her eyes.

“Cecilia you’re breaking my heart, your shaking my confidence baby!” He sang, and she sighed heavily.

“Yeah, that’s why I don’t usually use my full name. I hate that song.” She said, but Bono continued to sing and much to her chagrin, Edge provided the harmony from the other tub, Larry beating out a rhythm against the tile with the flats of his hands.

“Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia, up in my bedroom (making love) I got up to wash my face, when I come back to bed, someone’s taken my place… Cecilia!” They sang playfully, watching her face grow red.

“Yeah, well, this has been fun and all…” she said, starting to climb out of the hot tub. Bono caught her by the ankle.

“Hey come on we’ll stop. You don’t have to go.” He told her, smiling at her in that gorgeous way he knew few women could resist. “I didn’t know it would bug you so much.” She eyed him warily for a moment before sinking back into the relaxing heat.

She was actually having a good time, listening to the men laugh and joke. They were all sharing stories with the woman who claimed to be a reporter, although Ceili seriously doubted the woman could put two sentences together on her own. It wasn’t until after Bono had finished his Guinness and started in on another that the damned song came back up.

“Ok, well, that’s enough fun and games for me. See you guys tomorrow.” Ceili told them quickly, wrapping her towel around herself, and collecting her book and room key before escaping the room.

“Was it something I said?” Bono joked, although his eyes were serious as he watched the woman disappear. He hadn’t meant to offend her.

“I’d put my money on it being Adam’s fault.” One of the roadies joked.

“Adam, are you naked again?” Edge asked, laughter in his voice.

“She’d be used to that by now, I’d think.” He shot back, arching his head way back to see Edge and the others in the opposite hot tub.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Larry asked with a serious scowl.

“She sees me naked every day.” Adam replied.

“You don’t wear anything when she massages you?” Larry asked, obviously shocked and apparently dismayed at the thought. Adam laughed at his strange reaction.

“What do you wear? A three piece suit?” he returned. Larry’s only response was a scowl.

“Larry seems to be rather uncomfortable with Dr. Jordan.” Bono interjected.

“Really? You’re the main reason we hired her.” Edge said, focusing his attention on Larry now, watching his reactions carefully. “We can hire someone else, if you would rather.”

“I don’t know. Maybe.” Larry mumbled, taking a long drink of his Guinness. He didn’t want to fire her for no reason, that wouldn’t be right. Still, he needed someone to help ease the pain in his back and he hadn’t been able to go back to see her for days. First he’d felt as though his attraction to her was inappropriate but manageable. After the third session with her, he’d started having dreams the likes of which he hadn’t suffered since he was a teenager.

Now the thought of her rubbing down a completely naked Adam made his stomach twist into knots of jealousy. It was an uncomfortable situation all around. It would be one thing if she reacted to him like most women, turning flirtatious and hinting at the possibility of something more between them. She didn’t seem to see him as anything but a patient. Half the time, she seemed to be thinking of other things when she looked at him, her mind distracted. He was used to women cooing over his boyish good looks, which honestly annoyed him more than anything, but at least he knew how to handle that. Ceili was a total mystery to him.

It didn’t take long for word to spread through the band’s entourage that Ceili’s job was in jeopardy, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out who the one who was dissatisfied was. Ceili’s temper was difficult to reach, but once she lost it, there was no force on the planet which stood a chance against her. She was about to hunt Larry down and confront him when she received a page on the brand new beeper the band had provided her when she was hired. She dialed the number and was informed that she was needed upstairs, and it sounded like it was something of an emergency. Larry lay on his back on the floor of his hotel room, his face twisted up in obvious pain when she arrived.

“What happened?” She asked, kneeling quickly at his side.

“It’s just a muscle spasm.” He replied through gritted teeth. “I told them not to call you.”

“I’m sure you did.” She said disgustedly. “Look, I don’t know what it is you have against me, but I can help you.”

“I’m all right.” He argued, even though it was obvious he was anything but.

“Stubborn ass!” she muttered, her patience wearing thin and going the way of her lost temper. She slid one hand under his back and the other cradled his neck. He reached up to push her away but she held fast, her hand sliding quickly along his spine to get a feel for what was wrong.

“I said I’m bloody fine!” he told her, but as she moved her hands out from under him he winced visibly. She sighed at his attempt to be macho.

“Roll over.” She ordered.

“No!”

“Either roll over and let me adjust you peacefully or make me do this the hard way, while holding you down.” She snapped, ignoring the snickers from the people who’d gathered to watch, concerned for Larry. He glowered up at her for a moment, trying to decide if she was ready to back up her threats. “Don’t think for a second I won’t do it, either.” She added. Finally either her tone of voice convinced him or perhaps the pain just overcame his inhibitions, but he rolled over on the hard floor, resting his head on his hands.

Ceili moved quickly, straddling his hips and using the heels of her hands to apply pressure to his lower back. She pressed firmly, straight down and he groaned almost painfully as the lumbar section of his spine realigned.

“Now,” she said as she moved off of him. “Are you going to come downstairs and let me finish this the right way, on a proper table, or do you prefer the floor? And don’t say you’re fine.”

“I’ll come downstairs.” He grumbled, his silvery eyes as gray as storm clouds. She turned on her heel and marched out, her red hair fanning out behind her as she went.

“I’ve never seen her like that before. What did you do to make her so mad?” Edge asked as he helped his friend to his feet.

“Nothing!” he argued. “She just doesn’t like me. Hasn’t since the day we met.”

“I don’t know about that.” Edge thought to himself, making a mental note to pay a little closer attention to the going’s on between these two.

“Get undressed.” Ceili told him curtly from the bathroom, where she was washing her hands. “You can leave your underwear on, but get rid of the jeans, I’m going to make sure you get a proper massage today.” Larry considered turning and leaving for the briefest of moments, but he would have felt like a coward for doing so. He sighed and did as she asked, then laying on the table. He needed to get past this adolescent anti-crush which he’d developed, it was ridiculous.

The image of the gorgeous man lying on her table in his black bikini briefs was nearly enough to knock Ceili right off her feet. If she wasn’t steeled by her determination to be allowed to do her job correctly, she might have fled the room herself. Instead, she walked quickly across the room, rubbing some warming oil into her hands as she did. She draped the sheet over his lower half, leaving his back exposed to her. She felt him tense under her touch as she started in small, firm circles in the center of his back.

“You know, I haven’t had the chance to do my job correctly. If you’re going to fire me, it’s only fair that you allow me to give you a thorough massage and adjustment first.” She told him coolly.

“Fire you? Who said anything about bloody firing anybody?” He asked, and she could actually hear him scowling.

“It’s not exactly a small entourage you guys have following you around, but word does spread quickly. Especially when it concerns the newest members of the crew, whom everyone is still sizing up anyway.” She informed him, pressing maybe just a little bit harder than necessary.

“Ow!” he objected. “If this is your idea of a good massage, then maybe you should be fired.” He complained.

“Sorry.” She mumbled, backing off a bit and working her way up along his sides. He flinched as she reached a ticklish spot and she suppressed a smile. “Look, I don’t know what I did to make you uncomfortable. I’ve done the best you would allow me to do…”

“It’s not you, you’re fine.” He told her darkly.

“Then why would you avoid me?” She asked, moving to rub down one muscular arm from the shoulder to the palm of his hand.

“I …” he started, but found himself at a loss for words. Larry was a very honest person, but that didn’t mean the truth was always easy. Ceili moved around to massage his other arm while she waited for him to continue. “I wasn’t entirely comfortable with you because…” He drew in a breath in surprise as she shifted the sheet to cover his back and began working her way up one leg.

“Because…” she urged.

“I wasn’t expecting a beautiful woman when they told me they’d hired a doctor to help me with my back problems.” He finally said, and she stopped dead in her tracks, like an animal caught in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle. “Ceili?” he asked after nothing happened for a long moment.

“Uhh, wow. Ok, I wasn’t expecting that one.” She admitted, starting to work on his calves again. She wouldn’t have been more surprised if he had told her he was really a Martian clone, afraid she’d discover his secret. “That might have been a good excuse, if I were beautiful. I’ve come to grips with what I am though, and beautiful is not on that list. What’s really wrong?”

At this, Larry rolled over onto his side, propped up on his elbow so he could look at her.

“You’re serious, aren’t you?” He asked, disbelief clear in his accented voice. Damn, she thought, why did he have to be sexy even when he was irritated? The way his lips curled when he talked was too much. “You really have no idea.”

“Ok, I’m not one of your ‘groupies’ or whatever… so I don’t need you to charm me with pretty words.” Ceili started, feeling the blood rush to her cheeks and wanting desperately to get this situation back under control. “Besides that, I’m a Doctor and you are my patient. Nothing more. We have the same code of ethics as MD’s, no fraternizing with the patients.”

“Right.” He said, his eyes washing over her as if seeing her for the first time.

“Lay back down and let me finish, please.” She asked, and he did so. She finished his massage in silence, realigning his vertebrae the same way she had before as the final step. This time, however, as he was seated on the table, he turned to look at her. The intensity in his eyes was heavy, made it hard to breathe even. He leaned in close to her, until there was only an inch or less between their faces, and she could feel his breath against her lips.

She could feel every pulse point in her body bounding with the force of her heart, everything in her centered on the sensation of his heat radiating into her. Her breathing was becoming shallow, rapid, just at the promise in his eyes. She swallowed hard over the lump in her throat as he started to reach for her, surely to draw her in closer to him and complete the kiss which had been hovering there for several long seconds. She flinched as his hand slid up into her soft hair, and she stepped back, averting her eyes to the floor.

“I’m your doctor.” She told him again, kicking herself mentally for being an idiot. What was she so afraid of? Larry blinked at her, the enchantment between them broken and leaving him in a daze.

“Right.” He said curtly. “Right. Sorry.” He told her as he stood and moved to gather his discarded clothes.

“It’s ok. It’s not uncommon, to think there’s something more to a massage.” She said, immediately wishing she could take it back. There was more! She wanted this man more than anything she’d desired in her entire life! But he was off limits. She had to remind herself of that, to stay professional.

“Yeah, sure.” He agreed numbly, his mind spinning around the strange chain of events.

“So, do I still have a job?” She asked, half hoping he would say no so she could declare her attraction to him without the tricky rules of ethics getting in the way.

“Yeah, yeah of course.” He replied as he slid his shirt back on and slipped into his shoes.

“Make sure you come back tomorrow, then, ok? You really can’t skip, with your back like it is.” She told him, and he nodded in silent agreement before slipping out the door. As soon as the door closed behind him, Ceili grabbed hold of the discarded sheet and twisted it tightly into knots out of frustration with herself. She wanted to scream, yell, jump up and down in disgust and anger and disappointment. Larry stood just outside in the hallway with his fingers rubbing the bridge of his nose as he fought of his own frustration. He felt like an absolute idiot.

“Better?” Edge asked, walking down the hall to find him standing there by Ceili’s door.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah. Much better.” He replied, his tone of voice leaving Edge wondering why he sounded like he was not better at all.

Wonderfully written.
I really like it, can't wait to read more!

Ooooh! I really like this. Haven't had a Larry fic for some time. Great story!

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom