The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds quite fun, bit like my time at The Age, though I was always working @ the sport desk :hyper:

Can you tell the folk at the HS to stop being so fundamentally anti-Rudd and give the new government a chance. They've actually handled the economy beautifully, better than the Coward government, and are actually visionary and pro-active....met Andy Blot yet?

Funnily enough I swapped departments with the other work experience girl, so now I'm in SHS all day tomorrow, which should be great.

I've always been told that the Herald Sun is pro-labor... I don't read into the politics enough to notice. I'll make sure I mention it. (Do you know Terry McCrann? The business guy? Apparently he has Sir Rupert's personal phone number, winkwinknudgenudge).

I saw him, but didn't meet him. Would have like to talked to him, I enjoy reading his articles. Though as much as I like pretending global warming's not real, there is no doubt it's occuring, and he can't deny it that steadfastly.

Funnily enough I swapped departments with the other work experience girl, so now I'm in SHS all day tomorrow, which should be great.

I've always been told that the Herald Sun is pro-labor... I don't read into the politics enough to notice. I'll make sure I mention it. (Do you know Terry McCrann? The business guy? Apparently he has Sir Rupert's personal phone number, winkwinknudgenudge).

I saw him, but didn't meet him. Would have like to talked to him, I enjoy reading his articles. Though as much as I like pretending global warming's not real, there is no doubt it's occuring, and he can't deny it that steadfastly.

Sir Rupert's phone number would be tasty...

It's probably more the HS's reader base that is anti-Rudd, the journalists aren't necessarily pro-Liberal or anti-Labour, but write to the lowest common denominator, like don't report on the more pressing global and political issues and give petty Today Tonight-style "current affair" issues more coverage. Tabloid Newspaper kinda point of view. Sensationalise trivial matters.

Blot is hardcore conservative (anti-Labor, anti-climate change,), and his articles are amongst the most important sources of readership and appeal of the Herald Sun. You either love him or loathe him.

See if ya can get a gig working in the Hit section mate. The Sun's entertainment guide is always awesome.....Cam Adams seems to be a fan of U2 and other quality music (and anti-Nickleback).

Oh man, could the Tigers possibly be playing any worse? This is Demonsesque. :(

Sir Rupert's phone number would be tasty...

It's probably more the HS's reader base that is anti-Rudd, the journalists aren't necessarily pro-Liberal or anti-Labour, but write to the lowest common denominator, like don't report on the more pressing global and political issues and give petty Today Tonight-style "current affair" issues more coverage. Tabloid Newspaper kinda point of view. Sensationalise trivial matters.

Blot is hardcore conservative (anti-Labor, anti-climate change,), and his articles are amongst the most important sources of readership and appeal of the Herald Sun. You either love him or loathe him.

See if ya can get a gig working in the Hit section mate. The Sun's entertainment guide is always awesome.....Cam Adams seems to be a fan of U2 and other quality music (and anti-Nickleback).

The "Herald-Sun-writes-to-the-lowest-common-demoninator" argument is very much to my chagrin. I don't agree, and don't see it in the writing. I can see the point about giving more coverage to the "today tonight" stories, but that is because of readership. It's why they're miles ahead of the Age. And what worldwide issues would you be referring to. Why do you call him Blot?

I was in there momentarily. Cam Adams wasn't there that day, which sucked, cos I wanted to chat to him. I met Claire Sutherland, and went out on an interview with her, but that was it.

I did find the Uncut magazine which devoted the whole magazine to U2, do you reckond I could email and get a copy somehow?

Oh man, could the Tigers possibly be playing any worse? This is Demonsesque. :(

They were pretty bad today, but not a patch on the Demons. They're shocking, and it's quite sad.

I still think West Coast is far and away the worst side this year though,\.

I still think West Coast is far and away the worst side this year though,\.

I have to agree, we're spineless. McKinley's showing high potential, though - as are a lot of the kids. We'll see what happens next year once we pick up Rich or Naitanui... unless Woosha gets greedier for more. :rolleyes:

I have to agree, we're spineless. McKinley's showing high potential, though - as are a lot of the kids. We'll see what happens next year once we pick up Rich or Naitanui... unless Woosha gets greedier for more. :rolleyes:

Where the hell did McKinley come from? How many's he played? He was awesome.

And Goodes kicked eight!

The "Herald-Sun-writes-to-the-lowest-common-demoninator" argument is very much to my chagrin. I don't agree, and don't see it in the writing. I can see the point about giving more coverage to the "today tonight" stories, but that is because of readership. It's why they're miles ahead of the Age. And what worldwide issues would you be referring to. Why do you call him Blot?

There was apparently a play which had a character based upon him and he was called Blot instead of Bolt which I thought was bizarre in a cool way.

It's not so much the writing itself that is "lowest-common-denominator", more prioritisation of news stories. There is some content that is just dodgy, two-page spread dedicated to the AFL writers' footy tips! Overdoing it a tad. Also, of there is a major political event (Russia-Georgia War, Zimbabwe, Obama-McCain), all the HS tend to include are outsourced reports, rather than feature articles that analyse problems and interrogate solutions. Their massive reader rates are understandable, it's just something very easy to read (layout). Age is awesome in content, but ya rarely have the time (or physical space!) to read the bloody thing.

Melbourne are hein this year, they've got nothing going for them at all, and at least WC have some decent young guns. Sounds like Geelong adapted the Mercy rule against the Deez last Friday.

There was apparently a play which had a character based upon him and he was called Blot instead of Bolt which I thought was bizarre in a cool way.

It's not so much the writing itself that is "lowest-common-denominator", more prioritisation of news stories. There is some content that is just dodgy, two-page spread dedicated to the AFL writers' footy tips! Overdoing it a tad. Also, of there is a major political event (Russia-Georgia War, Zimbabwe, Obama-McCain), all the HS tend to include are outsourced reports, rather than feature articles that analyse problems and interrogate solutions. Their massive reader rates are understandable, it's just something very easy to read (layout). Age is awesome in content, but ya rarely have the time (or physical space!) to read the bloody thing.

Melbourne are hein this year, they've got nothing going for them at all, and at least WC have some decent young guns. Sounds like Geelong adapted the Mercy rule against the Deez last Friday.

Yeah I agree 100% with that, that's exactly the Herald Sun. They use a lot of oursourced stories, which I've always thought was weird, and yeah they have no analysis of those major issues. In that sense it does appeal to a lower common denominator.

The Weagles were pretty good I thought against the Bombers, and after this round Melbourne are now the worst. I was heartened by their two wins, but they just tend to play extremely poorly in one or two quarters and the spend the rest of the time playing catch-up.

God Dammit. Why do the AFL put Collingwood vs Sydney on at the Telstra Dome?

The rivialry has already outgrown the SCG, you'd think they'd learn and just put it on at the MCG where you'd still get a crowd of 60-65,000.

Anyway i wouldn't be venting If I could get a ticket :madspit:

Because the men who run the AFL are extremely stupid and are so far out of touch with what the fans want they might as well be running the one-pump petrol station near my place. :)

True That.

Turns out the folk at BigFooty.com are very helpful.

Apparently the game is a "walk up start", So I guess level 1 & 2 are completely sold out?, or something. And Level three is all General Admission.

The saddest thing is that the MCG is supposed to be the "Melbourne Magpies" home ground.

Des-suburbanisation has ruined the league.

Yeah it is disappointing there's only one true Victorian home ground left. It used to be where you lived was who you supported. The VFL is a good example.

So close to the finals we are now :hyper: So excited especially that my Crows have made it. Who said we didn't have a forward line ey?

Been admirable, without Hentschel all year.

Still extremely confident over here though. I can't see us getting beaten, especially now that the Dogs (1/5) and Hawks (2/5) are sliding. We'll put the Kangaroos back in their place this weekend :D

How come everyone is still saying "collingwood can still make the top 4"

Do they not realise North face Port Adelaide next week. I'd love for Collingwood to play Geelong in week one of the finals though.

Good news - if Richmond beat Melbourne by roughly 300 points, and Sydney lose, then they can still make the finals.

Nice to see I knocked off your supercoach team a again in the minor prelim final Danny :wink:

Glad you're finding some joy in your life :D

It's soooo much harder than I thought it would be. It's luck, basically.

Good news - if Richmond beat Melbourne by roughly 300 points, and Sydney lose, then they can still make the finals.

Glad you're finding some joy in your life :D

It's soooo much harder than I thought it would be. It's luck, basically.

I can see Sydney losing, But even Melbourne won't loose by 300 points :wink: Richmond will again cop it for finished 9th again, but hey this has been their best 9th in a long long while.

And RE: Super Coach, it did come down to luck, I had myself in two leagues, I finished 15th with 1 one win in another, and in our group I've been lucky to come good during the finals series. Better luck next year :wink:

And RE: Super Coach, it did come down to luck, I had myself in two leagues, I finished 15th with 1 one win in another, and in our group I've been lucky to come good during the finals series. Better luck next year :wink:

congratufknlations :wink:

Mike Sheahan today rated the best of the rest, in this order.

Richmond
Carlton
Essendon
Brisbane
West Coast
Fremantle
Melbourne
Port Adelaide

The first four I agree with, definitely, but the last four are completely wrong. West Coast have been the worst side by absolute miles. They were seconds off a preliminary final berth last year and they're going to finish second last, having lost only Cousins and Judd, and while that sounds drastic, Judd had a shit season and Cousins wasn't infinitely better. Fremantle haven't shown any gonads this season, no, but they could have been successful if they'd actually wanted to win games. Port have sunk, undeniably, but you can't tell me that "fall" is more of an indicator when rating worst side than "how you actually played during the year". And Melbourne have improved marketedly from the beginning of the year.

So great to see everyone run on the ground last night. :up: That was awesome. But why did Channel 10 have to get a bloke to interview him? Let the guy be...

Shattered for Fev too.

And Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom