the new and improved NOW PLAYING...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty Willson-Piper -- Scandinavian Stare

(live)

GibsonGirl said:

I love Ocean Rain. :drool: Have you heard Angels And Devils, an Ocean Rain era B-side? Very good. :up:

I'm trying to download it, but no sources yet :sad: I do like the title, however...can I pretend it's where I got my username?;)

Turquoise days is great, as well..:drool: Thanks again for the special link. your taste in music is sublime :flirt: :wink:

U2 - Kite

Marty Willson-Piper -- I Don't Think So

(live)

angelordevil said:

I'm trying to download it, but no sources yet :sad: I do like the title, however...can I pretend it's where I got my username?;)

Turquoise days is great, as well..:drool: Thanks again for the special link. your taste in music is sublime :flirt: :wink:

What do you mean, you've got no sources? :wink:

http://s53.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=3G1EK6BZC4EBU3SFR5I2SP0ALW

How much of their stuff do you have, by the way? If you're interested, I can upload all of their early 80s work for you. Porcupine is highly recommended if you don't have it! I know how difficult it can be to find their stuff in record stores, so I don't mind. :) I don't own any of the albums they released after 1984 (Ocean Rain, how I love thee) because I frankly think they're shit. Well, I do have Evergreen...but it's not all that great. Think ATYCLB released in 1997 minus the big hits.

Turquoise Days is great! I love how it builds up, filling you with the expectation that it's going to just explode at some point...but then quietens down right before the brink. It's a very sneaky song in that respect. In fact...

Echo & The Bunnymen - Turquoise Days

Sinead O'Connor -- I Am Stretched On Your Grave

GibsonGirl said:

What do you mean, you've got no sources? :wink:

http://s53.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=3G1EK6BZC4EBU3SFR5I2SP0ALW

How much of their stuff do you have, by the way? If you're interested, I can upload all of their early 80s work for you. Porcupine is highly recommended if you don't have it! I know how difficult it can be to find their stuff in record stores, so I don't mind. :) I don't own any of the albums they released after 1984 (Ocean Rain, how I love thee) because I frankly think they're shit. Well, I do have Evergreen...but it's not all that great. Think ATYCLB released in 1997 minus the big hits.

Turquoise Days is great! I love how it builds up, filling you with the expectation that it's going to just explode at some point...but then quietens down right before the brink. It's a very sneaky song in that respect. In fact...

:love: Well, if it's not too much work for you, I'd love to have the early stuff. The only stuff I have so far is from the secret heavenuphere file from an unknown origin. :shifty:

I'm loving what I'm hearing--it's like a missing piece of U2's history come to light. The vocals remind me of Jim Morrison, Bono...and even a slightly tortured shade of Macphisto on Ocean Rain *goosebumps*

Echo & The Bunnymen - Angels And Devils (GibsonGirl/non-Morpheus mix) :drool:

Oasis - Rock n'Roll Star.

Hey Aardie - just spotted you on last.fm! :ohmy: :wink:

angelordevil said:

:love: Well, if it's not too much work for you, I'd love to have the early stuff. The only stuff I have so far is from the secret heavenuphere file from an unknown origin. :shifty:

I'm loving what I'm hearing--it's like a missing piece of U2's history come to light. The vocals remind me of Jim Morrison, Bono...and even a slightly tortured shade of Macphisto on Ocean Rain *goosebumps*

Hooray! Most of my online friends are sick of my E&TB wanking, but I can't help myself. I really love them. Wonderful post-punk. Nothing like getting into an artist's work 21 years after their height...

And I hear you on the "missing piece of U2's history" thing. I always thought that Boy and October were rather original for their time. That was before I heard Crocodiles, Heaven Up Here, and Television's Marquee Moon, all of which were released before U2 did their thing. I think Ian McCulloch (bastard though he is) was almost somewhat justified in slagging off Bono and U2 in their early days. Some of the similarities were striking. Now, there were a lot of major differences between the Bunnymen and U2, of course. U2's early songs, as you know, tended to be a lot more optimistic and suited for mass consumption, while the Bunnymen's tended to be kind of depressing and less radio-friendly. The Edge didn't have that Middle Eastern style that Will Sergeant had on some songs. Bono's hair wasn't nearly as severe as Ian McCulloch's, etc. And by 1984/1985, they were completely different bands - U2 became considerably better and the Bunnymen kind of lost it.

Anyway, enough blabbing:

Crocodiles (1980) - http://www.flickerandfade.org/blah/crocodiles.zip
Porcupine (1983) - http://www.flickerandfade.org/blah/porcupine.zip
Ocean Rain (1984) - http://www.flickerandfade.org/blah/oceanrain.zip

Be sure to check out Going Up, Monkeys, Rescue, Do It Clean (another B-side), The Cutter, Clay, Porcupine, Heads Will Roll, Ripeness (I still think that song was a jab at U2 - the intro, hee), Higher Hell, Silver (what a pop song should be), The Killing Moon ( :drool: best E&TB song ever), and My Kingdom. Those are my favourites!

-------------------------------------------------

Echo And The Bunnymen - Rescue :love:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Hooray! Most of my online friends are sick of my E&TB wanking, but I can't help myself. I really love them. Wonderful post-punk. Nothing like getting into an artist's work 21 years after their height...

And I hear you on the "missing piece of U2's history" thing. I always thought that Boy and October were rather original for their time. That was before I heard Crocodiles, Heaven Up Here, and Television's Marquee Moon, all of which were released before U2 did their thing. I think Ian McCulloch (bastard though he is) was almost somewhat justified in slagging off Bono and U2 in their early days. Some of the similarities were striking. Now, there were a lot of major differences between the Bunnymen and U2, of course. U2's early songs, as you know, tended to be a lot more optimistic and suited for mass consumption, while the Bunnymen's tended to be kind of depressing and less radio-friendly. The Edge didn't have that Middle Eastern style that Will Sergeant had on some songs. Bono's hair wasn't nearly as severe as Ian McCulloch's, etc. And by 1984/1985, they were completely different bands - U2 became considerably better and the Bunnymen kind of lost it.

Anyway, enough blabbing:

Crocodiles (1980) - http://www.flickerandfade.org/blah/crocodiles.zip
Porcupine (1983) - http://www.flickerandfade.org/blah/porcupine.zip
Ocean Rain (1984) - http://www.flickerandfade.org/blah/oceanrain.zip

Be sure to check out Going Up, Monkeys, Rescue, Do It Clean (another B-side), The Cutter, Clay, Porcupine, Heads Will Roll, Ripeness (I still think that song was a jab at U2 - the intro, hee), Higher Hell, Silver (what a pop song should be), The Killing Moon ( :drool: best E&TB song ever), and My Kingdom. Those are my favourites!

-------------------------------------------------

Echo And The Bunnymen - Rescue :love:

:ohmy: :heart: Thanks for taking the time to put this together! You're amazing...I just downloaded all of the links. It's so interesting to hear this stuff after reading about them being a big U2 influence. I really like the free flowing, stream-of-consciousness feel of it...I can hear how they've influenced newer bands, such as The Arcade Fire. It's so great when you uncover a band like this, and share it around *he said, googling E & TB and searching band websites*

I think if I were in the band, I'd be very envious of U2, and their success. But, as you say, U2 really went on to carve out their own territory. I think that's been the key to U2: they take the best of what's around them at any given moment and put their own unique stamp on it.

Echo And The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon :yes: :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom