The Sanctity of Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

You respect other people's opinion?

Not one person in here said they opposed the death penalty due to the suffering of the criminal. Not one. Yet you threw your own speculation and bias onto everyone of us who does oppose the death penalty.

Doesn't sound like respect to me.

When I said "opponents of the death penalty" I made a generalization and not a specific reference to this board or anyone on it.

Please accept my apology if I offended you - I really didn't mean to.

AchtungBono said:

When I said "opponents of the death penalty" I made a generalization and not a specific reference to this board or anyone on it.

Please accept my apology if I offended you - I really didn't mean to.

Apology accepted. But I'd be careful of such generalizations in the future.

Most opponents I know have never used that as a reason why they oppose the death penalty.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Apology accepted. But I'd be careful of such generalizations in the future.

Most opponents I know have never used that as a reason why they oppose the death penalty.

Then why DO they (and you) oppose the death penalty? My rationale is that the criminal shouldn't be allowed to live out the life he took from his victim - am I wrong?

I'm not trying to argue - I really want to understand.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're so full of shit.

For all the comments about Achtung Bono's posts, at least AB didn't start swearing a blue streak at other people after one post, did they? Or leaving posts like the above.

Granted, this person might be posting vituperative comments in other areas of FYM, but for all the hand-wringing about respecting all opinions...it doesn't seem to come very far round the tree, does it?

nathan1977 said:

Granted, this person might be posting vituperative comments in other areas of FYM, but for all the hand-wringing about respecting all opinions...it doesn't seem to come very far round the tree, does it?

Well when I start writing horrific generalizations like this:

"It really makes my blood boil how Christian Conservatives think only of the "suffering" of white, heterosexual fellow Christians.....without a thought to what Jesus really taught."

I'll expect you to react the same way I did. Until then you may want to take a look at that tree yourself. :|

AchtungBono said:
Then why DO they (and you) oppose the death penalty? My rationale is that the criminal shouldn't be allowed to live out the life he took from his victim - am I wrong?

Leave out vengeance, spirituality and religious dogma for a moment and consider this analogy.

Is it ok to hit your kids to show them hitting is wrong?

AchtungBono said:

First and foremost, humans are by definition fallible, therefore not every person sentenced to death is guilty.

Beyond that, just the belief that God should be the only one to decide that type of "justice".

Well if he went into Cardiac arrest and did not want to be resesitated then at least he would have saved us some money.

You say that you never show support for a murderer, and that life in prision is the ultimate justice?? Tell that the victims.
I am sure all the war criminals who were executed back in the 40's, 50's and 60'(Nazis) would love to hear that people out there would support them in detering their execution, even though they did kill 6 million jews, and the Gypsies and homosexuals that were murdered.
If a person murders some one they should know the consiquenses of their actions, which could mean death for them

God gave us rules to live by (Ten Commandments) if we dont follow them we get punished, which could equal Hell for some of us. So if a murderer kills someone=deathpenalty, then after god can decide what to do with them.

Obviously God=Mother Nature and mother nature can get mad and cause havoc, mabey as punishment for us.

I am sure there is something in the bible allowing humans to judge people. I mean didn't god say he would not interfere with mankind and that we have our own freewill???

Justin24 said:
Well if he went into Cardiac arrest and did not want to be resesitated then at least he would have saved us some money.

After the appeals process and the years spent in prison, I don't think the taxpayers stood to save too much money by not using Potassium Chloride.

Justin24 said:

You say that you never show support for a murderer, and that life in prision is the ultimate justice?? Tell that the victims.
Well to the first part they should be smart enough to realize I'm not supporting the murderer. And like I've said before, I've known many loved ones of victims who agree with me.

Justin24 said:

I am sure all the war criminals who were executed back in the 40's, 50's and 60'(Nazis) would love to hear that people out there would support them in detering their execution, even though they did kill 6 million jews, and the Gypsies and homosexuals that were murdered.
Once again your analogy doesn't work. War criminals and other criminals fall under separate laws. And once again you can quit with the "support them" shit...
Justin24 said:

If a person murders some one they should know the consiquenses of their actions, which could mean death for them
They do now and it's not stopping them. Obviously it doesn't work as a deterrent.

Well then neither does keeping them in prison forever. Cause they will do the same shit in prison, taking "Human life"

seperate laws but still murder or is war crimes different from murder, can you explain that to me?? I didn't know there was a difference.

Also can you explain to me where all his support was. All the celebrities??

Justin24 said:
God gave us rules to live by (Ten Commandments) if we dont follow them we get punished, which could equal Hell for some of us. So if a murderer kills someone=deathpenalty, then after god can decide what to do with them.

Only 2 of which are made into laws. We allow God to make the ultimate judgment on the other 8, we should allow God to make the ultimate judgment on this one as well. For someone's life IS the ultimate judgment.

Still who gave the murderer a right to take someones life? For that he should be punished by death. Because obviously the people who are buried and will never see their family again did not expect to be brutally murdered.

Justin24 said:

We are also given the New Testament, much less where Jesus gives us the parables where let the person who is without sin cast the first stone and to turn the other cheek. To me that says be the bigger person and don't kill someone just because they have killed.

But god gave us free will. Which means create our own laws and punish accordingly.

Justin24 said:
Well then neither does keeping them in prison forever. Cause they will do the same shit in prison, taking "Human life"

So we should kill all prisoners and eliminate jails because prisoners may kill each other? I'm not following.
Justin24 said:

seperate laws but still murder or is war crimes different from murder, can you explain that to me?? I didn't know there was a difference.

You'd have to talk to an expert in that type of law, but yes it's entirely different law.

Justin24 said:
But god gave us free will. Which means create our own laws and punish accordingly.

Yes, I believe that God did give us free will, but I think the point of that free will isn't to go around enacting laws justifying the execution of someone.

Justin24 said:
Still who gave the murderer a right to take someones life? For that he should be punished by death. Because obviously the people who are buried and will never see their family again did not expect to be brutally murdered.

No one gave them the right, that's why it's against the law.

Should all who break the law receive the same action that made them law breakers?

Justin24 said:

This is a stretch. Based on this logic it's ok to make adultery or homosexuality punishable by stoning. We could just move to Iran for that.

Well then tell criminals to stop going around and killing people Randhail. What justifies someone going up to another person and killing them??? There is no justification for that and those people that do that should be delt with, even if it ment execution.

Those that are being executed are lucky they are being put to death in a humanitarian way unlike the person(s) they killed.

The prison population should be kept in different areas of a prison or have one prison only for murderers, one for robbers(that are serving lighter sentences.) etc...

So what if they are two different laws didn't they kill "Human Beings?"

Nope, thats why robbers, rapists and others have different sentences.

Were better than Iran, we dont stone people for adultery, they have lawyer who settle that.

Oh and by the way Bonovox your the one who brang up god in these arguments, with your Jesus remarks.

Justin24 said:
Well then tell criminals to stop going around and killing people Randhail. What justifies someone going up to another person and killing them??? There is no justification for that and those people that do that should be delt with, even if it ment execution.

Those that are being executed are lucky they are being put to death in a humanitarian way unlike the person(s) they killed.

The prison population should be kept in different areas of a prison or have one prison only for murderers, one for robbers(that are serving lighter sentences.) etc...

If someone is going to kill, no law or penalty is going to change that. A good number of murders are murders of passion - the person seemed to be normal, but then just snapped. The death penalty will do nothing to prevent those.

You consider the electric chair humane? :eyebrow:

Prisons do have areas dealing soley with the most violent people. They also have maximum and minimum security prisons.

Lethal injection is more human that pointing a sawed off shot gun to someones forehead and blasting their brains all over the wall.

Justin24 said:
Lethal injection is more human that pointing a sawed off shot gun to someones forehead and blasting their brains all over the wall.

How is killing someone via lethal injection, shot gun, ravaged by wolves, etc humane? The outcome is same.

I compared what Allen recieved as his execution to what he did to the three innocent people. shot gun to the face, gun blast to the heart and lungs.

Justin24 said:
No one is saying they are justified, but what justifies your taking of life? It's a matter of stooping to their level. Why do you want to stoop to their level. What do you get out of it?

Justin24 said:

Do you think murders are the only ones getting in fights and killing in prisons?
Justin24 said:

Isn't that what war is? The laws are different because they are soldiers under orders, same as our soldiers.

Back
Top Bottom