The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent been in this thread in a loooong time.

I just have to say to my fellow Mets peeps - I'm not thrilled w/ their pitching at all. I think it might be tough to contend again. But then again, no one has good pitching.

Remember back in the day, when a majority of the teams had a solid 3 guys and at least 1 more dependable pitcher? It seems that very few teams even know in spring training who their 3,4, and 5 guys will be.

anyone ever hear of a pitcher from the mid 80s named Phil Monaco? My friend is telling me that he pitched for the Mets in the 80s. My friend is friends w/ this guy and is telling me that he wants to join my fantasy league. I can't find anyone with that name.

Numb1075 said:
Havent been in this thread in a loooong time.

I just have to say to my fellow Mets peeps - I'm not thrilled w/ their pitching at all. I think it might be tough to contend again. But then again, no one has good pitching.

remember..., jose lima, brian bannister, jeremi gonzalez, victor zambrano, alay soler, dave williams and steve trachsel were all a part of the mets starting rotation at some point in the season last season. lima and gonzalez were the 4 and 5 starters through may.

they won 97 games.

i'll take my chances with perez, maine and pelfry. like you said... no one has pitching. the phillies are jumping for joy 'cause they have jon lieber and 52 year old jamie moyer. whoopity doo. outside of houston and maybe milwaukee and san francisco, no one has any pitching.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'll take my chances with perez, maine and pelfry. like you said... no one has pitching. the phillies are jumping for joy 'cause they have jon lieber and 52 year old jamie moyer. whoopity doo. outside of houston and maybe milwaukee and san francisco, no one has any pitching.

From what little I've seen of him, I think Maine will do very well for them. If Pedro comes back and Glavine is his usual self, they would form a solid Top 3 in a weak NL, me thinks. And El Duque, despite being who knows how old now, can still get quality starts for them, too.

With that offense, I think it will be difficult for them to lose the NL East this year.

lasordasleeps.jpg

outside of houston and maybe milwaukee and san francisco, no one has any pitching.

unless Clemens comes back to save them, Houston's pitching is pretty bad. They have Oswalt and Jennings and a whole lot of nothing.

the Brewers might have the best rotation in the national league.

Numb1075 said:
phillyfan- what is the projected starting 5 for philly?

They were planning on dealing Lieber for bullpen help, but it fell through, so they have six starters right now. They're now planning on keeping Lieber and moving one guy to the pen. It's uncertain as to who, but I'd make this prediction:

Brett Myers
Freddy Garcia
Jon Lieber
Cole Hamels
Jamie Moyer

... with Adam Eaton in the bullpen.

This could possibly be the best starting rotation in the National League if all produce as expected. The possible sources of error: Myers says he's struggling to adjust to pitching without his normal weight, as he's lost about 25 pounds; Hamels is still young and relatively unproven; it generall takes Lieber till August to get in a groove because he comes every year out of shape (and this is not exxagerated at all - look at his stats). Moyer is very consistent and brings the same game every fifth day. Garcia feels more rested after the offseason and is working to get his velocity back.

Hewson's list was actually the starting five of the Sixers. They intend to draft an unknown high school prospect with the third overall pick, and Billy King wants to pay him triple the market value.

by "produce as expected" you mean mediocrity, right? i mean, mediocrity might be good in the national league... but sorry if that rotation doesn't strike fear in my heart.

Only Myers and Hamels can be dominant in spots, so I'd say above average at best. Whatever gets it done.

Our bullpen on the other hand is an absolute trainwreck.

phillyfan26 said:

Only Myers and Hamels can be dominant in spots, so I'd say above average at best. Whatever gets it done.

Our bullpen on the other hand is an absolute trainwreck.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Hamels can do with a full season :up:

The big beef with Lieber is how long he takes to start pitching well. He sacrifices the first 4 months to have a good last 2.

The Phils' achilles heel has been how they start the season.

Lieber was a small gamble the Yanks took, since he was coming off of major arm surgery. He gave them a really solid year, and, then his salary demands were kind of high, so the Yanks let him walk. It's not like the released him or dealt him for crappy minor leaguers. I was bummed when they let him walk but turned around and signed Jarret Wright (wrong) and Carl Pavano.

One person you can never be too harsh on is Hall of Fame Fool, Pete Rose. Pete has admitted to not only betting on baseball, but his own team every day for the 1987 season. Rose somehow thinks this will open the door for baseball to reinstate him and thus make him eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame. Think again, Pete! Pete also has it in his head that he's the ambassador of baseball. Maybe in bizarro world, Pete. I think the only thing that Pete Rose has solidified is that he will NEVER be in the Baseball HOF.

I think Freddy Garcia could be excellent for the Phillies, he has decent stuff and it is the NL after all...

So there's this Armando Benitez to Boston thing floating around...personally I'd rather they just brought BK Kim back. Benitez + Boston = trainwreck, bet on it (Pete would).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom