Top Of The Pops performance was great!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi guys! I've just watched the band play their new single, Vertigo, on TV (Top of The Pops). They certainly look like they enjoyed their performance - Bono especially. He and Edge were really up for it! Disappointing that the band didn't play live (well, that's how it appeared to me, anyway), but pleased to see that Bono was singing live.

On a pertinent point, I read another review of the new album in one of the UK's newspapers today - The Daily Mail. They said that "the band have delivered another winner." They gave a great review and said the band are in "explosive form". Roll on 22 November......

what a bomb! said:
A faultless performance! the boys sounded in great form! A good bit as Bono is singing all of this can be yours he walks down to the crowd and after the line "just give me what I want and no one gets hurt" he bit a fans hand! lol, remember him doing this for elevation in the totp studios! gotta play it again now!

OMG...that's a dream come true--he musta read my Tshirt idea for this tour (lol) ....Oh how I love "Biting Bono".... :drool:

I think they did perform live, they always do when they can so for TOTPS they surely make demands.
It is possible that they have some things recorded but they certainly played and sang live.

i can't believe this stupid show is still on.
it's 2004 and they still use music from the cd as background?
what the fuck!!!!
playbacks really piss me off!!!
:mad:

The band was absolutely amazing, but I thought Bono's voice was....ordinary. He didn't hit the high notes too well. :|

Last edited:
Pre-show they sound-checked all the instruments, so I'd have thought it was live. For anyone wondering what they did..

Pre-TOTP broadcast -
Vertigo
All Because of You
The City of Blinding Lights

Off for 20 minutes, then back for
Vertigo
All Because of You
Desire
She's a Mystery to Me
The City of Blinding Lights

Only the 2nd Vertigo was broadcast, the other new songs taped for future shows.

Phalanx said:
The band was absolutely amazing, but I thought Bono's voice was....ordinary. He didn't hit the high notes too well. :|

The operator of the @U2 website says that Bono has been sick all week with a very bad cold, which would explain the problems with his voice. Bad time for the poor guy to get ill!:(

I don't know about the whole voice issues. Bono sounded pretty good to me. Certainly better than most of the Boston DVD show...

He seemed to nail "feel" pretty well for a sick guy...

mkdominatr said:
Will we get to hear the other songs or is that just tuff luck if you werent there?

ABOY & The City... were taped for future TOTP's, so don't expect the others to ever be broadcast.

Damn, that just got me so excited for the tour. :up: I dig the hat and the coat.

I thought it was immense- really got enthused by their performance and I am looking forward to the new album coming out.

I thought it was a GREAT performance by U2!:yes:

Gosh, it was just good to see them together and enjoying performing together.

I give U2 a lot of credit for performing outside in less than perfect weather.:bow:

Let's just all be glad that we have U2 back!

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:happy:

Jamila said:
I thought it was a GREAT performance by U2!:yes:

Gosh, it was just good to see them together and enjoying performing together.

I give U2 a lot of credit for performing outside in less than perfect weather.:bow:

Let's just all be glad that we have U2 back!

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:happy:

IT WAS KARAOKE!!!!! the only one not pre-recorded was Bono

I really don't think we are gonna see the other performances released until after the album comes out.....
And if anyone else did a better\longer recording, it would have probably been out by now. So we'll have to make do with the clips we have for a long while.

SmileyGladhands said:
just for the one song man. Vertigo was the only one performed ala Karaoke.

i'm sorry i didn't know...but why did they choose to perform Vertigo a la karaoke? couldn't they perfom it live like the other songs?

Well I have clearly been at the wrong TOTP performance as I was at the front directly in front of Bono!!!

I havent seen the TOTP broadcast yet as we didnt get home until 2.30am this morning(500mile road trip!) it was all played LIVE Bonos voice failed and everyone laughed and went AAH!!

Bono was on great form ALL the band were smiling we even got a smile twice and a wave off LARRY!!!!

One of the greatest bits for us apart from the fab performance was we shouted to Adam and he looked and smiled and then did a double take laughed and waved and said "oh hello there!" He had remembered us how cool is that??!!

We managed to get about 15 great sneaky photos as the security man was a git!!

Oh by the way I've got Larrys drumsticks and they are well battered!!!!!:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom