The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could still do a world cup every 4 years to keep it around. They put too many ODI's in the calander for people to care about. This series should have been 3 ODI's and 3 T20's

Rathern than SEVEN meaningless ODI's!

ODI cricket started dying with the absolute atrocity (and that's putting it terribly lightly) of a World Cup in 06. or 07 or whenever it was. a coach died, the good teams sucked, and the final was a one-sided affair yet somehow managed to drag on for what felt like about 3 days.

disgraceful.

the test relegation/promotion thing is a brilliant idea, shame just like with all sports the powers-that-be (read: India) don't care about what is best for the game or what the people want.

One Day Cricket is as good as dead. Kill it, put it out of it's misery. No one here gave a rats about that One-Day Series, even though we won 6-1.

What devastates me somewhat is that I was too young to ever really enjoy the World Cup in Australia in '92. Back in the heyday of ODI's (90's-early 00's), I was ever so looking forward to 2011 when, at least logically, it would have been our turn to host the World Cup for the first time since 92. We're due to host it in 2015, but even if we did get the 2011 World Cup, I'd probably not give a shit.

I blame 1) overstauration of the format this decade (ie. tournaments in Malaysia between Aus, WI and Ind - whatever the hell for?!), and 2) the rise of 20/20 and the subsequent disregard for ODI's by both players and national associations alike.

ODI is dead. Shame.

I hate that fast-food culture has destroyed a once much loved and valid form of the game. Damn 20/20 to hell!

I would love to see a situation where Test status is given to 12 teams to create a 2 tierd international world cricket league. Every team plays round robin home-away tournaments against every other team (IE for 2 months of the year a nation in either division has a 'home month' where they play 2 4-day tests 4 20/20's and 2One-day Test (2 x innings of 25 overs each) against each of the other nations in their division. Points allocated will be 5 for a test win 1st innings, 8 for an outright win, 2 for a 20/20 win and 4 for a ODT win.

This means that every year every nation has 2 months where they play 46 days of cricket. every other 2 month period they visit the 'home team' for their tests, 2020s and ODT's.

Each year every team will play 20 tests (equivelant of 16 5-day tests), 40 20/20's and 20 ODT's. That is 140 days of cricket out of 365, spread well out to give players a rest.

League 1:

Aus
Eng
India
SA
Pakistan
Sri lanka

League 2:

West indies
NZ
Banga
Zim
Ireland
Canada

At the end of the season 2 playoffs will be held; the first between the top 2 teams in League 1 for world championship status, the second between the bottom team of league 2, and the leading associate nation to see if there will be a promotion/relegation into league 2 from a challenger (to promote cricket in other areas).

Last in league 1 swaps with 1st in league 2.

The final is held as a mini-tournament in the higher ranked teams home. 1 test, 1 ODT and 2 T20's are played, points are allocated the same as during the season to determine a winner.

The associate Cup will be played between the top associate nations in a similar structure (although less committment due to the amateur status.

Someone explain to me why this wont work, and why the dunderheads at the ICC cant figure it out

On the topic of the '07 World Cup.

The only highlight of the tournament would have to be the big man Dwayne Leverock. I would pay full price just to see the guy play!

:drool:

if eng win it we will care
we have won nothing in ODI's

even NZ have won something

I'm going for an Aus v Nz final

Nz to win

yeah, I still dont care. Honestly, the Aussie team only has 1 universally likeable player left in Callum Ferguson... the rest people from their states may like, but everyone else thinks they are shitheads who shouldnt be there. This is the lease likeable aussie team for an aussie ever

Yep, Callum Ferguson is likeable. :yes:

But what determines a universally likeable player/person?

Yep, Callum Ferguson is likeable. :yes:

But what determines a universally likeable player/person?

A player who commands respect through BOTH his on field performance, and his off field demeanour. Not Ponting. Hussey is losing it. Clarke is on the way to it.

The last one I can really think of for Aus is Steve Waugh.

but ponting is a legend
he just murdered england for the 456th time
if ponting was english there would be a statue of him outside every ground in the country
he may be bit of a dick and occasionally cheat
but amazing batsman
legend

he can bat, ponting. can bat.

i think smeesy makes a very good point. along with the fact the interest in twenty20s is dwindling, i really don't care about anyone in this team, which is quite sad.

test cricket i still love, though. plus i like katich, hughes, haddin, siddle...

but you go back even five, ten years and it was hard not to be passionate. bevan, hayden, gilly, waugh brothers...

i know no one really cares about the one-dayers, but there's a pretty good series going on over in india at the moment.

sachin turned back the clock with an unbelievable century.

The little master is a little legend. :up:

It's turning out to be quite an exciting series mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom