The Octagon Bar: Been Around the World and Aye yi yi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ewen said:
23596a_sign_web.jpg

:D:up:

:ohmy: You've been a fan for 23 years? :bow:

**Feels very young :laugh: :wink:**

ewen said:
23596miracle_Drug-med.JPG

my phone call (yeah I know I have a shite phone) to Pax.

Did the same last night... :yes:

Different band, different phone, different person at the other end :flirt:...

...but other than that, the same! :giggle:

Merc said:

:D:up:

:ohmy: You've been a fan for 23 years? :bow:

**Feels very young :laugh: :wink:**

i'm an old fart

why is everyone nodding? especially at the 'fart' bit?

my sister got me into U2. she wasn't a fan herself, she just had October on cassette and I 'aquired' it. I didn't become an uber fan until Live Aid. creepy coincidence, the guy with the big tongue (lol icelle) on the other page, my nephew, was a little baby on my lap while I was watching Live Aid in 1985, on a black & white tv at my sisters.

I kept calling random people on my phone throughout the concert - people I hadn't spoken to in months.
I just wanted to spread the U2 love.

Actually, funny thing - I got a call halfway though SYCMIOYO from a friend of mine who didn't know I was at U2 and doesn't like them apart from that one song. I had a completely delayed reaction - I answered the phone normally and it only registered with me that I was actually in the middle of a concert when she said 'why the hell are you playing Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own so loud?'

:coocoo:

ewen said:
i'm an old fart

Thats your destiny, Ewen... you will forever be known as "The Old Octagon Fart"... :shrug:

:wink:

ewen said:
my sister got me into U2. she wasn't a fan herself, she just had October on cassette and I 'aquired' it. I didn't become an uber fan until Live Aid. creepy coincidence, the guy with the big tongue (lol icelle) on the other page, my nephew, was a little baby on my lap while I was watching Live Aid in 1985, on a black & white tv at my sisters.

:ohmy:

You remember watching Live Aid?

I've already changed timezone with Abby today - you wanna change age with me...? :laugh:

beau2ifulday said:
Actually, funny thing - I got a call halfway though SYCMIOYO from a friend of mine who didn't know I was at U2 and doesn't like them apart from that one song. I had a completely delayed reaction - I answered the phone normally and it only registered with me that I was actually in the middle of a concert when she said 'why the hell are you playing Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own so loud?'

:coocoo:

:lol:

ewen said:

i'm an old fart

I wasn't :cute:ing at the old fart bit, either. ;)

I wish I had a cute "so and so got me into U2 story" but it was really kind of just myself... I'm at fault for my own demise, so to speak. :laugh:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I wish I had a cute "so and so got me into U2 story" but it was really kind of just myself... I'm at fault for my own demise, so to speak. :laugh:

:yes:

:D

My family don't care for them much. My Dad thinks Bono is a twat and my Mum doesn't know anything by them other than Beautiful Day.
And hey. Let's not even start on what my friends think.
:huh:

My mom got me into U2. :yes:

I was telling Ewen that I can remember having the 45 of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"...and I wasn't quite 5 years old. :D

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Nine... to think some of you weren't even born yet (or much older than babies). Now I feel like the old fart! :lol:

Next bar title:

The Octagon Bar: Filled with old farts!

:lol: :eeklaugh: :shifty:

9... :hmm:...that was in '91/'92...

The beginning of the R.E.M./Queen-phase... :laugh:

U2 and I went through a long divorce post-Achtung Baby, I'm ashamed to say. In junior high I went all grunge, followed by a Lilith Fair-type phase when I was all Indigo Girls and Ani di Franco and Sarah McLachlan. It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I started to care about U2 again, and I rediscovered Zooropa and Pop after they completely went over my head as a young teenager.

Learning to love those two albums, oddly enough, really brought me back into the U2 fold. Now I still love them, and U2 really is my very favorite band. After all that...I've come full circle since age 4. ;)

pax said:
U2 and I went through a long divorce post-Achtung Baby, I'm ashamed to say. In junior high I went all grunge, followed by a Lilith Fair-type phase when I was all Indigo Girls and Ani di Franco and Sarah McLachlan. It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I started to care about U2 again, and I rediscovered Zooropa and Pop after they completely went over my head as a young teenager.

Learning to love those two albums, oddly enough, really brought me back into the U2 fold. Now I still love them, and U2 really is my very favorite band. After all that...I've come full circle since age 4. ;)

I lost my way with them when I was in the later years of high school, but I found them again with POP, oddly enough, and when I began talking with my ex. He and I were both huge U2 fans. He even taped and sent me a bunch of Virgin Prunes and Gavin Friday stuff once.

Ah, the advantages of having a SO who's into U2... :slant:

haha, Merc and LMPA - you two are so much more advanced in your musical taste than I was!!

Seriously, I was princess pop. I was 9 in 97/98 (I think), so there was plenty of poptastic bands around to fuel me.
I wouldn't have considered looking twice at U2 or R.E.M. I mean, my first real visual exposure to them was the 'Discotheque' video and I know that didn't do my opinion of them any favours.

Today, of course, is a completely different story. Those BOOMCHA!s get me every time :lol:

beau2ifulday said:

:yes:

:D

My family don't care for them much. My Dad thinks Bono is a twat and my Mum doesn't know anything by them other than Beautiful Day.
And hey. Let's not even start on what my friends think.
:huh:

I remember my father (RIP) banging on my bedroom door when I was a teenager, telling me to "turn that rubbish down". Lets say he didn't care much for U2. He was a Johnny Cash fan....if he had been alive a few years longer he'd have heard Johnny Cash doing The Wanderer on Zooropa! woah, would I have gloated on that!! :lol: oh, and of course Cash's version of 'One' too a few years later.

It was Rattle and Hum that lost me. The movie rather than the album. I love the live footage (yes, ok, so do the PLEBAns!!!) but the part with BB King!!! I can't believe Bono's arogance (spelling?) but we won't go there. I totally went off U2 after seeing the Rattle and Hum outtakes too. Again, I won't go there if you haven't seen them. Anyway, Achtung Baby brought me back. They also lost me with ATYCLB but not to the same degree as with R&H because I Loved the Elevation tour, just not the ATYCLB album.

ewen said:
It was Rattle and Hum that lost me. The movie rather than the album. I love the live footage (yes, ok, so do the PLEBAns!!!) but the part with BB King!!! I can't believe Bono's arogance (spelling?) but we won't go there.

No - go on. Enlighten me - I don't know a whole lot about that era of U2, to be honest.
What was up with Bono's arrogance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom