The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought you might enjoy this interview, especially because the poor interviewer didn't have a clue who the hell he was talking to! :lol: It's soooo very Steve! I bet he was laughing his ass off! :laugh:

Actually other than the interviewer not having a clue it's not all that bad of an interview.

by Patrick Emery

It’s 12.30 and I’m due to receive a call from The Church founding member and bass player Marty Willson-Piper about their forthcoming Australian tour. The phone rings and a voice says “Hi, this is Jack Robinson. Steve Kilbey couldn’t make it today so I’m doing the interview instead.” Slightly thrown, and assuming the well spoken English public school accent does indeed belong to Willson-Piper, I reply that that’s OK, but I was expecting to speak to Marty Willson-Piper. “Oh really? Well I can be anyone you want me to be,” Robinson/Willson-Piper replies. How about the late Arthur Lee, I suggest? “I can be Arthur if you like.” So with slightly odd introduction this particular journey with The Church is away.

The Church seem to have been around for an eternity. They were one of the first bands who championed the visual style of the 1960s – paisley shirts, stove pipe jeans and winkle-picker boots – and the dirty psychedelic sounds that accompanied the stormy clouds of the end of that era. Based around the song-writing talents of Steve Kilbey and Willson-Piper, The Church have carved out a reputation as one of the country’s most consistent bands, with classic songs such as Unguarded Moment, Almost With You, Metropolis and Under The Milky Way betraying a body of work that’s as deep artistically as it is voluminous. The band’s value to the national psyche even led Under The Milky Way to being performed (with orchestral accompaniment) during the opening ceremony at this year’s Commonwealth Games.

The conversation with Willson-Piper continues to evolve in strange ways, focusing on attempts in western society to find meaning and purpose in the face of the permanent white water of change and uncertainty that surrounds our daily existence. When I suggest this uncertainty underpins the rise of outer-suburban evangelical churches, Willson-Piper has a better suggestion. “I don’t they’re going to find it there,” he replies. “They might be turning there in a misguided attempt to find some spiritual answers. Unless I’m mistaken; maybe there are some pastors and priests who actually are dishing the good oil. But I think people should look to space rock bands like The Church, and only there will they find it. And by coming and seeing The Church when we play in Melbourne all spiritual questions will be known. The unknown will be made known – otherwise we will give a money-back guarantee,” Willson-Piper says.

So it’s a ‘no enlightenment, no pay’ policy? “Exactly! People will be enlightened. The trouble with enlightenment, though, is it should be permanent but it only happens for the moment; the band hits that chord, the singer sings that word or the painter paints the stroke – and for a second you go ‘now I fucking understand everything’ and then the second’s gone and then you hunger. But if it’s a really good band they can give you thousands of seconds like that,” Willson-Piper muses with enthusiasm. It’s a case of looking through the fog and seeing the light, I suggest. “Or at least glimpsing the possibility of what could be beyond the mundanity,” Willson-Piper counters. “The band opens a door in a world, and for an hour and a half you step into that world and all the rest of the shit’s fucking meaningless because it’s all making sense inside that music.”

Having debunked the relevance of the Hillsong Church revivalist movement, it’s time to cover some more secular territory. The Church has spent the last two years playing acoustic shows, including a series of sold-out shows in the United States that attracting some of the band’s most lavish reviews. The Church will returns to full electric mode for its forthcoming Australian show to promote the release of its new album, Uninvited, Like the Clouds. Willson-Piper says the band prefers the acoustic format (“it doesn’t hurt my ears,” he says with a tired tone), yet he recognises that the fans yearn for the full electric model.

While the quality of the band’s reputation in the United States and Europe suggests it’s under-appreciated in Australia, Willson-Piper says the percentage is about the same in the band’s major markets. “I think the English, the Americans, the Australians, the Canadians and the New Zealanders all ‘get’ The Church in the same amount.” Despite this, Willson-Piper says the band’s recent American tour has illustrated a different demographic trend. “I think there’s a weird thing afoot in America with us and we’re becoming a bit of a locus, where certain different types of people are getting into it,” Willson-Piper says. “There are a few of the old college radio types but there’s a lot of 30ish hippies who are looking for a Grateful Dead type of band. And then there’s a lot of rich business people who listen to the best music, tertiary educated people, doctors, lawyers, professors. I’m continually shocked in America by the stream of those people who say ‘my favourite band is The Church’,” Kilbey laughs.

The conversation returns briefly to the earlier topic of psychedelia, spiritualism, escapism and space rock. “Psychedelia is the intent to use the music to take people to that other place, to bend their minds, to borrow their brains and – without drugs and just with music – pull off a drug-like experience. It’s about inducing the feeling of lift-off, the weightlessness, the loneliness, the bliss, the infinity and eternity of space. That’s what space rock bands are all about.” But, Willson-Piper recognises that not everyone wants to open the doors of perception. “I have ascertained in my lifetime that there are people for whom getting into that mood has absolutely no fascination for them at all, no appeal. That is why psychedelia and space rock will never be the number one thing that dominates the charts. But there will always be a need for it, there’s always a need for people to put on music that makes them feel like they're belting along on an astral plane.”

Willson-Piper concludes with his own tongue-in-cheek neo-Leary hope for the future. “Wouldn’t it be amazing if just for a couple of years it took over and everybody was doing it – it’d be hilarious!” But he is no superficial hippie; if there is a mass-psychedelia movement in the wings it would be nice if it afforded The Church some tangible reward. “And on a greedy note,” Willson-Piper says, “it’d be great if The Church got dragged along in the wake,” he laughs.

beat magazine

Last edited:
hahahahaha :lol: How funny, I was JUST reading this article today in Beat magazine at my sisters!

It's actually quite a good interview tho isn't it .. the *confusion* part of it is sooo funny (and so Steve, no doubt!)

I'm pretty sure his "Jack Robinson" bit was an impersonation of Rob Dickinson -- he did a pretty extensive one for me (including a reference to a comment I made on his blog a couple of months ago on the lines of "I'd take one of those sycophantic boys like Rob D" Gah! that guy has one hell of a memory! :yikes: ) just last week. It was hilarious! He loves to do stuff like that. Always make me laugh. :)

:) hehe .. I so love his sharp wit and sense of humour! I could listen to him talk for hours I think!

Tho' must say he was fairly quiet on Saturday night! I'd imagine he really didn't have enough time to be the chatterbox we've all come to know and love ... I think they were running pretty late :(

The Churchlings are going to be appearing with the Pretenders (and Paul Kelly at some shows also) in Australia in Jan/Feb. These are the dates so far:

Official Gigs advertised so far: http://www.adayonthegreen.com.au/

Fri 26th Jan - Moorilla Estate, Hobart Tas - The Pretenders & The Church
Sat 27th Jan - Rochford Wines, Yarra Valley Vic - The Pretenders, Josh Pyke,
Paul Kelly & The Church

Fri 2nd Feb - State Theatre Sydney with The Pretenders
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/eventprofiles/profiles.asp?profileid=3282

Sat 3rd Feb - Bimbadgen Est. Hunter Valley NSW with The Pretenders & Paul
Kelly & Angus & Julia Stone

And Steve mentioned he and Marty are going to be doing some shows during Nov/Dec too. Those shows sound as if they could be a lot of fun. You know I get to see the full band when they tour here, but often I feel more envious about these things (and the GB3 album launch -- did you get to go to that TranceEnding?) more because it's not very likely I'll ever get to see those types of shows. :( But I still love that they are doing them, even if I can't go.

Oh! Steve is doing a solo performance at the World Vegan Day celebration in Melbourne on Oct 29. His bit is at 3 pm.
Click here for more info. :)

And there's more! The band is going to be recording in Nov/Dec too! yay!!! Plus Steve is working on a whole shitload of side projects too.

It's such a good time to be a Church/Kilbey fan. :)

Cheers, Indra. Now that's a line up!!! But are they coming to my neck of the woods!!!! :madwife: And some nice venues (I've been to Moorilla Estate when on hols in Tasmania and it's gorgeous, nice vino too :wink: )

Well, must keep an eye out for those solo shows....:)

OH :hyper: MY :hyper: GOD :hyper:

Please don't announce anything more, haha ... I'm having a heart attack here! (But in a good way ..)

Just finished reading SK's blog entry for the day, and already I'm hyped up about the Steve/Marty gigs :ohmy:

But I had NOOOO idea they are going to tour with the Pretenders!!!!

Oh my goodness, I don't know whether I'm coming or going at the moment, haha :wink:

Oh my .... *calm down Mel!!!*

Oh my goodness, thank you soooooo much Indra for all the news!!!!

The Church!
The Pretenders!!!!!
Steve & Marty!!!

All my Xmas's are coming at once I think! Oh please, please, please, Steve & Marty .. don't play Melbourne on Nov 18/19! haha

Oh, Indra .. YES! I went to the GB3 launch last Friday night and had a blast! It was a great show! Seeing Steve again was wonderful ... and I was excited to see Sarah Blasko as well, I quite like her music :) Right in the front again too ... I was so mad with myself that I didn't take my camera this time!

Oh my goodness! And Vegan Day!!! Thank you for the info ... I read SKs blog and thought ... WHAT Vegan Day, haha! So I'm going to try to go!!!

OK .. excuse me while I go happy dancing!!!! :dancing:

TranceEnding said:
Oh please, please, please, Steve & Marty .. don't play Melbourne on Nov 18/19! haha
:ohmy: Don't even think about that scenario ...

Hopefully I might get to catch a show with you when i'm in Melbourne - keep me posted ok?

That would be fantastic!! :wink: Shall keep fingers crossed!!

Hope you don't mind if I choose Steve and Marty over Bono though, haha *evil laugh*

Hi U2 Bliss, I'll do my very best to indoctrinate you! :D

Just got an email from the Church site. Here's the info so far.

JANUARY 2007
Saturday 20th - a day on the green, ANNIES LANE ESTATE, Clare Valley SA
The Pretenders + Paul Kelly & the Boon Companions + The Church + Josh Pyke

Sunday 21st - HARVEST FESTIVAL, Red Hill, Mornington Peninsula VIC
The Church headlining + other acts tba

Monday 22nd - TWIN TOWNS, Gold Coast QLD
The Pretenders + The Church

Friday 26th - a day on the green, MOORILLA ESTATE, Hobart TAS

Saturday 27th - a day on the green, ROCHFORD WINES, Yarra Valley VIC
The Pretenders + Paul Kelly & the Boon Companions + The Church + Josh Pyke

Sunday 28th - an evening on the green, SANDALFORD WINES, Swan Valley WA
The Pretenders + Paul Kelly & the Boon Companions + The Church + Kill Devil
Hills

FEBRUARY 2007
Thursday 1st - EVAN THEATRE, Penrith Sydney NSW

Friday 2nd - STATE THEATRE, Sydney NSW

Sat 3rd - a day on the green, BIMBADGEN ESTATE, Hunter Valley NSW
The Pretenders + Paul Kelly & the Boon Companions + The Church + Angus &
Julia Stone

Reserved seating and general admission tickets from Ticketmaster Ph 136 100
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/

Tix for MOORILLA ESTATE go on sale 28th Oct 2006
Tix for ANNIES LANE, ROCHFORD WINES, STATE THEATRE AND BIMBADGEN ESTATE go
on sale 13 Nov 2006

Tickets for Harvest Festival go on sale 6th November - check their website
for further information.
http://www.harvestfestival.com.au/

All others to be advised. Keep checking our website or venues.

And here are the dates for the SK and MWP shows:

Steve Kilbey and Marty Willson-Piper will be performing together on the following dates in Australia in 2006! Will it be acoustic, electric, 12 strings at the ready, spark vs the blessed one? all of these questions, questions without answers!

You'll have to go see them to find out. Make it a date! Further updates and news will be posted on our official website.

NOVEMBER 2006

Tues 21st Nov - SANDRINGHAM HOTEL *THE SANDO* 387 King St. Newtown, Sydney
NSW
Phone 02 9557 1254

Tues 28th Nov - SANDRINGHAM HOTEL *THE SANDO* 387 King St. Newtown (Sydney)
NSW
Phone 02 9557 1254

DECEMBER 2006

Wed 6th Dec - The Clarendon Hotel, 68 Lurline Street, Katoomba (Blue Mtns)
NSW
Phone 02 4782 1322
http://www.clarendonguesthouse.com.au/

Wed 13th Dec - Northcote Social Club, 301 High St Northcote (Melbourne) VIC
Phone 03 9486 1677
http://www.northcotesocialclub.com/

Sun 17th Dec - Troubadour, Level 2, 322 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley
(Brisbane) QLD
Phone 07 3252 2626
http://www.thetroubadour.com.au/

I suspect there will be other dates too. Maybe not both SK and MWP, but one or the other. I'll make sure to post any info I find. :)

Thank you SO very much Indra!!! I think I've got the email from the Church website, but I just haven't gone to check it yet!

Oh my goodness, this is amazing news! THANK GOODNESS the SK/MWP gig in Melbourne is on Dec 13 .. phew! That's awesome!

I might actually be in Perth in January, but I really hope I'll be back in Melbourne for the Church/Pretenders concert on Jan 27!!!

Oh my goodness, so many concerts ... so little money, haha! I really do hope I finally win the lotto this weekend!!! :wink:

Thanks a million Indra :) Feel like flying down to Australia for a little holiday :) ?!?!?!?!

Yes, Indra, what do you say??? :D Reptile and I can show you all the wineries in the Clare Valley, er, I mean take you to the Day on the Green ..... :shifty:

Wow, what a line up!!!!

indra said:
Hi U2 Bliss, I'll do my very best to indoctrinate you! :D

Hi Indra - been enjoying your posts ...esp some of those funny little stories you tell. Hmmm but that photo of Steve in shorts....enough said!!!

I’ve been looking at this thread ever since I joined interference, the subject line intrigued me at first – thought to myself 'what is Trance Ending up to" - little did I know there are more like minded souls out there. So I almost feel like I’m treading on sacred territory putting a post on this thread. Can the unconverted actually post here???

Oh Trance Ending is a fine ambassador for trying to convert lost souls to the Church or should that be “Marty Wilson Piper’ ?? To be honest she really needs no assistance she just needs to keep persisting. She has this natural talent of just chipping away at you until one day without realizing you have become a fan of one of her fave artists. I actually like a lot of The Church's earlier stuff - the unguarded moment, almost with you, Tristesse, Columbus, Tantalized (oh god I just love that opening guitar line) come to mind. TE as you know, I sometimes get overwhelmed by other artists and selective musical hearing kicks in - just keep chipping away okay....hmmm maybe i need to actually see them live? Can i tempt you to stay a bit longer in Perth and we'll catch them at Sandleford????

U2 Bliss said:

Hi Indra - been enjoying your posts ...esp some of those funny little stories you tell. Hmmm but that photo of Steve in shorts....enough said!!!

Glad you like the posts. I tend to really love the funny stuff myself because so often the band and band members are perceived as all doom and gloom but that's not really accurate. I've heard interviews with them that are so funny I'm practically rolling on the floor I'm laughing so hard. They are amazingly funny and I like to bring that aspect of them out (as I don't think many people realise it).

Re: the shorts -- sometimes I can't help wondering "what was he thinking?" :huh: The polka dotted shorts are one of those times. :wink:

I’ve been looking at this thread ever since I joined interference, the subject line intrigued me at first – thought to myself 'what is Trance Ending up to" - little did I know there are more like minded souls out there. So I almost feel like I’m treading on sacred territory putting a post on this thread. Can the unconverted actually post here???

Oh course you can post in this thread! The more the merrier (well except for the twit who said "I'm tired of reading about the Church" he can fuck off. :mad: of course he did bump the thread back to the top. :wink: ). I love discussing the Church and am frighteningly excited when new people ask about them. I', suck a dork sometimes. :rolleyes: I know what you mean though -- there are threads where I most definitely feel like an intruder. I can see how this thread might feel that way, but it's not intentional. :)

Oh Trance Ending is a fine ambassador for trying to convert lost souls to the Church or should that be “Marty Wilson Piper’ ?? To be honest she really needs no assistance she just needs to keep persisting. She has this natural talent of just chipping away at you until one day without realizing you have become a fan of one of her fave artists. I actually like a lot of The Church's earlier stuff - the unguarded moment, almost with you, Tristesse, Columbus, Tantalized (oh god I just love that opening guitar line) come to mind. TE as you know, I sometimes get overwhelmed by other artists and selective musical hearing kicks in - just keep chipping away okay....hmmm maybe i need to actually see them live? Can i tempt you to stay a bit longer in Perth and we'll catch them at Sandleford????

So happy to hear that TE is such a good proselytiser for the Church (and Marty too)! There is a pretty cool live version of Tantalised on YouTube. It just shot by an audience member and it's very dark, but it's still really fun to watch. MWP is having a GREAT time on it! I think I put up a link to it somewhere in this thread, but I forget where now. I'll see if I can find the link again and put it up tomorrow or sometime.

blueeyedgirl said:
Yes, Indra, what do you say??? :D Reptile and I can show you all the wineries in the Clare Valley, er, I mean take you to the Day on the Green ..... :shifty:

Wow, what a line up!!!!

I'd love to do that. Hell I'd love to come in November and just stalk around after them for a few months. :) I heard that Marty was so excited about the various gigs and plans that he was practically bouncing off the wall. How adorable! :cute:

Speaking of adorable I would love to see the SK/MWP shows. Those two had such a great rapport going during the US shows. I would love to see the comedy/music gig they could put on.

Oh well, I'll just sit home and pout. :sad:

And then I'm come here post stuff in this here "thread that will not die." :) (it is getting close to the 500 posts mark though. :uhoh: Guess when that happens I'll have to start up another one. Have to think of a snappy name for it. :hmm: :D

indra said:
I'd love to do that. Hell I'd love to come in November and just stalk around after them for a few months. :) I heard that Marty was so excited about the various gigs and plans that he was practically bouncing off the wall. How adorable! :cute:

Speaking of adorable I would love to see the SK/MWP shows. Those two had such a great rapport going during the US shows. I would love to see the comedy/music gig they could put on.

Oh well, I'll just sit home and pout. :sad:

And then I'm come here post stuff in this here "thread that will not die." :) (it is getting close to the 500 posts mark though. :uhoh: Guess when that happens I'll have to start up another one. Have to think of a snappy name for it. :hmm: :D

Sooner or later, you're coming to this land of Church, mark my words!!!!! :yes:

indra said:
AKA The all the stuff you never considered asking about The Church because you don't give a crap and you don't know who they are in the first place thread.... :huh:

AKA indra's ode to that damned band she can't shut up about....

I was planning on waiting to post this until the band's new album was released, but that has recently been pushed back from Sept. to Feb. :( Besides, I can discuss The Church incessently for six months easy. :D And perhaps drag a few of you kicking and screaming into Church fan land. (I need replacements -- Steve told me I wasn't allowed to strangle any current Church fans without replacing them with fresh meat. Spoil sport. :mad: )

A little blurb about them -- courtesy of All Music Guide:

"Best known for the shimmering "Under the Milky Way," their lone Top 40 hit, the Australian band the Church combined the jangling guitar pop of '60s icons like the Byrds with the opaque wordplay of frontman Steve Kilbey to create a lush, melancholy brand of neo-psychedelia rich in texture and melody."

Yep, they are that Under The Milky Way band, and some might also know The Unguarded Moment, Almost With You, Reptile, and Metropolis.

And for someone who can ramble on and on and on about this band I am suddenly unable to come up with anything else. :( Of course it's 6:30 am here, I've been up all night, and the dog has to pee.

Never fear...I'll post more later. :D
wow i am glad i found this thread. I love the church!

Hiya bob! I'm glad you found the thread too. :)

Videos for the song Easy.

First one is the single edit of the song. Second is the album cut.

single edit version

album edit

I generally hate videos, but these are kinda fun. Reminds me of the tour, which they should I guess since that's where the footage is from. :)

indra said:
Hiya bob! I'm glad you found the thread too. :)

Videos for the song Easy.

First one is the single edit of the song. Second is the album cut.

single edit version

album edit

I generally hate videos, but these are kinda fun. Reminds me of the tour, which they should I guess since that's where the footage is from. :)
What a great pop song, I remember being blown away when I heard it live, and worth it just to hear SK say "Easy, baby" :love:

So, Indra, any of your camera work in the vid? And which chicky babe are you??? :D

bob dylan said:
you have beast w two backs?

Back With two Beasts -- yep, I do. Excellent album :)

blueeyedgirl said:

What a great pop song, I remember being blown away when I heard it live, and worth it just to hear SK say "Easy, baby" :love:

So, Indra, any of your camera work in the vid? And which chicky babe are you??? :D

It's is a pretty cool little song, isn't it? :) Just imagine answering the phone one evening and having that voice say "you've been a very naughty girl again, haven't you?" :swoon: :love:

There actually might be two very quick snippets of the footage I took in the shorter video. The two it might be are a quick shot of MWP pretty near the beginning and then another quick shot of Steve close to the end. Both are black and white (or very faintly tinted) and they seem to be at the right angle for it to be what I took in Cincy. The hard thing is they are both close up shots so I can't see anything in the background to tell me for sure where it was taken. There is a shot at the end from Cincy, but it was taken from one of PV's cameras in the back. It shows PK and MWP and back of the stage is a brick wall (that bit is also in black and white).

No footage of me though...I make sure to stay out of range of any cameras. :wink:

Oh, noticed this in Stevie's blog today:

today the c. is going in studio
a beautiful studio
full of nice olde fashioned things
make a little record
not THE record
just a little record

Yay!!! :hyper:

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Very happy today that I gots me tickets for SK & MWP gig in Melbourne on December 13, yay :hyper: I have a feeling that it's going to be one amazing show!!

Now I just have to figure out which of the Church gigs (with the Pretenders) I can make it to in the new year! :hmm:

BTW .. blueeyedgirl, if you are reading this :wave: I read that you're going to U2's Melbourne II show! Do you have GA tix?? Maybe I will see you there, it'd be nice to say hi and have a MWP appreciation chat!!!

(I might wear my Church 'magnetic strip' tour t-shirt, just in case :wink: !)

Last edited:
.....BEG has gone off MWP...its the 'tach.....she doesnt like the 'tach....fickle i know but thats BEG for you.....

.......(reptile running and looking for place to hide).....

:help:

Try PLEBA, they're really quiet there :madwife:

Yes TranceEnding I will be in GA with a Melb friend of mine. A Choich t-shirt will probably be the easiest way to spot you in amongst 60,000 people!!! (reptile will be hiding in A-reserve :wink: )

reptile said:
.....BEG has gone off MWP...its the 'tach.....she doesnt like the 'tach....fickle i know but thats BEG for you.....

.......(reptile running and looking for place to hide).....

:help:

at first I was a little :huh:

but I finally cottoned on to what you were talking about :wink:

Personally, I rather like the moustache :love: but then, I'm easily pleased :wink:

Ah, TranceEnding, meet reptile, long time AWOL but suddenly today he's popping up everywhere :lol:

I haven't seen the tache yet, U2 is kinda all-consuming this week :wink: , is it OK? :uhoh:

I don't know what gate I have yet, the tix are in Melb, but I will try to keep an eye out for you! :up:

Ahhh, hello Mr Reptile :wave: pleased to meet you! :wink:

Oh! The tache, haha .. when I first saw IT in Melbourne, I thought (FRIGHT!! :ohmy: ) who are YOU and what have you done with Marty!!

But, it grew on me as the night wore on and eventually, I thought hmmmmmm ... that looks good! In a pirate-y sort of way, haha :drool:

Anyway, it'd be fun to catch up on sunday - ya never know!!! Hey, are you guys seeing SK/MWP in Adelaide???? Or any of the Churchy shows in the new year??

Oh! And have an awesome time tonight!

Yay! :dancing:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom