To Answer The Last Thread's Question, No (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IALW only gets talked about by a vocal minority. Majority of fans do not hate the song.
Sometimes, the majority is wrong. :angry:
:wink:
Seriously, though: I wouldn't say I hate IALW, but it definitely seems more suited to (relatively) intimate arena gigs than it is to the Claw. This, along with ATYCLB's overexposure on 360, is why I get annoyed when it's in setlist after setlist after setlist (it would be fine as a rarity, though).
Also, I still haven't entirely forgiven it for replacing YBR.

IALW is a great little album song. When it comes to live performances outside of, say, a club show, it's probably best left to a snippet. That doesn't mean the song itself sucks; it's just not suited for performance at a rock show in front of 10,000 to 100,000 people.

Lillywhite's now involved in Spider-Man, so I think the most likely thing is really that he was there to discuss what's been going on while they've been in South America & perhaps get some tweaks on the new songs done with them. That doesn't mean that he couldn't have been doing work on new U2 songs with them, nor on any potential dvd. It just seems most likely to me, however, that the main point was probably Spider-Man, since that's a clusterfuck hot mess ticking time bomb, whereas everything officially U2-related seems to have no real deadline.

In A Little While is one of my favorite U2 songs, I don't understand the hatred towards it.

I will concede that it's the last song I'd want to hear at a 360 show, though, which is supposed to be high energy and technology driven. In A Little While is a song for a club or an arena (I thought it worked well on the Elevation tour).

Speaking of live songs, I wish they'd recorded Even Better Than The Real Thing the same way they're playing it live now, because it is fucking killer.

Something to keep this thread going a little while yet, Willie williams confirms the band ARE recording, from his diary:

The band was supposed to be doing some recording then getting onto the stage around 8pm. The only slight claw in the flan was that around 6pm the heavens opened. The sky had been darkening for a while then, in a moment, it dumped an inconceivable quantity of water onto the stadium, and it just kept coming. It was like a monsoon, only heavier, and kept it up for hours. At a moment like that the crew instantly goes into “Poseidon Adventure” mode, covers being thrown on, flaps being zipped up and, at extreme moments like this, a huge blue tarpaulin is pulled out to envelop the entire stage area.

apparently we are not groovy enough: U2: 'Our Fans Aren't Groovy Enough' - Spinner

"Look, sometimes our audience isn't as groovy as we'd like," he told Rolling Stone (via Gibson). "'Get on Your Boots,' as it was released, is a sort of crossover, half-club, half-indie-rock record. People are not sure about the club side of U2. They want 'Vertigo,' and when we did this the last time -- with 'Discotheque,' from Pop -- they didn't like it either."

:sad: :angry:

Something to keep this thread going a little while yet, Willie williams confirms the band ARE recording, from his diary:

The band was supposed to be doing some recording then getting onto the stage around 8pm. The only slight claw in the flan was that around 6pm the heavens opened. The sky had been darkening for a while then, in a moment, it dumped an inconceivable quantity of water onto the stadium, and it just kept coming. It was like a monsoon, only heavier, and kept it up for hours. At a moment like that the crew instantly goes into “Poseidon Adventure” mode, covers being thrown on, flaps being zipped up and, at extreme moments like this, a huge blue tarpaulin is pulled out to envelop the entire stage area.

Wow, i'm surprised they're still persevering with recording. If it's just the band recording, as opposed to being in a studio/with a producer/getting to the mastering stage, then it's probably just them messing around.
Although, Lillywhite was there, and it could just be overdubs being recorded, so maybe it's more far along than that...

But i still find it hard to believe that the band would release anything right after a massive tour... it would be cool, but i just couldn't see it. Maybe they're recording something for spiderman, or something to be played over a particular song for the next leg of the tour - that seems more likely.

I wish someone had the balls to tell Bono the reason why U2's "audience" (hate that word, why can't they just say "fans"?) didn't like GOYB is because it's a crap song. No mystery behind it. And Bono using the word "groovy" makes him sound like a dinosaur with no business talking about club/indie music. Yeah, he was drunk.

appears that adam is a hell of a lot more logical when it comes to Boots than boner is...

Bassist Adam Clayton said he thinks the music works well on stage, but puts any album problems to over-production in the studio.

"It's a common U2 problem. I think we probably worked on it and worked on it and worked on it, and instead of executing one idea well, I think we had probably five ideas in the song, and it just confused people. They weren't sure what they were hearing."

Lillywhite's now involved in Spider-Man, so I think the most likely thing is really that he was there to discuss what's been going on while they've been in South America & perhaps get some tweaks on the new songs done with them. That doesn't mean that he couldn't have been doing work on new U2 songs with them, nor on any potential dvd. It just seems most likely to me, however, that the main point was probably Spider-Man, since that's a clusterfuck hot mess ticking time bomb, whereas everything officially U2-related seems to have no real deadline.

Willie's latest diary entry states that the band "was doing some recording," in Sao Paulo.

I think you're all right and you're all wrong. :wink:

Boots suffered from an odd lyric. Plain and simple.

U2's audience unfortunately for the most part isn't groovy enough.

And yes Adam you tend to overwork songs... now stop doing that! :madwife:

I'm plenty groovy. I'd argue that Boots isn't "groovy" in the way that Bono says it is.

And I like the song.

Registered Dude said:
Willie's latest diary entry states that the band "was doing some recording," in Sao Paulo.

Yup, just saw that this morning in this thread. Cool stuff.

Adam is the only member of U2 who I truly respect these days. If there's one member of U2 who doesn't live in an idealistic bubble where every decision the band make is "great", it's Adam.

Adam is the only member of U2 who I truly respect these days. If there's one member of U2 who doesn't live in an idealistic bubble where every decision the band make is "great", it's Adam.

Comments like this make me laugh...

First of all who wants their rock stars to be "grounded" and not idealistic?

Secondly it's funny because just a couple of years ago Larry and Adam were the enemies because we found out they were the ones championing the more "pop oriented less experimental" songs.

How fickle we are...

it's not so much that GOBY is grounded vs. idealistic but more that it's wishful thinking vs. reality. a song is good or it isn't, and while Boots has many interesting parts, it's much less than the sum of it's parts, which is why people didn't respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom