The effect of listening to something over and over again.All we all under a delusion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
I thought of that the other day when I witnessed how much one's life can be affected by chance...

So I was thinking... Could we all possible living under a delusion that we chose to be obsessed with U2 while it just happened like that? Could we maybe, just maybe, have listened to With or Without You some years ago, really liked the song, found out it was U2, bought the joshua tree, listened to it over and over again, gotten obsessed with U2 bought the other albums and the rest be history...

And could it have happened that we had listened to Losing My Religion on the radio, found out it was REM, bought "Out Of Time", listened to it over and over again, gotten obsessed with REM and then the rest be history?

So are we all being U2 fans because it just "happened" like that and not because we would have chosen U2 as our favourite band anyway? Because once you get obsessed with a band in the way some people are obsessed with U2 in here, there's no return... You got married with them for ever!

After listening to U2 over and over again, even if we just initially liked one song or one album, could it be that we became U2 obsessed after listening to their music over and over again? And if we were listening another band's records over and over again, would we have gotten obsessed with them?

What's your view on all this?

Andy

[This message has been edited by voxson (edited 12-02-2001).]

I don't really understand your question, I think you should word it better...I refrain to answer to this seemingly interested question before I understand fully what your saying. Don't want to make an idiot outta myself
smile.gif

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

I'm not certain I understand the question either
biggrin.gif
But one thing I can say is that with my favourite groups or singers, including U2, Sting, Led Zeppelin, and maybe a few others, I can point to the reasons why and when I really became a fan...but I know almost for sure that I would have become a fan sooner or later anyway. For instance, my brother bought The Joshua Tree when I was fairly young and I always liked it. I even remember looking at U2 tapes in the store when I was eleven or twelve--before I started buying my own music--and thinking "I'd like to get something by them someday..." it was like I knew someday I would be a big fan. I became a Sting fan when I was eleven also because of my brother but I know I would have started liking him sooner or later because I just love that kind of music. In that way, some things are meant to be.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

the only reason i would 'become obsessed' with anything was if i enjoyed what it was i would be listening to over and over again.
i've heard/seen/experienced lots of artistic expression that i have been unimpressed with.
U2 did impress me.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

Well, to start with, I tend to have a very obssessive-addictive personality, so things that I find that I like...I LIKE A LOT. Food, music, clothes, SHOES. Like, to the "Nth degree," over the top, I just can't get enough....and repeat plays, of course. But I'm picky, as well. I only like the BEST.
wink.gif

But let me tell ya, nothing was like the lightening bolt that hit me when I put that Best Of 1980-90 video into my VCR and heard those first icey notes of, and saw Bono's face on, the Unforgettable Fire video.

That was all she wrote. I was hooked like a marlin on a 50 lb. line. And they are THE BEST. There are just so many things about this band that continue to amaze me and make me love them even more. This is one obsession I hope never leaves me, cos I'm lovin the roller coaster ride it's taken me on so far!! (white knuckles and all!)

Originally posted by voxson:
After listening to U2 over and over again, even if we just initially liked one song or one album, could it be that we became U2 obsessed after listening to their music over and over again? And if we were listening another band's records over and over again, would we have gotten obsessed with them?

What's your view on all this?

During the course of raising two small children, I have listened to Barney over and over again - and I am most definitely not obsessed.
wink.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom