The TV Ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertWiscy

Acrobat
Haven't seen anything here discussing the TV commercial. We in the U.S. are seeing it several times over the last few days starting on Thursday Sept. 11 during the NFL game on CBS. Also saw it on Saturday during a Premier League game on the NBC network in the U.S.

It is a full minute in length. White background (like album cover) with band members performing The Miracle. Visually it appears some fuzzy effects were used, not sure how to describe other than that.

Meanwhile old concert footage of The Ramones -- all of them -- starts to appear superimposed over U2 band members' bodies. The Miracle continues to play and at the end there is a written message saying U2's new album SoI is available for free download on iTunes.

Anyone else see it yet? And has it been playing in other countries besides U.S.?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

It was just played a minute ago on FOX during Det/Car. I imagine it should air a number of times during the various games today.

Nothing here in the uk yet.

Maybe when the iphone comes out friday we will see it more.

But apple have to get this ad played cause come the end of the week people will have forgotten about it unless the ads shown alot.

Just saw it again now during Minnesota-New England NFL game on CBS.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Saw this too and Its catchy....this song is going to be like Vertigo and get in people's heads.

This is going to be a MONSTER live.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I've seen it at least 6x now, all during college football or NFL games.

Highest rated programming here in the states btw....they really are pulling out all the stops

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I saw it on BBC America during Doctor Who. It was a wonderful surprise and I was really pleased by how much of the song they actually played. It was an ad for U2 that happened to feature Apple at the end, not the other way around.

In the footage you can find ramones, clash and Patty Smith
Edge is smashing guitar a la joe strummer
london-calling-the-clash.jpg

Why is it being showed all the time in the states and not in the uk? :-(

They need it on tv here as their back catalogue is slipping down the itunes chart

That commercial is bad ass but I wish they were using a better song.

I actually think the song was a great choice for a lead single. Like most of the songs on this album, it gets better with each play. I'm really digging it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I actually think the song was a great choice for a lead single. Like most of the songs on this album, it gets better with each play. I'm really digging it

I have to agree. "Miracle" is a great lead single - ala "Vertigo". It's catchy, yet not confusing and odd like GOYB. It's also my second favorite song on the album, so I'm very happy hearing it in the ads.

I wasn't too impressed after hearing 'The Miracle' in the Apple keynote, but now that I've seen the ad, I think it's a really good lead single. Better than Boots.

Hits Daily Double have this short article on the SOI release and some numbers on the amount of times the ad has appeared on tv and the total estimate of sale for the back catalogue since last Tuesday:

Whether you consider the U2-Apple initiative as a stunt or a brilliant cross-marketing initiative, you’ve gotta admit that it has dramatically increased the band’s visibility at a crucial moment while also making the masses acutely aware of the appearance of the iPhone 6. Here are some interesting stats:

Through last night’s edition of Monday Night Football, the commercial that employs the hook from "The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)" has aired nationally 121 times since it debuted on the CBS prime-time game last Thursday. This according to ad-tracking site ispot.tv.

According to Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, "Just six days after its release on iTunes, a record-breaking 33 million people have already experienced" Songs of Innocence. In other words, the album has been accessed on iTunes, iCloud, iTunes Radio or Beats Music 33 million times since it magically appeared last Tuesday.

Apple said it received more than 4 million combined orders of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the first 24 hours on Sept. 12, surpassing the previous high of 2 million-plus iPhone 5 orders set in 2012. "We believe the iPhone 6/6 Plus pre-order numbers indicate demand for the redesigned iPhone is slightly better than high expectations," Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster wrote in a note to clients.

Somewhat less significantly, the U2 catalog—sale priced at $5.99 for standard releases and $7.99 for hits collections since last Tuesday—has been selling briskly, with total sales up to today believed to be north of 30k. That may not be "massive," as Rolling Stone put it recently, but it ain’t chopped liver—especially considering that U2 catalog titles during the previous week sold in the double digits, with only three in the low triple digits. The biggest post-Tuesday sellers are 2006’s 18-song U218 Singles and 1987’s beloved The Joshua Tree, which are running neck and neck, with the 1991 landmark Achtung Baby a solid #3. All of the above remain in the iTunes Top 50 as of Monday afternoon, as does 1983’s War and, more surprisingly, the $11.99 deluxe version of U218 Singles, which contains 10 additional tracks, nine of them live.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm with you. After the live performance I wasn't sure what to make of it, but it has grown on me perhaps more than any other on the record.

Back
Top Bottom