The Pro Wrestling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the post this morning by WWE on my Facebook feed, assumed it was part of a storyline until I read a few of the comments then later check a few websites :(

Glad it happened at work where medical teams are present.

Hope he makes a quick recovery.

I saw the post this morning by WWE on my Facebook feed, assumed it was part of a storyline until I read a few of the comments then later check a few websites :(

Glad it happened at work where medical teams are present.

Hope he makes a quick recovery.

I hope he does too. Quite frankly, though, it was work that probably caused his attack. He was wrestling indie shows in Aruba over the weekend. Then he had to fly to Montreal where had to wrestle a tag team match and then head back to the announce table to call matches. The dude is 62. He should have been kept in the back for the rest of the night after his tag team match and been given a chance to cool down and relax. Hopefully, we never see Lawler wrestle another match in his life.

The Road to WrestleMania 29 starts tonight on the first Raw of 2013. After a bit of a hiatus, the Rock returns to WWE. He'll be facing the WWE Champion (currently CM Punk) for the title at this year's Royal Rumble. Ryback will be challenging Punk for the WWE title tonight on Raw in a TLC match. Punk has held the title for over 400 days.

Kinda fun to have someone actually hold the title for more than a few weeks. Long title reigns kinda died out quickly once the 90's came around.

Kinda fun to have someone actually hold the title for more than a few weeks. Long title reigns kinda died out quickly once the 90's came around.

Yes, I think it's great that Punk has held the title for a while. In the 90's they had more stars, so they had to spread the wealth. Unfortunately, the big rumor is that Rock will win the title at the Rumble.

Looks like the Rock is pulling a late 80's/early 90's Hogan (when all he had to do was cut a bunch of promos and show up to a couple PPVs per year). I'm guessing that ain't too popular in the locker room, given what everyone else's schedule is.

Yes, but the Rock has earned the right to do so. Whenever he shows up, ratings and PPV buys increase. Plus, his movies are way better than that shit Hogan did.

I always like how the villain was electrocuted (!!!) to death at the end, and everyone in the arena seemed totally cool with that grisley death.

Tonight on Raw, WWE will be celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Raw. Should be an entertaining show. Can't believe it's been 20 years since the first Raw. Crazy.

If I recall correctly, the show made a very quiet debut. It had previously been Prime Time Wrestling on Monday nights.

I wouldn't say it was quiet. If you were a WWF fan at the time and watched their shows on a regular basis, you would have definitely known about it. I was looking forward to it because Prime Time had run its course and Raw by name alone seemed like it was going to be a little edgier.

I'm struggling to recall any buildup (granted I was 12 years old at the time), other than I do vaguely recall seeing a new WWF show listed on Monday night where Primetime wrestling used to be.

I'm struggling to recall any buildup (granted I was 12 years old at the time), other than I do vaguely recall seeing a new WWF show listed on Monday night where Primetime wrestling used to be.

There wasn't a mega build up for the show. It was mentioned on the last episode of Prime Time and promoted accordingly afterward. Keep in mind, the internet wasn't that advanced yet. The WWF could still have surprises without spoilers being released. The only insider information came from free wrestling hotlines that were actually listed in the phone book. This was before Mean Gene Okerlund and the like would have their 1-800 numbers that guaranteed exclusive insider information about WCW or the WWF.

Well, the Raw 20th Anniversary show came and went with nothing special really happening. WWE did announce the first inductee for the 2013 Hall of Fame Class and that person is Long Island's own, Mick Foley. Other names being mentioned as possible inductees are Bob Backlund, Kamala and... Bruno Sammartino. Yes, there's a rumor going around that HHH himself is going to visit Bruno personally in an effort to persuade him to accept induction into their HOF. Bruno has said in the past that as long as McMahon is around, he doesn't wish to be inducted. Stay tuned.

Well, the Raw 20th Anniversary show came and went with nothing special really happening. WWE did announce the first inductee for the 2013 Hall of Fame Class and that person is Long Island's own, Mick Foley. Other names being mentioned as possible inductees are Bob Backlund, Kamala and... Bruno Sammartino. Yes, there's a rumor going around that HHH himself is going to visit Bruno personally in an effort to persuade him to accept induction into their HOF. Bruno has said in the past that as long as McMahon is around, he doesn't wish to be inducted. Stay tuned.

Hasn't HHH tried that before? I thought Bruno wasn't too impressed with him.

Hasn't HHH tried that before? I thought Bruno wasn't too impressed with him.

I've never heard of HHH reaching out to Bruno before. I think it's a longshot that Bruno accepts the induction but never say never. Obviously, Savage should be in, but there have been heavy rumors that Savage (when he was alive) only wished to be inducted if his father, Angelo, and brother, Lanny, were inducted as well. Backlund should definitely be in there. He was WWF champion for almost 5 years straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom