The long weekend pts 1-3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
I found this short story on my comp while sorting out my other stuff, I just wrote it for a laugh so thought I would post it here
Disclaimer
This never really happened and more likely never will ...just a figment of my imagination and a lighthearted look at Bono a little bit in the future coping with his teenage daughters dating and having boyfriends..

"My Jordan is dating some little pipsqueak called Steve out of some poxy boyband!!!.. when the hell did this all happen? and how come didn't I know about it until now?" Bono exploded as he sat on the edge of the bed unbuttoning his shirt

Ali rolled her eyes, "Well maybe because you were so caught up this last year with your tour with the band, that you never give it much thought.. I did mention it to you a few months ago when you were in Mexico when I phoned you, but you were pretty drunk at the time, I don't think you cared too much"

"I remember you saying she had met a guy called Steve, I thought he was someone she had met at college, and I thought it was not serious.. that they were just friends.. how come she never mentioned anything about him when I spoke to her over email and the phone?" Bono then demanded frowning

"Bono she is seventeen now she is becoming a young woman, she likes her own privacy and doesn't feel compelled to tell us about everything that is going on in her life"

"But he is three years older than her.. and in a boy band" Bono protested

"Will you stop saying that as if it is some sort of crime" Ali chided him, "Actually I have met him a few times he seems like a very nice lad.. and I am not sure it is that serious between them"

"I should hope not" Bono replied, "How did they meet anyway?"

"It happened about four months ago, the band Steve is in.. Zoom, they were playing in Dublin afterwards they had a bit of a party to celebrate the end of the tour, Jordan was invited along with Eve and some of their other friends, they whined till I agreed to let them go.. and I didn't see the harm of it at the time" Ali replied,

"I never realised they had become romantically involved till a few weeks later I heard Eve teasing Jordan about them always talking to each other on the phone, and it seems Eve read Steve's text message on Jordan's phone telling her he loved her.. it was a revelation to me.. thats when I phoned you about it" Ali informed him

"And now I find out she has invited him to stay here, at our home this weekend, I take it she did get your ok for this" Bono asked

"Well of course, at least this way we can keep an eye on them" Ali replied

"Well yeah.. I guess that is one way of looking at it" Bono agreed thoughtfully, "I can't believe this is happening though, my daughter having a boyfriend, she is still so young" he then frowned

Ali smiled wryly "I was still at school when you fell in love with me.. was I too young?"

"Was it that long ago?" Bono's eyes widen in realisation "It only seems like yesterday, time really has flown in, its just hitting me now" he finished soberly "And its all feels so different now, having the responsability of being a parent and looking out for your kids espicially my girls turning into young women... it's given me a whole new perspective... I am not sure I like it though"

Ali came and sat next to him on the bed and put her arms around him, "Don't feel too bad babe, I reckon we have done a pretty good job getting them this far.. we have a lot to be proud of"

"Yeah I guess so" Bono replied then was hit with another thought "You have had discussions about boys and sex and all that stuff with the girls?" he asked anxiously.

"Don't worry all those bases have been covered.. Jordan is a sensible girl, we have to give her a certain amount of trust" Ali told him

"It's not her I don't trust.. its this guy Steve" Bono replied making Ali laugh

"Whats so funny?" Bono demanded

"You sounded just like my father"

"Oh Gawd I really am getting old" Bono groaned in dismay burying his face in Ali's shoulder.

"Not to old to give me some of your sweet lovin?"Ali asked in a teasing husky voice

"Hmmm" Bono suddenly perked up, and started nuzzling her neck, "I am never too old for that"
he replied pulling her back on the bed.

TWO
Soooo, this is the big day huh?" Bono sat at the breakfast table addressing his daughter Jordan who sat across from him finishing her toast "Your..um friend Steve is coming later today" Bono balked at the idea of of referring to Steve as as Jordan's boyfriend

"Hmmm" Jordan replied as she swallowed the last of her toast, He will be here around two o'clock Mum is taking me to meet him up at the airport" she glowed as she smiled thinking about it, "I can't wait"

"Good" Bono replied as enthuastic as he could force himself to be with his fixed smile on his face, "It will be nice to meet him, I mean him being in the ah music business as such, we should have some things in common"

Jordan shot her father a dry look, "I doubt it" she grinned, "Which reminds me dad, when Steve comes please don't act like you are all hip and cool and with it in front of him.. its kindda embarrasing for me"

"Hey I don't need to act hip and cool" Bono protested lifting the cereal box shaking it and looking inside to find there was none left.

"I am hip and cool" he corrected her.

Jordan rolled her eyes as she got up from the table, "Sure, whatever you say Dad" she drawled

"Its true" Bono insisted "I am the epitime of hip and cool, a lot of people think so... isn't that right?" Bono looked round at Ali for reassurance

"Of course you are dear" Ali replied kissing him on the cheek, "Now have some Coco pops.. its all we have left" she put the new box of cereal on the table on front of him.

"Great" he gleamed "I love Coco pops"

Just then Elijah arrived in the kitchen and frowned at his father, "You are eating my Coco pops!" he accused indignatly

"Blame your sisters, they finished of the cornflakes" Bono informed him as he poured a generous amount of milk over his bowl of coco pops, "Besides, there is still plenty left for you"

"I suppose so, but Mam buys those Coco pops specially for me" Elijah pouted sitting up on the chair shooting his father a grievious glare"

"What happened to caring and sharing around here" Bono muttered as he handed his son the cereal box and left him possesively holding onto it as he turned his attention back on Jordan, who was helping Ali put the dishes in the dishwasher.

"So you and this Steve guy.. you really like him then?" he enquired in what he hoped was a casual manner

"Yeah" Jordan smiled, Bono noticed the glowing smile again and felt his heart sink a little as she continued

"We get on really well, and he is fun to be with, not to mention that he is drop dead goregous, and half the females across Europe fancy him like mad, I can't believe he is really interested in me"

"Well as long as it's you he is interested in" Bono said sagely

Jordan frowned over at her father "What is that suppose to mean?"

"Well y'know" Bono give a quick shrug as he took another spoonful of his Coco pops, "He knows who you are, being my daughter, maybe thats what has impressed him, with me being so famous and everything.. probably thinks he is onto a good thing publicity wise"

Jordan gaped at her father in disbelief "Really Dad, I know this is going to be hard for you to take in but not everything in the world has to be about you" she retorted.

"Look I am just trying to say be careful thats all.. these guys you don't know what goes through their heads, I mean being seen out and about with you, like I said it would be great publicity for him" Bono explained in what he thought was a reasonable point

"Well I can put your mind at ease, thats not how it is, he has told very little people about us, and we intend to keep it that way...he is not like that" she stated

"Well I suppose you would know better than me" Bono remarked with another shrug

"Yes I do, and the whole idea of this weekend is for you and mam to get to know him too, but don't come of with stupid things like that in front of him.. or I will never forgive you" she warned

"Your father is only showing concern cos he cares about you Jordan..you can't blame him for that" Ali chastised her, noticing the disconcerted look on Bono's face at Jordan's outburst, "Its his job.. our job to look out for you"

"I know" Jordan replied shooting her dad an apologetic look, "But I want to make a good impression, I want this weekend to be fun and everything to go right"

"It will, Steve and your dad will probably get on great" Ali soothed her giving her a hug "It will be a great weekend" she added mentally crossing her fingers that it would indeed go by without too much hassle.

THREE
Whilist Ali took Jordan and Elijah with her to pick up Steve from the airport Bono stayed behind with Eve and their youngest son John, bracing himself for meeting Jordan's new boyfriend as he stood in his bedroom checking himself out in the mirror, what if he had a few grey hairs.. he reckoned he still looked good he smiled with satisfaction,

Why had finding out his oldest daughter was dating suddenly made him feel old.. he wasn't sure.. but for the past two nights he had been having anxiety attacks thinking about that and the involvment of Jordan with this Steve.. despite the squeaky clean images these boy bands like to go with,

Bono was very aware that they could be involved with sex drink and drugs as much as the good old heavy rock'n rollers, he had spent all these years protecting his daughters from that side of his own life. was this Steve going to undo all the good he had done?

He would have a few words to say if that was the case, then there was all those screaming little groupies.. was Jordan aware of the temptation put in front of her boyfriend.. did she care or was she just niave believing he wouldn't get involved with that..

He didnt want his daughter get hurt or let down, this dating thing had brought out a fiercly protective side of him, but he knew he could not lock up his daughters and keep them safe forever.. they had to live their own lives.. he just didnt realise it would be this soon.

"I can handle this" he told his reflection, "I am cool with this, and I won't let Jordan down"

Unbeknown to him Eve was passing by and overheard him, and she stopped in her tracks

"You talking to yourself dad?" she enquired coming into the room "You know what they say the sign of that is.. madness" she grinned deciding to tease him

"I wasn't talking to myself" Bono denied turning to face her trying not to look like a kid who had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar "I was just thinking up some Lyrics for a new song and saying them aloud" he informed her

"Oh yeah.. good lyrics those 'I can handle this... I won't let Jordan down" Eve repeated mockingly

Her father looked flustered and defensively changed the subject, "What where you doing spying on me anyway.. you should be looking after your little brother"

"I wasn't spying on you, and John is sleeping, I was on my way down from his room, when I overheard you" Eve corrected him, she eyed him with amusment,

"Meeting Steve has got you in a bit of a state, I hope you can handle it better when I bring my boyfriend home"

Bono visibly paled "You can't have a boyfriend yet.. you are too young"

Eve laughed "Relax dad, you don't have to worry yet, I am happy free and single.. though there are a few boys who have shown interest in me" she added airly deciding to toyi with him, "so y'never know"

"Eve, if you are trying to give me a heart attack you are going the right way about it" Bono warned

"Sorry Dad" she apologised coming over and putting her arm through his, "Tell you what, if you don't like Steve I will take him out for ya"

Bono grinned "Thats a very kind offer, but I don't think your sister will like it"

"Gawd she is so full of herself about him" Eve frowned in disgust "she is getting on my nerves.. Steve this and Steve that, I will be glad when this weekend is over"

"You are not the only one" Bono replied looking wistful

"Dad... this is Steve" Jordan introduced proudly a few hours later.

Bono held out his hand smiling at the blonde haired young man standing in front of him.. just as he thought he was babyfaced all overwhite gleaming smile, squeaky clean look about him, a typical boyband clone.. what did Jordan see in him???

"Its nice to meet you Mr H" Steve beamed as he vigorously shook Bono's hand, "J is always talking about you"

"J?" Bono repeated looking at Steve stupidly

"Oh I mean Jordan" Steve grinned shooting her a look of open affection, she giggled as she slipped her arm through his, then explained to her father "Thats his pet name for me, J, isn't it cute?"

"Um yes, I guess so" Bono replied trying to ignore Eve, who was standing behind her sister and Steve pretending to put her finger down her throat in the motion she was going to gag,

She was quickly nudged by her mother who stood next to her shooting her a warning frown to behave.

"I've really been looking forward to meeting you" Steve then said "You and Mrs H seem like such cool parents"

"Really, not sure if I am allowed to be cool" Bono remarked shooting Jordan a meaningful look, andwatching cheeks flushed a bright red in guilt.

"C'mon Steve I want to show you the rest of the house" she then said hurriedly leading him away.

Bono watched her with him. The way she smiled at him adoringly like she only had eyes for him, hanging onto his every word.. when she was little she use to smile at him that way, he pushed aside the pang of jealousy he felt rising inside him.. this was going to be one long weekend.

Very, VERY good concept annj! And great story so far. Can't wait to see how the weekend pans out!

Back
Top Bottom