The fear of a new influenza-pandemia ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
...might it not only be a possible real danger for everybody's health, but also a danger for U2's tour plans this year. What do you think? Were there ever tours cancelled because of a situation like this? Don't want to panic that much, but the news, that reaches us here from Mexico City today (no mess, no concerts, no mass congregation, a city & state under shock) is not encouraging at all. My thoughts are with the 'victims' at this very moment ...:hmm:

I personally don't see this affecting tour plans... governments in Mexico and the US have been working very hard, it looks like, to stop this from spreading. The last thing that is good for us is panic.

Although living in a major Texas city bisected by the NAFTA superhighway, I personally am staying vigilant.

The U.S. has declared a public health emergency regarding this, which in essence is supposed to mean that the local, state and federal governments will be able to react more quickly and easily to this stuff. There's a thread similar to this in "Free Your Mind..." Who knows how far this flu has/will spread? :confused:

The U.S. has declared a public health emergency regarding this, which in essence is supposed to mean that the local, state and federal governments will be able to react more quickly and easily to this stuff. There's a thread similar to this in "Free Your Mind..." Who knows how far this flu has/will spread? :confused:

Yes, I now took a look there, too and saw you picking up my point. But I really don't see it right in "Free Your Mind", because all this might affect the tour very "on-topic". :|

This will not effect the tour. IF this is still declared a public health emergency in September then we have much much bigger problems on our hands than a canceled tour.

Agreed. I will be more concerned about my health and everyone else's than going to a concert

I don't see this having a effect on the tour and really this should be in FYM.

If it spreads to Europe and is not contained by the time the tour starts in June then it could very well effect things tour wise. We'll see. Maybe a stadium full of people with masks on.

Last edited:
IF this is still declared a public health emergency in September then we have much much bigger problems on our hands than a canceled tour.

Ahem, sorry, but nobody does doubt this, I guess. :ohmy: We'll have to wait and see, I guess. But my initial question was not about creating any artificial hysteria or panic, but a simple question: Has anybody heard of or witnessed a concert tour/sports event being cancelled because of health issues or public safety issues?

I've never heard of anything like a sporting event or concert ever canceled due to something like this.

My point earlier was that these things usually get contained fairly quickly in this day and age, if this is still an issue in September then that would be pretty bad...

I've never heard of anything like a sporting event or concert ever canceled due to something like this.

My point earlier was that these things usually get contained fairly quickly in this day and age, if this is still an issue in September then that would be pretty bad...

Mate, no problem, I got you – and thanx for answering my question:up:

If it spreads to Europe and is not contained by the time the tour starts in June then it could very well effect things tour wise. We'll see. Maybe a stadium full of people with masks on.

Adam says bring it on!! :lol:

adam-pop.jpg

Dr. Michael Osterholm (pandemic expert superfreak) was interviewed this morning and compared this outbreak to the 1918 outbreak that killed millions worldwide. He said the 1918 outbreak started as a mild flu outbreak that seemed contained initially and then subsided for a couple of months. It returned in the stronger form and then went on to kill worldwide.

So, I think this is relevant to the tour if nothing else for people to stay up-to-date and be aware of how to avoid flu. I guess masks can help, but really it comes down to good hygiene and LOTS of hand washing.

Mark

Medical standards were a little different in 1918.

But of course it's a situation that needs to be watched.
I just think the media always loves to blow things like this out of proportion.
I saw a report today where they said it can hardly be called a sudden flu outbreak, because it has been going on in Mexiko since early March.
We have a flu outbreak here every year and there are always people dying of it, mostly older people.
I think it's right to keep things in perspective, we had the bird flu hysteria here back in 2003, but of course it's important to watch the further development of this particular virus.

Medical standards were a little different in 1918.

But of course it's a situation that needs to be watched.
I just think the media always loves to blow things like this out of proportion.
I saw a report today where they said it can hardly be called a sudden flu outbreak, because it has been going on in Mexiko since early March.
We have a flu outbreak here every year and there are always people dying of it, mostly older people.
I think it's right to keep things in perspective, we had the bird flu hysteria here back in 2003, but of course it's important to watch the further development of this particular virus.

No doubt medical standards were different in 1918, but it was really the response of governments (or lack of) that allowed the 1918 flu to spread, not so much any lack of medical knowledge of influenza. This is something to pay attention to, and deserves the media focus.

I am just defending the relevance of this to U2's Tour here on the this MB. A lot of fans here will be traveling for the tour and will be in close contact with other people. There are threads about waiting in the GA line and whether to bring umbrellas and sunblock, so why not talk about a communicable disease, too?

There is a ton of stuff on the 1918 outbreak online. Here's the Wikipedia entry...

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark

No doubt medical standards were different in 1918, but it was really the response of governments (or lack of) that allowed the 1918 flu to spread, not so much any lack of medical knowledge of influenza. This is something to pay attention to, and deserves the media focus.

I am just defending the relevance of this to U2's Tour here on the this MB. A lot of fans here will be traveling for the tour and will be in close contact with other people. There are threads about waiting in the GA line and whether to bring umbrellas and sunblock, so why not talk about a communicable disease, too?
:up: only time will tell if this will be an issue or not, and hopefully it won't. however, individuals taking steps to prevent spreading of disease and knowledge about the outbreak is always a good thing. (god, i sound like one of those "the more you know" clips)

Its in Scotland now

Hope it does not affect tours

Spain has confirmed cases too

of all the cities to kick off a pandemic, it has to hit the biggest city in the world

still weird why no non-mexicans have died yet

Perhaps the americans have been killing the mexicans themselves just to create some fear and then they can blame some terrorists and then start another war?

or have i been watching TOO much South Park?

Back
Top Bottom