The Riches (Eddie Izzard on TV! Eeee!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allanah

Acrobat
Anyone else catch the premiere of "The Riches" tonight?

I adore Eddie Izzard's stand-up. I know he's got some dramatic chops as well ("The Revenger's Tragedy," an eBay-d "Day in the Death of Joe Egg" DVD)... but WOW. For every iffy movie role he's ever taken, he does something like this that just blows me away. I absolutely loved the show. It's a completely original premise, well-written, great acting, and all that jazz. I hope FX sticks with this one, because I'm smelling some Emmys here.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who saw this. If you didn't, I'd highly recommend catching a replay of it this week.

One slight nitpick: for the love of God, if you're not Southern, just don't try a Southern accent. A few of the ones I heard tonight made me cringe. Minnie Driver's was decent (I'd almost forgotten what a great actress she can be), but some of 'em... oy vey. And I've got to admit, it was really strange to hear Eddie doing a generic American accent. Still, loved the show, and felt a bit disappointed when it was over. I'll definitely be watching next week.

There's a replay tonight at midnight (Eastern time), and another one Saturday at 10 p.m.

I was really impressed with this show and I'm looking forward to see how it plays out. The premise is original and it is a little on the dark side, but it is very entertaining. :up:

glad to hear this.. People magazine gave the show a good review. I am looking forward to catching the replay tonite that is recording while I sleep..:wink: Of course I will watch it tomorrow.. Midnight is way past my bed time.

I'm finally watching it now, and am completely sucked in.

I'm not quite buying Eddie's American accent, but I can live with that.

Plus, love the theme song of Gomez' "How We Operate"!

I saw that this was on but missed it. I am going to check the schedule to see if there's a repeat and try to catch it. I :heart: Eddie Izzard. Amazing comedian, simply brilliant! I don't care for Minnie Driver though but I suppose if Eddie is good enough I can tolerate HER......

Did anyone catch Eddie in My Super Ex Girlfriend? He was great in that villain role!

I'm really pumped for this show. I loved the pilot, and I can see great things coming from this. :up:

Anyone catch tonight's new episode? This show is going to be stellar. Big improvement over an already awesome pilot episode. Looking forward to following this series. :up:

Eddie Izzard really starts to come into his role this episode. Just wath they way he interacts with Hugh. Good shit.

The second episode was indeed better than the first.

Though, I missed something, I think, regarding the younger son?

Eddie is amazing in this part. :drool: I can't wait to see what happens.

Did anyone notice in the credits Eddie is Exec Producer?

The deal with the younger son, errr....Sam, is that Eddie is a cross dressing transvestite and I believe having the boy doing same in this show is Eddie's personal touch , probably what he wished he could have done at that age, or that being the age he realized he felt a bit different. I think they are trying to be subtle about it.

It's a good show, I am enjoying it. :up:

Carek1230 said:
Did anyone notice in the credits Eddie is Exec Producer?

The deal with the younger son, errr....Sam, is that Eddie is a cross dressing transvestite and I believe having the boy doing same in this show is Eddie's personal touch , probably what he wished he could have done at that age, or that being the age he realized he felt a bit different. I think they are trying to be subtle about it.

It's a good show, I am enjoying it. :up:

That does make sense, yeah. Thanks :up:

There's a short interview with Eddie in the new TV Guide about the show as well, he touches on the cross-dressing a bit.

That whole scene on the cell phones at the end was fantastic. Minnie was great, but Eddie's part was more difficult, I think, and he pulled it off beautifully. I also can't tell if his accent is getting better or if I'm just getting used to it.

I'm worried about this show's prospects for a second season, though. After really strong ratings for the pilot, viewership has gone down significantly (sort of like what happened with "Dirt," a show I'm glad I never watched.) Dammit.

If some of you who enjoy the show and didn't know of Eddie Izzard before, make sure to catch him in his comedy specials, all of which are available on dvd and he was also in that movie My Super Ex Girlfriend. I love the Riches, and hope it continues. Altho I don't care for Minnie Driver, I do think she's doing a good job with this role. (I can't believe I said that!)

Carek1230 said:
If some of you who enjoy the show and didn't know of Eddie Izzard before, make sure to catch him in his comedy specials,

All of which are absolute classics although some people seem to prefer "Dress to Kill" to others.

You're right....I'm not too fond of Minnie Driver either, but she's not as annoying here as she always manages to be.

There was a The Riches marathon on FX this weekend so I watched all the episodes again. I really love this show. Can't wait for the newest episode and see how they get Doug/Wayne out of jail!

:giggle: We'll just keep you in the dark about what happened Tiny!

Actually let's see.......The old guy got taken out in the woods and left to die by his ungrateful son. Doug sprung his daughter from jail and he himself showed up to the jail drunk as he'd been out drinking with the boss. Sherene also showed up at the jail and managed to get their daughter out without a record with an envelope of cash and promises to the jailkeeper. They're now figuring out what to do next..............

And you can see the show over as they re-run the episodes on FX so check your local programming when it will be on (Fri/Sat nights usually)

It was a good episode :up: Next episode they go to the backwoods, they go "home" in the RV for the old man's funeral.

Back
Top Bottom