The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
I finally got around to the new album. After three spins I'm still not warming up to "St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air)" but otherwise I'm very happy with it, :yes: It's good to see that Jack and Meg are as playful, eccentric and willing to experiment as ever. Current favourites:

Icky Thump
Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn (at first I went ughhh bagpipes but it really is a lovely song)
Rag And Bone

I'm Slowly Turning Into You is still my favorite song from Icky Thump. There's nothing i really haven't taken too...I'm still enjoying the whole thing!

Hmm...my favorites off the album...

Icky Thump
You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As Your Told)
Conquest
Rag and Bone
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Effect and Cause

:D

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
Hmm...my favorites off the album...

Icky Thump
You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As Your Told)
Conquest
Rag and Bone
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Effect and Cause

:D

add Little Cream Soda and we're in complete agreement :up:

This album just gets better and better everytime I listen to it! My favourites so far are Icky Thump and Effect And Cause.

Does anybody think the the Icky Thump guitar part reminds a little of Mocy Dick by Led Zeppelin? It just occured to me on the other day... (I don't know if this was already discussed...)

annie_vox said:
This album just gets better and better everytime I listen to it! My favourites so far are Icky Thump and Effect And Cause.

Does anybody think the the Icky Thump guitar part reminds a little of Mocy Dick by Led Zeppelin? It just occured to me on the other day... (I don't know if this was already discussed...)

I agree, it sounds better with every single listen. I'm with imp13 - the second half is gold! That stretch of Little Cream Soda through to Cause and Effect really makes the album for me. Standout from the first half is 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues.

And yeah, that riff sounds very similar to Moby Dick. Lots of nods to Zeppelin in this one. Lots of nods to classic rock in general, actually.

AOD, it's only two weeks until our show! :hyper: I'll have to stroll over and say hi before the gig starts.

And Zeppelin probably got the Moby Dick riff from another band anyway! Good times all around.

Nowww Meg, don't be ruuuude!

Some obscure blues tune--->Rolling Stones - Shake Your Hips--->ZZ Top - La Grange--->White Stripes - Rag And Bone

Just saying. :wink: At least it's a good riff.

GibsonGirl said:
And yeah, that riff sounds very similar to Moby Dick. Lots of nods to Zeppelin in this one. Lots of nods to classic rock in general, actually.

AOD, it's only two weeks until our show! :hyper: I'll have to stroll over and say hi before the gig starts.

I agree with the nods. Their whole existence is like a tribute to the past...yet they're so much more than a nostalgia act. It's a deliciously fine line they walk :drool:

It's just starting to hit me that I'll actually be seeing them...two Mondays from tonight! Hard to believe I'll also be meeting a live Interferencer...just as exciting as the actual show :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
And Zeppelin probably got the Moby Dick riff from another band anyway! Good times all around.

Nowww Meg, don't be ruuuude!

I love that part :drool:

Like the album, that song is getting better with each listen.

Edit: GG, Just looking at my ticket...I'm in section 121, row 17, seat 3. Hopefully within strolling distance!

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

Edit: GG, Just looking at my ticket...I'm in section 121, row 17, seat 3. Hopefully within strolling distance!

We're practically neighbours. :lol: Section 122, row 15, seat 1.

I don't think they can get any cooler if they tried!

White Stripes puts on surprise show at bowling alley

CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It was 7:30 p.m. Saturday night when Allison Hunter got the call to host the rock duo White Stripes in a free surprise show at the Saskatoon bowling alley her family built 30 years ago. Through text messaging, phone calls, Facebook and emails, Hunter gathered a crowd of just less than 200 by 3 p.m. Sunday. At 3:02 p.m., Jack and Meg White appeared from a side door, casually swinging bowling pins and cutting across the lanes to their instruments. Without a word, Jack White launched into a bluesy rendition of Red Bowling Ball Ruth.

Why do I picture Jack just telling Meg one day "Fuck it, let's go bowling?" That's amazing.

Good thing it wasn't the Shabbes.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Why do I picture Jack just telling Meg one day "Fuck it, let's go bowling?" That's amazing.

I just found a pic :drool:

whitestripesbowlpr2.jpg

They're seriously crazy...in a great way! Makes we wonder what they have in store for the show here. I'm imagining a performance on a certain hill, but they're bound to do the unexpected.

GibsonGirl said:

We're practically neighbours. :lol: Section 122, row 15, seat 1.

You should return to the dentist and get us some laughing gas :hyper:

BonoManiac said:
^ "But Jack, I don't wanna go bowling!"

"Now Meg, don't be rude."

"Why not?"

"Now Meg, don't be rude" and "This place is like a mansion, LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF!" are now firmly entrenched as phrases I drop in normal conversations.

LemonMacPhisto said:

"Now Meg, don't be rude" and "This place is like a mansion, LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF!" are now firmly entrenched as phrases I drop in normal conversations.

:lol:

The trouble is, most people would think you were absolutely nuts...you might want to be selective :wink:

I also love Jack's part: "...unwed mothers, halfway homes, catacombs, twilight zones." It sounds more genius every time I listen...I keep wondering if it's improvised at all.

Speaking of catacombs, last week I crawled into my mom's basement to retrieve the original copy of Elephant I had buried during my packing a few years ago. I had forgotten how truly amazing it is...such a classic. Black Math :drool:

Well, the "don't be rude" and "look at all this stuff!" bits are the keepers. :p

LemonMacPhisto said:

"Now Meg, don't be rude" and "This place is like a mansion, LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF!"

Does anyone else picuture another celebrity here? Ever since I've heard his "speaking voice" in this song, it sounds like someone else, but I can't put my finger on it... anyone else?

angelordevil said:

I just found a pic :drool:

whitestripesbowlpr2.jpg

They're seriously crazy...in a great way! Makes we wonder what they have in store for the show here. I'm imagining a performance on a certain hill, but they're bound to do the unexpected.

You should return to the dentist and get us some laughing gas :hyper:

Oh man, could you imagine. :drool: The White Stripes, live at Signal Hill, music booming down the Narrows.

Haha, I'll get us a whole cannister of it. :lol: It wouldn't be hard to get it either, because I think the surgeon dips into his own supply rather frequently. He has sounded high as a kite the entire three times I've been to him.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Does anyone else picuture another celebrity here? Ever since I've heard his "speaking voice" in this song, it sounds like someone else, but I can't put my finger on it... anyone else?

I first thought Pee-Wee Herman, with the different inflections and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong on that one.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I first thought Pee-Wee Herman, with the different inflections and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong on that one.

No, it's someone more recent, I just can't put my hand on it...

Here's a longer version of that article I posted earlier.

White Stripes rock Saskatoon bowling alley

Jeanette Stewart, CanWest News Service
Published: Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It was 7:30 p.m. Saturday night when Allison Hunter got the call.

At first she thought it was a joke, but when the White Stripes’ management called to confirm, Hunter knew she would be hosting the internationally-acclaimed rock duo in a free surprise show at the Saskatoon bowling alley her family built 30 years ago.

But how to get the word out? Through text messaging, phone calls, Facebook and e-mails, Hunter gathered a crowd of just less than 200 by 3 p.m. Sunday.

“I wasn’t sure it was for real until they were setting up today,” Hunter said.

The message: White Stripes, free show, Eastview Bowl.

Fifteen minutes before show time, the building was quiet. A few bowlers still played, but a small beaten up white drum kit with a swirled red and white design, Jack White’s trademark guitar, a couple amplifiers and a red synthesizer at the far end of the building confirmed the tip was no joke.

Dressed in black suits, red collared shirts and fedoras with red feathers, The White Stripes’ crew moved silently, setting up sound equipment and picking out the perfect bowling ball for Jack White.

By 3 p.m., the space between the lanes and the wall was full. First-comers sat in the stylized 1970s plastic benches in front of the lanes. Others sat atop the coat racks, and more packed into the bar overlooking the lanes.

At 3:02 p.m., Jack and Meg White appeared from a side door beside the lanes, casually swinging bowling pins and cutting across the lanes to their waiting instruments, followed closely behind by a camera man dressed in the road crew’s uniform of black suit and fedora.

Without a single word to the onlookers, Jack White — wearing his trademark tight red pants and black T-shirt, long mop of hair hanging loosely down — launched into a bluesy rendition of "Red Bowling Ball Ruth."

The respectful onlookers stayed seated in their bowling benches, and the rest of the crowd stayed back, taking hundreds of pictures with their camera phones, puny flashes pinging off the polished wooden lanes.

With her sweet, shy smile, Meg White provided the thudding accompaniment to Jack White’s screaming slide guitar. The duo followed the first song with "Let’s Shake Hands," "Lafayette Blues," "I Fought Piranhas" and "Let’s Build a Home."

At the end of the less than 15-minute set, Jack White continued to play, stepping out into the crowd and grabbing a bowling ball. His first throw was a gutter ball. Pausing only to strum a couple chords to fuel the guitar’s electric hum, he threw another, leaving only two pins standing.

And then, it was over. While the audience chanted for more, the road crew began packing the equipment and the crowd resigned itself to talking about what it had just seen.

“We just love them,” said Daryl-Anne Fletcher, 22. Dressed head to toe in red, black and white and with a tattoo of Jack White’s red guitar on her leg, Fletcher travelled to the show from Calgary with her husband. She went to the group’s shows in Burnaby, Edmonton and Calgary.

Although there was no chance for autographs at the impromptu show, fan Ryan Leslie will get to take home the bowling ball Jack White used during the performance. Leslie was instrumental in getting the word out and friend Hunter will let him take home the souvenir. “I’ll put it besides the ticket stubs, and the CDs and the DVDs and everything else.”

© CanWest News Service 2007

Lets Shake Hands, Lafayette Blues, I Fought Piranhas AND Lets Build A Home. In a 15 minute show. :drool: :drool:

White Stripes rule! Everyone else > :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom