To Axver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
A question: The Lovetown shows.

What were they?
What made them great?
When were they?
Why do you love them?
Is there a website where I could listen to one?

Now this'll be fun to respond to. Give me a bit here, you may have an essay on your hands.

OK, I've answered the two basic what/when questions, and I'm about to do the next three.

What were they?
The Lovetown concerts were a series of 47 shows performed after the release of Rattle And Hum. U2 initially planned to commence The Joshua Tree Tour in New Zealand as a tribute to Greg Carroll (whose death inspired the song One Tree Hill), but as the recording sessions for The Joshua Tree finished later than expected, the band were forced to commence the tour in Arizona instead. After playing three legs of the Joshua Tree Tour, returning to the studio to record a new album, and releasing a movie, U2 fulfilled their promise to play in New Zealand and to bring the show to other parts of the world by scheduling the Lovetown Tour. As it did not come immediately after the release of RAH (the movie/album came out in November 1988 but the tour did not start until September 1989), the tour was not a promotional one such as we'd know with ZooTV or Vertigo - it was more a nod to the fans, the fulfillment of a commitment, and a celebration of a decade of U2.

When were they?
OK, this is a good test of my memory:
21 September 1989, Perth, Australia
22 September 1989, Perth, Australia
23 September 1989, Perth, Australia
27 September 1989, Sydney, Australia
28 September 1989, Sydney, Australia
29 September 1989, Sydney, Australia
2 October 1989, Brisbane, Australia
3 October 1989, Brisbane, Australia
4 October 1989, Brisbane, Australia
7 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
8 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
9 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
12 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
13 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
14 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
16 October 1989, Melbourne, Australia
20 October 1989, Sydney, Australia
21 October 1989, Sydney, Australia
27 October 1989, Adelaide, Australia
28 October 1989, Adelaide, Australia
4 November 1989, Christchurch, New Zealand
8 November 1989, Wellington, New Zealand
10 November 1989, Auckland, New Zealand
11 November 1989, Auckland, New Zealand
17 November 1989, Sydney, Australia
18 November 1989, Sydney, Australia
19 November 1989, Sydney, Australia
23 November 1989, Yokohama, Japan
25 November 1989, Tokyo, Japan
26 November 1989, Tokyo, Japan
28 November 1989, Osaka, Japan
29 November 1989, Osaka, Japan
1 December 1989, Osaka, Japan
11 December 1989, Paris, France
12 December 1989, Paris, France
14 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
15 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
16 December 1989, Dortmund, Germany
18 December 1989, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
26 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
27 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
30 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
31 December 1989, Dublin, Ireland
5 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
6 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
9 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
10 January 1990, Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Not too hard.

Trivia:
- Three concerts were cancelled after 21 September 1989, Sydney due to trouble with Bono's voice. They were rescheduled to 17-19 November 1989.
- One of those rescheduled shows, 18 November 1989, had a bomb threat that meant the entire audience had to be evacuated. The resulting show from U2 was very passionate and energetic, and is one of the few shows from the Lovetown tour to have proshot video footage circulating of it.
- Until this tour, Sydney held the record for the most concerts on a single tour, with eight. New York has now equalled that figure. Melbourne still holds the record for most shows in a single city in a row, with seven.
- Acrobat was born at an Auckland soundcheck.
- Approximately 1 in 10 Cantabrians saw the concert in Christchurch, and although the show actually failed to sell out, it remains the largest concert held in Christchurch.
- The 18 December 1989 show in Amsterdam was cut short due to Bono having trouble with his voice. Shows for the next two days were cancelled and replaced with the four Rotterdam shows in early January.
- A fifth Dublin show was initially scheduled for 29 December 1989 but cancelled at an early stage to give U2 more time off.
- On a personal note, the Rotterdam show on the 9th is the only time U2 played on my girlfriend's birthday and the show on the 10th is the closest U2 have gotten to playing on my birthday BEFORE the date (the 17th) - 23 January 1985, Drammen, Norway is the closest afterwards.

Wow!

Thanks alot. You are really passonate about these shows then.

THe Acrobat fact is very interesting!

Thankyou very much!

On with the info!

Hey Axver and basically Lovetown is the tour in which Bono blew out his voice. The doctors called it a "virus", but basically he over extended his voice throughout the tour. It was also the end of U2 Mach I, as with Zoo TV U2 took on a completely different road, musically and visually.

I still hold that the January 10, 1990 show is one of the best U2 shows ever. Easily the best tour ending show. Great performance, setlist and the energy of that show was amazing. The end of an era.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

I still hold that the January 10, 1990 show is one of the best U2 shows ever. Easily the best tour ending show. Great performance, setlist and the energy of that show was amazing. The end of an era.

:yes: :up:

What made them great?
This question's really hard for me to answer without inserting my own biases, but I'll try. The tour began just after the tenth anniversary of U2's first release - U2:3 - and was a celebration of a decade of U2. It demonstrated their mastery of their eighties catalogue, and the varied sets - partly a result of Larry's desire not to be a jukebox, partly because of the large number of shows played in a single city - helped to vividly portray this mastery as well as adding a unique character to each show and the tour. No other tour in U2's history has had setlist variation (especially in order) like Lovetown: the best example of this in my opinion is the so-called 'backwards set' of 1 December 1989, Osaka.

Furthermore, despite suffering vocal difficulties at some shows, Bono's voice, when healthy, was in what some consider to be its best ever form. It was powerful, strong, passionate, and able to cover a broad range. I feel concerts such as 26 December 1989 illustrate this vividly in songs such as Streets and One Tree Hill.

Why do you love them?
I was first attracted to Lovetown because of the setlists. The variety in both songs and order intrigued me. Then when I actually heard them - wow! The band was on fire! I was absolutely amazed by how awesome the concerts sounded, even though there is a lack of exceptional recordings. It is my opinion that the four Dublin shows may just be the very peak of U2's career. I love U2's eighties output, and the entire tour was a celebration of this, with U2 performing some of the best renditions of their eighties output that you're ever going to hear. The element of darkness that I actually like in the nineties was creeping in (I don't like the masks, but I like the darkness of Acrobat), but contrasted with the earnest passion of eighties Bono. A lot of people (for reasons I don't understand) find the Bono of the eighties to be overbearing, but I like his honesty, determination, and passion.

To put things very simply, Lovetown is the perfect music for me. If you were trying to make music that's a perfect fit to my ears, odds are you would create something like Lovetown.

Is there a website where I can listen to one?
www.u2torrents.com probably has some Lovetown torrents. I should torrent some of my own stuff as the world needs more Lovetown (I have about half the tour). There's probably plenty of sites with MP3s but I don't download MP3-sourced bootlegs so I wouldn't know any addresses.

Some concert/bootleg notes:
- There is very little available in the way of proshot footage. Off the top of my head, there's some news crew footage of roughly five songs from 27 September 1989, Sydney; a documentary including a good few songs from 18 November 1989, Sydney; and Streets and most of I Will Follow from 31 December 1989, Dublin.
- There are tragically few good recordings of the Southern Hemisphere leg even though U2 were on fire at the time. There's some good remasters of some of the Melbourne shows, though, and the complete audio of 18 November 1989 is very good quality and includes a sensational Knockin' On Heaven's Door.
- There are soundboard recordings of all four Dublin shows, perfect quality and everything.
- The 30 December 1989, Dublin show has the "we need to go away and dream it all up again" speech at the start of Love Rescue Me that ultimately led to the change of direction in Achtung Baby.

Hope these answers adequately answered your questions and were informative. :)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Hey Axver and basically Lovetown is the tour in which Bono blew out his voice. The doctors called it a "virus", but basically he over extended his voice throughout the tour. It was also the end of U2 Mach I, as with Zoo TV U2 took on a completely different road, musically and visually.

Bono was definitely over-using his voice, doing things he shouldn't have. At the shows where his voice is in good form, he sounds AMAZING, incredible power and ability. But listen to 18 December 1989, Amsterdam, and his voice just totally dies during God Part II. I still think, even at the weaker shows, his voice was far, far superior to his Popmart voice - or even that of Elevation. Nothing for me is going to beat Bono's Lovetown voice, though I know plenty would disagree with me.

Regarding what was wrong, I do believe he actually picked up a bug in Australia - he described it as some "pretty psychadelic germs" that were "having their annual general meeting in [his] throat". That just helped to make things worse. After the Amsterdam show, the doctor told him if he sung the next night, he could completely destroy his voice.

Agreed! Only the second 11 O'clock Tick Tock of Lovetown, third Out Of Control of Lovetown, and the last performances of both for over 10 years. Not to mention Edge shredding Desire and the second Slow Dancing ever, almost four years before its release!

AMAZING show!

I'd also like to say that I still rue the fact I missed Wellington Lovetown. My father and my uncle both went! I was nearly three, I could've gone! :mad:

That's the last time U2 played in Wellington, and the great Athletic Park is no more. The site is now used for a retirement village. :sad:

Damn, Axver. You've made me want to dig out my Lovetown boots and listen to them RIGHT NOW! Great posts.

Here's a question for you, Axver: What is the biggest/main difference between Lovetown and the JT Tour, that makes Lovetown that much better?

corianderstem said:
Damn, Axver. You've made me want to dig out my Lovetown boots and listen to them RIGHT NOW! Great posts.

Enjoy the Perfectow- I mean Lovetown goodness. :)

Here's a very incomplete list of notable Lovetown moments that I feel like posting:

- Desire --> shredding solo --> All Along The Watchtower, 27 September 1989, Sydney. Although Edge shredded Desire at multiple shows, I think this one is the very best.
- Hawkmoon 269, whenever it opened (eight instances total). One of U2's very best openers with a gorgeous slide solo from Edge.
- Van Diemen's Land's debut on 9 October 1989 in Melbourne. Melbourne is across the Bass Strait from Van Diemen's Land (better known now as Tasmania) and is the closest U2 have come to performing the song there. U2 have never played in Tasmania, the only Australian state they have missed (they have also missed the two mainland territories, Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory).
- One Tree Hill in New Zealand, especially Auckland (the location of the actual One Tree Hill).
- Amazing God Part II on 23 November 1989, Yokohama, continuing past the "STOP!"
- Slow Dancing's debut on 1 December 1989, a week shy of four years before its official release!
- One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989, what I consider to be U2's greatest moment ever.
- Streets, 26 and 30 December 1989.
- She's A Mystery To Me, two of the three full band performances (the third was last year at the Brooklyn Bridge), and I think the first one on the 30th of December is the very best, definitive version. This song was never released officially, but was done by Roy Orbison.
- The entire final show on 10 January 1990.

namkcuR said:
Here's a question for you, Axver: What is the biggest/main difference between Lovetown and the JT Tour, that makes Lovetown that much better?

A few things:
- I feel Bono's voice had gotten stronger and the band even tighter. They'd seriously mastered not just their older material, but also the JT/RAH stuff too.
- The song selection and more varied setlists. Some of the RAH stuff seriously came alive - JT sure didn't have anything like God Part II.
- BB King joining them for the encore.
- I feel there was also a greater spontaneity, very powerful emotion (especially in NZ), and a strong connection with the fans.

The JT Tour, by the way, is my second-favourite.

Ah, Axver my man, you've made all nostalgic. I still believe the 2 shows in Adelaide were the best ever shows by U2 I've ever seen. Bono had got his voice back and he was ON FIRE!!! One of the guys we met camping out the night before got pulled on stage to play Bono's guitar - actually that's wrong, he jumped the barrier and ran on stage, risking a beating from the bouncers for his efforts :wink:

I've got a cassette of the first night and to hear Bono yell "I can sing!!!!" still gives me shivers. (wish I had video of Bono falling over though :lol: )

Five stars!!!!

Its a damn shame that the recordings of the first leg are not so good. (Except for the Darren Glen remasters). I have no doubt that U2 were musicly at their live peak during those 1st leg Lovetown shows. On one of the Melbourne remasters when Bono yells "and the hour is getting laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate" gives me shivers everytime I hear it!

Another random fact I know:

The final Dublin show was originally planned to be aired liv on TV, but for some reason they changed it at the last minute and put it on the radio instead

Axver said:
It demonstrated their mastery of their eighties catalogue, and the varied sets - partly a result of Larry's desire not to be a jukebox

Didn't these show not give Larry the feeling that they were a jukebox. Put a penny in it and choose a random song. No matter what they play when they play it, the public will clap.
I think he even used the example of the 'backwards setlist' to emphasize his jukebox comment.

:shrug:

The 6th January show in Rotterdam is my favourite boot at the moment. Awesome performance. Also sadly the last time The Unforgettable Fire was played. They should really have brough that song back with the recent Hiroshima anniversary

from what i've heard from mp3's and what not, bono's voice was at his absolute peak during lovetown.

I'd like to chime in on the LoveTown appreciation, I think it has already been covered before, but thanks for all the info nonetheless. I can't quite remember which Rotterdam show I went to, originally we were going to attend the December 21st show in Amsterdam. I'll see if I can find out...

From what I heard at the time, the A'dam shows were cancelled not just due to Bono's health, but also the other guys, if Edge had been able to sing, they wouldn't have cut the first A'dam show short.

I don't have many bootlegs, but the LoveTown from the Netherlands double CD is one ("All I want is U2")
I got it pretty soon after the show, quality is pretty good, but they used the same EQ/exciter-settings on all.
Most of it (19 tracks including 11 O'clock, VDL, NYD,bad,Streets, SLow dancing BTBS, Desire) is from January 10th.
MLK, One tree Hill, Gloria and God pt2 were added from January 9th. The Unforgettable Fire (an excellent version but EQ-ing is not optimal) She's a Mystery, WOWY are from January 6th
Hawkmoon is the only Amsterdam track on the 2CDs. (poor quality unfortunately)

@Axver,

my CD booklet shows a slightly different list of venues:
*added: October 17, Melbourne, National Tennis Centre
*missing: November 10, Auckland, Western Springs
*added: December 13 Dortmund, Westfalenhalle
*missing: December 16 Dortmund, Westfalenhalle
*added: December 29 Dublin, the Point
Any notes on the differences? Also, could you tell me the originally scheduled Amsterdam dates?

btw venues were:
Perth, Entertainment Centre (?)
Sydney, Entertainment Centre (?)
Brsibane, Entertainment Centre (?)
Melbourne, National Tennis Centre
Adelaide, Memorial Drive Stadium
Christchurch, Lancaster Park
Wellington, Athletic Park
Auckland, Western Springs
Yokohama, Sport Arena
Tokyo, Tokyo Dome
Osaka, Castle Hall
Paris, Palais Omnisport de Bercy
Dortmund, Westfalenhalle
Amsterdam, Amsterdam RAI
Dublin, the Point
Rotterdam, Sportpaleis Ahoy

eviltwin said:
I'd like to chime in on the LoveTown appreciation, I think it has already been covered before, but thanks for all the info nonetheless. I can't quite remember which Rotterdam show I went to, originally we were going to attend the December 21st show in Amsterdam. I'll see if I can find out...

:huh: According to the U2: Live book the three Amsterdam shows were originally planned for 18, 19 & 20 December. So there was no concert on the 21st.

my CD booklet shows a slightly different list of venues:
*added: October 17, Melbourne, National Tennis Centre
*missing: November 10, Auckland, Western Springs
*added: December 13 Dortmund, Westfalenhalle
*missing: December 16 Dortmund, Westfalenhalle
*added: December 29 Dublin, the Point
Any notes on the differences? Also, could you tell me the originally scheduled Amsterdam dates?

All the information below is from the U2: Live book.
The October 17 concert did not take place. Apparently, it was printed in the official tour book...
The November 10 concert did take place. It could be that this date wasn't included in the official tour book, since it was put on sale after the concert of the 11th had sold out. BTW, only 20,000 tickets were sold for this day (the 10th) for the 60,000 capacity stadium.
The Dortmund concerts were 14, 15 and 16 December.
The concert of 29 December was originally planned, but a few days before tickets went on sale it was announced that this concert would not take place. This was done to give Bono's voice a rest.

And all the venue names you mentioned are correct. :)

Popmartijn said:

:huh: According to the U2: Live book the three Amsterdam shows were originally planned for 18, 19 & 20 December. So there was no concert on the 21st.

[...]

And all the venue names you mentioned are correct. :)

Thnks for the quick reply, I was going from memory and it didn't actually take place :wink: , but the 21st was what I remembered...sorry.

Come to think of it, I wonder what things I still have from that tour, T-shirt, poster, ticket? At least the bootleg is accounted for...

Axver, for someone who has never heard a Lovetown performance, which would be the best to get? The final show, January 10th?

mobvok said:
Axver, for someone who has never heard a Lovetown performance, which would be the best to get? The final show, January 10th?

My personal recommendation would be 26 December 1989, Dublin, which I believe has the best performances ever of Streets and One Tree Hill - not to mention that I think God Part II was an awesome opener.

10 January 1990, Rotterdam is also VERY worth your while. Amazing performance of Desire, rare Slow Dancing, and of course the stellar encore. All four Dublin shows are soundboard quality, though, while the Rotterdam ones are from the audience (but very good).

And thanks to Marty, it seems I don't need to answer eviltwin's questions. :wink:

I would love to have the Rotterdam show. I only have 2 Point Depot shows and one from Melbourne. Any ideas where some others could be found?

BTW - I'm kind of an amatuer at this, so I don't know how it compares to a lot of others, but I think the Dec. 26 version of All Along the Watchtower is AMAZING!

I don't have any Lovetown recordings. Any chance someone would be so kind as to ysi it (or other non-torrent)? Or B&P? I got blanks. Pleassssssssssssse!!:(

kellyo said:
I would love to have the Rotterdam show. I only have 2 Point Depot shows and one from Melbourne. Any ideas where some others could be found?

BTW - I'm kind of an amatuer at this, so I don't know how it compares to a lot of others, but I think the Dec. 26 version of All Along the Watchtower is AMAZING!

There may still be some active Lovetown torrents on U2torrents.com ... :shrug:

27 September, 26 and 30 December 1989 are the three performances of All Along The Watchtower that I point to as the best ever. I tend to go for the 30th over the 26th simply because the soundboard of that show is a little crisper. Both performances are perfect for showing people U2 can cover All Along The Watchtower sensationally, rather than the mediocre performance on Rattle And Hum.

By the way, I was just thinking of another reason why Lovetown was great: no One, no Vertigo, just quality songs one after another.

And heck, Streets didn't even make every show.

Back
Top Bottom